Tonight Is an Opportunity (Coast to Coast AM Radio Awareness Call In)!

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Dubbyaman, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      • Winner Winner x 6
      • Like Like x 3
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well done Dubbyaman you're a lovely caring man and come across a lovely warm honest person and lovely to listen too xxxx

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Thank you @glynis You are a lovely person as well :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      @Dubbyaman – you have first-class advocacy skills. The difference in terms of personal competency between those who display self-leadership and those who do not, is not just two-fold, but more like 10-fold.

Mike Rowe talks about having a driven personality trait in this clip:

It's a shame not more people get involved, but it is what it is...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      • Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @attheedgeofscience Thank you sir. I try I guess. It just frustrates me how no one talks about this. For some reason, hearing is left out of almost everything in public conversation and when it is mentioned, they only talk about hearing loss and not tinnitus or hyperacusis which in my opinion are far far worse. I just discovered recently that I cant hear anything over 8k in my right ear. It makes me feel awful because I'm only 35. BUT that being said, my right ear also has NO tinnitus so I can forget about it very quickly. I really hope stem cell therapy ramps up. You mentioned in another thread that some people have already had hearing improvement from stem cell treatment. My friend told me that a couple people in the UK had stem cell treatment for blindness and they went from completely blind to being able to read and legally drive.
      @threefirefour Yeah man. Give it a shot. Just in case you didn't watch the video, the best time to call in is on Fridays between 4am and 5am eastern time. This is their open lines segment where callers can call in and chat about whatever.

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      All of the three (i.e. hearing loss, tinnitus, and hyperacusis) are kind of "niche" matters in medicine. Society is dealing with far more basic issues which makes it harder for niche stuff to get people's attention. As an example, the opioid epidemic in the US claimed around 17,000 lives in 2016. In that same year, there were about 45,000 suicides (of which tinnitus as a cause of suicide was just a fraction). Needless to say, hardcore public preventive medicine deals with stuff like obesity, stroke, cancer, and diabetes. Not tinnitus; not hearing loss; and certainly not hyperacusis.

For the same reason, funding for tinnitus research is negligible and hence calling in on a radio show is a really cost-effective method that has the potential to reach a lot of people and perhaps "make some noise" (which was the ATA's motto in their 2016 webinars).

MakeSomeNoise_Graphic.jpg

Similarly trying to find a way to effectively copy the ice bucket challenge is hopeless. There will never be a movement to support such a concept. So, again: it's about winning the few points that can be won and being opportunistic about it. While some disease areas (and their respective organizations) may be blessed with lots of funding, the tinnitus community will continue to have to eat the crumbs that are leftovers from the plates of the rich.

That's just the way it is...

I do too. But, stem cells have a wide area of application in medicine, and so, I think targeted approaches are probably better for medical conditions like tinnitus. So the emerging field of inner ear pharma companies and their pipelines is what to focus on, I think. Having said that, the outcome of the Florida Hospital for Children study is of course important: it was designed using stem cell technology that is already available on the market today. And so, a good result could fast forward the waiting period for hearing loss. We shall see...

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. reggie green
      Balanced

reggie green Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/08/2001
      Thank you. I will call this Friday.

• Winner Winner x 1