TMJ Splint Causes Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by kelpiemsp, Jun 29, 2018.

1. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      So, over the last month my tinnitus has been getting slowly better and slowly improving. My ear fullness in both ears is there non stop. But alas, one problem at a time. Anyways, in this time frame, I also lost my TMJ splint. My child hid it in the crockpot. I found it and started wearing it again. Three times I have put it in and then wore it (probably about 8-12 hours each time) and I notice an extreme spike in my tinnitus. Last three times in a row. Last night was rough as even the shower couldn't mask.

I wonder if its possible that my TMJ is healing to the point where the guard (it's raised pretty tall), is causing me to clench, and reposition my jaw incorrectly, and leads to another spike.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed their splint causing immediate spikes?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      How long were you wearing the splint originally before you lost it??

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      About two months with no height added. Then about a week after that, they added several millimeters to the back half. It was then lost for about a month.

4. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      I guess why I ask is that I am in a very similar position. I know that when they raise it that it "can" cause pain.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's odd because I feel like it relieves my ear pressure, but by the same token, I think because I still always play with it or something, I am increasing the amount of somatic muscle tension. Whatever that means... sigh...