Took Remeron For Sleep Last Night

Discussion in 'Support' started by Carlos1, Jun 4, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I took remeron for sleep last nite for the first time...... took awhile to fall asleep but once I did I had a great nite of sleep. I slept for 6-7 hours straight woke up in the morning and the T was as low as its ever been. Question is was it the Rem or the fact that I had a great nite sleep that reduced the T? And if that's the case would this point to the brain as the culprit as opposed to structural damaged to the ear? This T thing is tough to figure out.

Carlos

2. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Carlos, having a good nights sleep as opposed to a bad one tends to make the t better, or at least seem better, for most people. However, having taken Remeron myself I will say that for the first week or two of taking it the T did seem to go down very slightly in volume and didn't seem as "aggressive"..however this effect for me wore off over a couple of weeks.

The other thing to bear in mind is that Remeron has anti depressant and anti anxiety effects so these also help towards feeling the t isn't as bad (not sure how long you have been taking the remeron but I found the anti anxiety/depressant effect kicked in almost immediately even though the doc said it might take a few weeks) But again for me the anti anxiety/depressant effect seem to taper out/wear off.

I said this before..but the main thing to watch out for on Remeron is weight gain..you got to have some serious willpower to control your appetite and not binge eat sugary foods and even if you manage to do that it does seem to slow the metabolism so be sure to eat healthy and take regular exercise :)

x

3. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      This is an interesting topic. A few years back, a member of the TSMB board (Firebat) explained that occasional use of 7.5mg to 15mg of Remeron would ensure him a tinnitus-free day upon waking. I experimented and found similar results. It was not a 100% success rate, but close.

About a year later, I started taking Remeron regularly. While I still enjoy great sleeps almost every night, I am back to my usual pattern of hit or miss with the quiet days.

I suspect that when Remeron is taken occasionally, the body is thrown into a unexpected relaxation state. So in effect, the (drug-induced/enhanced) sleep is the cause. My theory is that with regular use, the body is no longer caught off-guard, so to speak. As such, one acclimates to regular deep sleeps and the accompanying relaxation state is not obtained to the same degree.

These are just my theories. And of course, there is the story of the guy whose tinnitus was cured with regular use of 7.5mg Remeron (recently posted here at TT). Perhaps for him, it really is the drug that is quieting his tinnitus.

-Golly

4. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I find it amazing how for some Remeron really seems to help and that for others, such as myself, it has been the cause of a terrible tinnitus increase.
      Remeron is a prescription anti-depressant and it should be taken every day, at the same time, and officially, you cannot just take it one day yes, one day no, or stop taking it suddenly.
      There are many websites where people are warned for this.
      I am happy for those Remeron helped, but please be careful and don't experiment or use it like it is an innocent candy.
      Maria

5. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Yes, we are all different.
      I am taking Remeron for 8 months now.
      Increased my dose to the maximum of 45 mg since anxiety was too high.
      But this dosage is more for depression and not for sleeping.
      For good sleep, 7,5 to 15 mg are sufficient.
      I have a solid sleep of 8-9 hours. Maybe I would also have without since I was always a robust sleeper.
      It has no effect on my T.
      It has also not much effect on my weight.
      Because of T, stress and anxiety, I am not hungry at all.
      That I eat chocolate is more for calming the nerves.
      Exercising is difficult for me since the whole situation takes my resources and exhausts me.
      So walking is what I do regularly.

6. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal

Hi Maria I started on a very low dose for sleep 7.5 mg and it's been allowing me to get a better sleep. I hear what your saying about it being a AD medicine but isn't Trazadone the same thing and doctors prescribe that for sleep.
      I don't want to be on Rem long tine but for now I'll just use it till things fall back into place.

7. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I agree that the official line you quote is correct in treating depression: the condition for which Remeron was intended. For off-label uses, such as the treatment of insomnia and/or tinnitus, doses and schedules can vary. I understand from several doctors that there is no harm in the occasional use of 7.5mg or 15mg of Remeron before bed. The extent to which it can actually help with tinnitus is not clear. I think that most people would agree, however, that Remeron is an excellent sleeping pill!

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Yes my doctor said the same: no harm... but it did harm me and I would like to warn others.

Just because a drug has a reputation of being safe does not mean it is safe. I am not the only one, maybe have a lot at this report: https://www.druginformer.com/search/side_effect_details/remeron/tinnitus.html.

And if its so fine to take the drug on and off, then why do so many people suffer from terrible withdrawal symptoms (and not just depression!) when they taper off or suddenly stop? And why does it even say in the label that you should never change dosage or stop suddenly unless its done in a very slow way, and in consultation with your doctor?

When I went back to my pharmacist she told me that yes, it must be taken every day because it can mess with the chemical balance in your brain.
      That is not something to take lightly when what you are trying to do is fix your brain.

So yes, the chemicals make us sleepy, and what else do they do??

