TMS May Have Caused My Tinnitus to Get Much Worse

Discussion in 'Support' started by sandip, Sep 28, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2008, became much worse August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened after rTMS treatment for depression
      I've had hearing loss and tinnitus in my left year since 2008, but it was not so bothersome. I was able to sleep and meditate without any problem.

Then starting in July 2015 I underwent repetetive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) for treatment of depression. After 6 weeks my treatment was stopped because my depression was not lessening. A few days later I noticed that the ringing in my left ear was much louder than before. So loud in fact that I could no longer sleep or meditate. It is now a fast high pitched sound that is making me feel suicidal. I'm even beginning to hear some ringing in my right ear as well. I don't know what to do now.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Unfortunately this work is still very much in the early stages, but several studies have found that particular TMS protocols can have a beneficial effect on tinnitus -- so it seems quite possible to me that other protocols could have a detrimental effect.

Of course, stress and anxiety can also increase tinnitus, and sometimes tinnitus just has a mind of its own.

If you're substantially wealth, the Stubbeman Clinic in LA claims to have some expertise in this regard with TMS, and might be a good starting point. (I was quoted ~35-40K USD for the full treatment, but a consultation about your specific situation might be a different matter).

From what I have read, problems as a result of TMS are thought to improve with time.

3. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      40 k ...shit , and does nothing I am sure :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Sandip,
      I think it will settle down.
      As tinnitus comes from the Limbic part of the brain where our feelings come from it may have triggered a spike.
      See your doctor and he might give you something to help you.
      Im sorry your depression is bad and I totally understand about that and hope you have a understanding family and friends to help you.

Welcome pm me anytime or phone me if in the uk....lots of love glynis.

5. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My TMS treatment for depression was covered by my insurance which is CareFirst. I only had a $40 copay per session. Still expensive but affordable for me. I had about 28 sessions.

6. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks glynis.

7. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is awful! Perhaps after some time it will settle. I guess it could have over excited some nerves as they work by electrical signal don't they? In time maybe it will settle back down.

8. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I hope so.

9. Joan A.
      No Mood

Joan A. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2000/ spike 2006/ massive 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknow
      Hi Sandip;

i'm going for the rTMS on december (because now i'm working). Maybe that comorbidity between tinnitus and depression make it worse. I hope you recover soon. If the depression improve, the tinnitus should improve like a consequence of phisiological establishment in the brain. I cross the fingers for you! Hold on! :huganimation:

10. sandip
      Scared

sandip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Joan A.,

Are you going for rTMS for treatment of depression or tinnitus? After 6 weeks of rTMS my depression did not improve, I believe it got worse. A few days after the treatment stopped, I noticed that my T was much louder and higher pitched. It's been a month now and it still hasn't gone down.