Tobramycin Eye Drops — Now Tinnitus This Morning. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Julryan, May 24, 2018.

1. Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Hi all - I was prescribed Tobradex eye drops for eye inflammation. Only on it for 2 days, 2x day.

Last night right after installing 4th drop I began to hear a high pitched hissing sound similar to something electronic. I thought it was the tv or a malfunctioning dimmer switch but it's in my ears!

Then I googled and it's ototoxic. I hoped it would have stopped this morning but no.

Does anyone think this might go away? I'm not taking anymore of the drops. It's such a small amount, how is this even possible? Anyone think it might go away? I'm terrified. Thank you for your help!

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, it's quite possible it'll go away, but no-one can tell you for sure.
      Good thing you stopped taking the drops. Perhaps you could have a discussion with your doc about it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Thank you. My dr is claiming no connection to tobramycin drops and is giving zero feedback. Im really terrified. Thanks again. Any other thoughts, experiences, please post!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Some Chemists sell eye infection treatment and will tell you more about them.
      Love glynis

5. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Have you taken other meds in the past two months?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      I've taken Advil and Tylenol occasionally. Now I'm on nothing at all. I keep reading that any damage from this class of drug is irreversible?? Does that include tinnitus from a total of 4 eye drops?

7. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I could swear it's not the first time I read an anecdotal evidence (in here, actually) about eye drops being correlated with T onset.

It depends what is damaged and the extent of the damage. Cochlea hair cells don't regenerate indeed if they die, but sometimes the systems are "disabled" or "damaged" rather than "dead", and so they manage to recover with time (the ear is notorious for taking a long time to heal).

Perhaps it'd be good to have a hearing test to get a snapshot of your hearing? There could be correlation but no causation...

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Thank you for your thoughtful replies. Im really hoping it calms down since it was such a small amount of medication but unfortunately that may not matter. Im feeling very anxious. I appreciate the support and not being alone. Its quite a shock when it starts so suddenly. I see many many people are in the same boat and learn to cope. I hope i learn too! Thanks.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yup, there's always that transition moment from "it was all good" to "oh my how can it be that bad?". For some of us it's brutal. I went to bed without T, and woke up in the middle of the night with screeching T that hasn't left me for a second since.

Good luck!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Julryan

Julryan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tobramycin
      Im sorry so to hear that. Wow. Thats awful. Have you learned to cope with it? Do you ever adjust?

11. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Not sure I'd say I've learned to cope with it, but I don't have any more anxiety about it.

12. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      Aminoglycosides do indeed cause permanent damage. However, I've used those drops before without any lasting effects. Very little gets in your bloodstream. I'd stop using them.

Paromomycin is what caused my issue. Also an aminoglycoside.

13. David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      I have been given Tobradex for an ear infection instead of Ciprodex. Is it ototoxic? I already have tinnitus and hyperacusis, and don't need it ramped up. I was using Locacorten but that hasn't done anything.

Should I try this stuff or no? Or go to the doctor tomorrow am for something else? What would be worse, Ciprodex or Tobradex? Is there anything else to use for a very painful outer ear infection?

Thanks.

14. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      The amount absorbed by the eye won't reach your cochlea. It won't make your tinnitus or hyperacusis worse.

I've used Tobradex in two separate occasions in the past 5 years. No problems!

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I understand your concern.

I have used garlic mullein oil with some success for ear infections.

Given it is an external ear infection, maybe consider an oral preparation such as Amoxil (Amoxicillin) or Keflex (Cefalexin).

I would avoid 'icins and the fluoroquinolones. A pharmacist friend of mine said recently that even with an intact drum, it is still possible for meds (unsure to what degree) to penetrate.

You could consider immune support too - such as Zinc and liposomal vitamin C.