I also found this information in the library:

In general, some antidepressants, can paradoxically exacerbate some peoples' depression or anxiety or cause suicidal ideation. Despite its sedating action, mirtazapine is also believed to be capable of this, and for this reason in the US and certain other countries it carries a black box label warning of these potential effects. Möller, HJ (December 2006). "Is there evidence for negative effects of antidepressants on suicidality in depressive patients? A systematic review".

and:

Mirtazapine and other antidepressants may cause a withdrawal syndrome upon discontinuation. A gradual and slow reduction in dose is recommended in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Effects of sudden cessation of treatment with Mirtazapine may include depression, anxiety, panic attacks, vertigo, restlessness, irritability, hallucinations, insomnia, diarrhoea, nausea, allergies, headaches, hypomania or mania. Benazzi, F (June 1998). "Mirtazapine withdrawal symptoms".

It worries me how some people here (understandably) hold one to a few positive stories and ignore the negative ones. I have searched this forum and others, and have found many, many cases of people who had their tinnitus worsened (and even lost their hearing!) because of Remeron.

Like I said, I am happy for those who use Remeron happily, but I want to warn people that it is a chemical drug with many potential side effects and it can go wrong for some people, which is the last thing you need when you are already in a dark place.

On top of everything else, anti-depressants have been proven to be incredibly ineffective and highly addictive for those who suffer from depression. Very contradicting, but it is a ''detail'' that the pharmaceutical industry does not want us to dwell on. They prefer us to have faith in medication and trust the doctors who make money on prescribing them.

I am sorry if this goes against what some people believe, but I think it is important that we remain objective and critical, instead of accepting what we are being told because someone is wearing a white coat, and taking pills we do not understand.

Maria

9. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      @MariaH;

I agree with your post: immediate discontinuation of regular use of Remeron is ill-advised.

Know, however, that therapeutic doses are typically 30mg to 45mg. Once we are down to 7.5mg or even 3.75mg, it's hard to chop the pill up any more! That is, the next lowest dose is more or less zero!

The odd thing about Remeron is that its sedating properties are more pronounced at lower doses (3.75mg to 15mg). So as an occasional sleep aid, say once or twice a week at these low doses, (I understand from reliable sources that) withdrawal effects are unlikely.

But again, you raise a good point: Remeron, while a comparatively safe drug, has possible side effects (e.g., weight gain) and complications.

-Golly

10. MCK Trader
      Cowboy

MCK Trader Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Howdy @ MariaH,

Since I'm new to this forum -- I'm curious what particular dosage of remeron that you are using for your argument reference in your quoted statements. And, I have little disagreement with your overall statements. However, after 5 months with T, my insomnia is often severe [sound machine isn't sufficiently effective either], thus I'm in desperate need for some sleep...even if it's 5-6 hours per night for 2 or three nights a week. I've tried most of the 'common' OTC supplements and none have been very effective. Further, I'm carefully followed all known traditional protocols for sleep hygiene / nightly preparation for sleep to no consistent success. Several forum members here seem to identify little to no problems [with T or otherwise] when using remeron for random, somewhat occasional use to gain benefit from restful sleep, even for 2-3 nights per week. I contemplating trying a 7.5mg dosage hopefully for some restful sleep. So that's the purpose of my queston to you -- what quantity / dose remeron were you referencing ? That information could be useful to know.

Thanks,

MCK Trader

P.S. How about beginning a 'new' thread that pertains only to tinnitus sleep meds / supplements / protocols?

11. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      For sleep it is usually the case that less is more. If you have 15mg tabs and are only using them for sleep and not for their antidepressant properties then you can happily cut the tabs into thirds or even quarters and they will work as well, or even better, than taking a full tab. You will probably find yourself with a sort of hung-over feeling in the morning but for me it usually passes around 12 hours after taking a tab. Unfortunately this is usually the same for any hypnotic type drug which is why I very rarely use them. Interestingly though, after using them regularly you become more tolerant to the drowsing effects, but also more tolerant to the hypnotic effect so that they will no longer put you to sleep as they once would. To avoid this you could combine them with the occasional use of trazodone, another readily available antidepressant, or OTC solutions such as diphenhydramine and doxylamine.

12. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Maria
      Please, did you get better due time after taking Remeron? I had too increase of T after taking antidepressant and sleeping meds.. But my state after worsening is stable..

13. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Gebora, it has been over a year since I stopped taking them and my tinnitus is slowly starting to decrease. I will write you a personal message tomorrow. Take care, Maria

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      .last night i took 12 g mirtazipine and 0.5 klonopam ? sleep well. but wake up with bigest T that ususaly .usualy i taking just 0.5 klonopam and 25 voldoxan but not sleep well. so what do you think continue mirtazipine or quit it ? in time mirtazipine can increase or reduse T ?

Some times before i took remeron 15 before, but somehow it doesn’t worked. then I took 30g sleep very well but wake up with biggest T. then I stopped remeron. now i used it again

or maybe somebody tryed 50 voldoxan, how it is works ?

15. Golly
      Bookworm

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have been using Remeron regularly for a few years now. It reliably gives me a good sleep and does not seem to have any effect upon my tinnitus. I used to take 15mg at night; now I take only 7.5mg. Most people that I have heard from have not experienced negative effects in connection with tinnitus. If you are concerned, however, discuss with your doctor and consider giving it up. I suspect that if indeed Remeron is increasing your tinnitus, the effect will cease once you stop the drug.

-Golly

16. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      sure Remeron increased T , because the same thing was when some time ago i took 30g Remeron. but it will incretase T in time or decrease in time.