Transforming Tinnitus (Taking on the Form of Real Noises)

Discussion in 'Support' started by bill 112, Apr 14, 2016.

1. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hey guys just want to share something very unusual that's been happening the last few weeks.Sometimes when I'm lying in bed with T screaming away it will suddenly disappear completely and take on the form of real noises!Like a dog barking or a song or even the sound of traffic.It lasts a few seconds before stopping and the T fades back in to replace it?Anyone else experience this?It almost feels like a mini auditory seizure.

2. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      Hey @bill 112 , been seeing your posts on here lately and I'm sorry to see you're having such a hard time lately. My H has increased quite a bit over the last month for unknown reasons after being virtually gone for 6 months....it sucks to say the least. Right before finals too....sigh.

Anyway though, I haven't experienced dogs barking or music, but I do remember in my first 3-4 months with T and H, in the midst of an anxiety attack my normal high-pitched hissing T turned into what sounded like a chorus of crickets. For like 20 minutes it totally changed to sound like tons of crickets......very strange to say the least.

Can't say it's happened since then, but it has happened before....

Hope things get better on your end bud. Fingers crossed for you.
      -Steve

3. Kane Moffat
      Badass

Kane Moffat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Hey, yeah i've been experiencing a similar symptom as well. When in the proccess of acctually falling asleep i hear crashes or a car horn on occasion and only at the precise point of losing conciousness. Its really very bizarre. I think it is related to H, nothing really that serious. The condition is actually called exploding head syndrome I think, sounds extreme but of course its just a noise. I think its to do with the fact that the brain is shutting down different parts of the brain and during this time the activity in the auditory cortex can spike breifly creating the sound.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My total guess is that you're basically having hypnagogic hallucinations. I've had my tinnitus turn into all sorts of strange things in dreams; if you're on the edge of consciousness, then you're sort of flirting with dream states.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thank god I'm not the only one:)Yeah it sucks,I was doing much better and bang this happened.When I got H I didn't get ear pain per say,everything just seemed way too loud and would shock my brain along with headaches.That subsided by 90% but now it's back along with ear and jaw pain:(As for the T thing it usually happens to me when I'm in a semi conscious state but it's really bizarre,my head would be buzzing and then suddenly it disappears and the sound of everyday noises would replace it like the sound of bells,children playing literally anything.

6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      If it's happening when you're in that semi-conscious state, it could very well be what linearb is saying - the hypnagogic hallucinations. Google that and prepare to be interested! :)

I can count maybe a dozen or so times during my life (all during my days BEFORE tinnitus) when I would awaken suddenly having "heard" the phone or a voice saying my name or other things and ... no, nothing had actually made a sound. So I think the memory of sound, stored in the brain's circuitry, can be expressed in the semi-conscious state, just as dreams present "visuals" to us that we know aren't true in our wakeful state.

I'm hoping that if you simply ignore these (as in, say to your head "Okay, enough, who cares!") that the de-emphasis on these sounds will just tuck them back into the "unimportant" file in your brain and they will either retreat or just not register as bothersome. I hope that!

7. NineNails

NineNails Member

It could also be MES musical ear syndrome. When I was completely deaf on one ear I heard all kind of real sounds like laughing children, playing guitars, it felt like being on drugs.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I've experienced that in the past too,not long after my T increase the song Gangnam Style(Don't ask)started playing in my head for a month straight only to disappear?Felt like I was on psychedelics;)

• Informative Informative x 1