TMJ? Will My Tinnitus Go Away or Decrease After My Jaw Is Fixed?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Harris08, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Harris08
      Scared

Harris08 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey! I have tinnitus for over an year now, it's 24/7. And I just turned 16, there's no hearing loss.

And I went to the ENT and he didn't help at all.

When I move my neck my tinnitus gets louder, and when I press my teeth together, it also gets louder, and when I open my mouth, I hear popping/clicking in my ear too.

I read an article and it said that my tinnitus can be caused by TMJ. My doctor said that I have to go to a dentist and he'll send me to an otolaryngologist.

Do you think my tinnitus will go away or even decrease after my jaw is fixed? Tinnitus ruined my life, I have no one to talk to. But now it feels so good to talk to people who know what I'm going through. Like why me? Why not somebody else? What did I do to deserve this.

Sorry for bringing negativity, but I had to get this off my chest. Thank you.

2. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Most people's ringing won't go away after TMJ treatments, they're a money waster.

3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      If your tinnitus is being caused by TMJ then there's no reason why it won't go away if you can fix it.

4. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Hi @Harris08

I completely disagree with the earlier negative response you got to this... in fact there's a lot of success stories of people's tinnitus going completely away after getting TMJ treatment to fix their jaw. It's never a waste of money to get yourself healthy. Especially if you're 16 hopefully you're on your parents healthcare!

My ear ringing is caused by my severe TMJ, which causes neck muscle issues, misalignment, etc. I'm almost a month in with treatment and feel about 50% better. I'm also doing acupuncture as well seeing my neuromuscular dentist. I'm confident mine will completely disappear in the coming months! I didn't have it for a full year, I started noticing it the last week of August and sought TMJ treatment a week after bc I already knew i had TMJ. However there's people who have had T for 5 years and got TMJ treatment and had their T greatly improve.

You're young and your body can heal, I'm very hopeful for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. aberob

aberob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a variant of meniers maybe, and or anxiety
      I sure hope the T goes away after TMJ treatment. Like you I am going thru those why questions and just joined this forum. It gives hope and a chance to learn. No one seems to understand what we are going thru except here.
      take care

• Like Like x 1
    6. alleycat

alleycat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      @aberob
      Yes, i have seen only small improvement in the ear ringing with my TMJ treatment so far, but its only been 6 weeks since I started treatment, and 7 weeks since the ear ringing started. I'm very excited for the day I can't hear it at all! TMJ treatment however takes time, however my jaw already feels a lot better, and although the ringing isn't fully gone yet, my ear pain is a lot better now. My doctor estimated 4 months until I see big improvement.

I also started acupuncture on top of my mouth splint, and TENs therapy, acupuncture has had a lot of success with ear ringing depending on the cause of the ringing. So far I've had two sessions and they have really helped calm my nerves and headaches.

• Like Like x 2
    7. aberob

aberob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      a variant of meniers maybe, and or anxiety
      @alleycat That is good news that it is working so far! I need to calm my nerves too.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Codaz

Codaz Member

@Harris08 Read the extensive posts I did and do here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ial-pain-etc-—-possible-treatment.500/page-37

Then you know TMJ is a bitter, expensive and long fight. TMJ Therapy is far from a money waste. It helps. But don't expect results after 10 sessions. I needed four to five months of treatment before any results started to show up. And I'm now four years into TMJ treatment and it isn't over yet. Most TMJ patients go over the same road of misery but going to frequent therapy sessions is the only road I know of that works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      For a week I've noticed that my jaw is slightly shifted to the right and my jaw joints ache sometimes. I think this could be slight TMJ. Could fixing this help reduce my tinnitus?

10. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know how to put a link in, but I noticed other threads like yours...
      TMJ? Will My Tinnitus Go Away or Decrease After My Jaw Is Fixed?

11. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      TMJ can be a single issue, but often there's a connection to the cervical spine. If a TMJ problem is single, not involving the neck, then it gets more complicated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint

There can be a cervical mandibular connection. In this situation usually the TMJ happens after the neck causes tinnitus.
      The C1 vertebrate connects to the occlusal plane. See thread Cervical / Neck retraction - post #6 and post #7 for more discussion. Video also below. With both a neck problem and TMJ, then the first thing to consider is the neck at C1.
      The Mandibular (lower jaw) Cervical (neck)...

• Informative Informative x 4
    12. Codaz

Codaz Member

Only a TMJ therapist can do proper consultation if jaw alignment is right. And remember: even with 100% allignment and occlusion still underlying jaw problems can occur. I have seen people with facial pain and who clench but do not show any signs of tinnitus. Or clench and have worn teeth. So it's a very individual thing.

13. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This sounds true. My jaw is definitely misaligned, as it shifts to the right. The left side of my moth is 1/2 a cm lower than the right side of my mouth. I did some TMJ tinnitus tests and I have those signs. My dad (Who is a dentist) Is giving me a check up soon anyways.

14. Codaz

Codaz Member

If your dad is able to give you a referral to someone who can make you an NTI-TSS bite splint or normal custom mold bite splint that would be adviseable as there is no way to stop clenching / grinding if you don't wear such a device at night, and even at daytime.

It might even go worse and you get teeth wear as TMJ might come from clenching/grinding. And you cannot check that yourself, maybe if you videotape yourself while asleep.

• Helpful Helpful x 1