Tool Concert! Could Use Some Motivation or Support!

Discussion in 'Support' started by st0rch, Jun 11, 2016.

1. st0rch
      Creative

st0rch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hey everyone,

I recently bought tickets to Tool in SLC on october 24th. I have had tinnitus for about 3 years now, and the great news is I am pretty much habituated (coming from almost being suicidal when it started). I've been in a couple loud places (bars, parties, etc) lately with absolutely no problem or increase.

I have wanted to see this band since I was a kid, and today I purchased tickets. The nervousness and depression is setting in that I might not want to risk worsening my tinnitus. It's in a very large concert venue, my seats are in the fourth row about 3 sections over from the stage (pretty damn good seats, but probably a little close)

I read posts where users have gone with some good foam plugs and had no problem. The show is predicted to be about an hour and a half long, and if I do go I'll be taking a couple breaks. Not every song will be crazy loud, but I am still very worried for the ones that are. I listen to music decently loud in my car without plugs, but of course it's for very short periods of time.

Any motivation, suggestions on plugs and going / not going, would be appreciated very much. I want my life back now.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Why do you want to risk permanent spike for a couple of hours entertainment?
      i wont risk it as i wont be able to forgive myself if there is a permanent spike.

I have seen some in this forum who have done it and got permanent spike.

My 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you must go try getting noise reduction plugs as are better than foam.
      If you suffer from anxiety and depression as well as tinnitus it could work both ways.
      First would be have a amazing time and help your depression.
      Second would be could you cope if your tinnitus did spike or worsen due to the concert ?

You need to have a good think about it and go with how you feel about the points I have made.....lots of love glynis

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Foam plugs actually provide the highest NRR unless you are wearing fitted plugs.

Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you are set on going, wear the best plugs possible, and be sure to test them before the concert. Heros xtreme work best for me.
      I know it may look a little awkward, but would it be possible to bring earmuffs just in case things do get too loud? Maybe take NAC before going.

I recently talked with a friend who used to go to a lot of concerts and asked how he managed to never get tinnitus. He told me there are different places in the venue that aren't as loud, if it was too loud or uncomfortable he would move. Unfortunately that's not an option with assigned seats.

• Winner Winner x 1
    5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I've been to a lot of concerts with musicians ear plugs. Not had a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      foam plugs and some good silicone plugs don't reduce noise well if they are not perfeclty set in and sometimes its just difficult, painful or time consuming to do it. I would bring a pair of good Peltor earmuffs with me just in case and double up / muffs over plugs , close your mouth as well and don't shout

• Winner Winner x 1
    7. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey storch! thats great that you have habituated thats great!!
      to be honest i would say its great that you are gonna see tool,
      but im worried that the seats might be a little to near to the stage.
      i havent been back to concerts, but if i ever going, to... ill pick the seats that are more far from the stage hehe.
      protect your ears, and never put on risk what you already achieve.
      good times are coming, we just have to wait a little more.
      :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Andrei88
      No Mood

Andrei88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hey man, wear the best ear plugs you can get your hands on! If you feel its too loud at anytime during the concert just leave, its not worth the risk if you feel its getting too loud.

9. Zora
      Depressed

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Cool that you are habituated!! :) I would go!! All the people saying dont go are not habituated or very early into having T. We need to live!
      Some very good earplugs and it should be okay

When you say you are going to parties, do you mean clubs as well?

10. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I got my T even after wearing musicians ear plugs with 25db filter and i am not the only one