Traumatic Experience with Children Screaming

Discussion in 'Support' started by victoria9273, Aug 25, 2017.

1. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Have you people ever heard a girl screaming just in front of you? I did.

I took the wrong bus and had to wait at the crossroad to go home walking and then there was this very ill-tempered little girl with her brother. They had obviously a petty quarrel and this girl out of fury and frustration gave out a scream which made me lose my temper and annoyed. The girl gave a furtive look at me, went on to kick in the stomach of her brother, and then they giggled and played.

Now I have an infinite detestation of this girl. Why did I ever have a wrong bus? And why did I have to hear such high-pitched, horrifying scream? I've never heard that kind of noise so close.

After I went home, I had a slight pain in both of my ears and my slight, 2 notes tinnitus came back in my right ear. And my hearing seems to be numbed. I know it because I've been practicing my scales and songs on my digital piano and after the incident, the sound was slightly(very) less loud. F and G key in an octave-high register would sound quaverring slightly, with a timber(it's all right) and um.... sound is not dynamic. Other living noises, too, sounds slightly changed. What is this, a hearing impairment? I don't know if I'll be alright.

I beseech you to be extremely careful when you go out. When you feel something is off and ominous, get out of that place or block your ears with your fingers. One thing is certain, that I'll never raise children.

2. Chezombie
      Hurting

Chezombie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure, possibly 'research chemical' Benzodiazepine use.
      I would be more inclined to blame the parents for raising such a obnoxious little brat than the kid herself. Makes you really wonder what life is really like at home for those two kids. Poor things.

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I feel the same way about kids as you do.

I wear earplugs whenever I am outside of my home. I also carry Peltor ear muffs with me. In case I am present when a fire alarm is set off, or if I see an ambulance with its siren on approaching, it will take me a second to slip those muffs on.

What you are describing sounds like what the doctors refer to as a "full ear sensation."

Chances are that even if you experience a spike, it will be a temporary spike. Note that temporary spikes can last for over a month...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      I don't know if 'numbed' was the correct word. My digital piano sounds just slightly smaller, solid. And I don't feel the heaviness and the dynamics of the lower register. When one's ear is troubled, these kind of insensivity to sound if quite common; but with this state of mind, everything seems so skeptical.

Sorry to be infinitely depressed. That's the main problem with the hyperacusis - thinking too much and supressed more than is needed.

I have my peltor protection one, too. It worked fantastically with playing an upright piano.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Really, I have seen children with loud voices(usually with boys) and ones in the restaurants that suddenly blurt out a scream as if it's a natural thing like blinking and breathing. I've heard that it's one of the process in the growing development of children. But I have never in my life seen such naughty ones as this.

I now understand those wistful ladies in books that hate children with all their heart. :) Adorable and good-natured ones are perfectly fine.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Chances are that in six months you will not be feeling the way you are feeling now. In other words, what you are hearing now is unlikely to be the tinnitus you will be stuck with in the long run. You might get healed, or it will likely fade and you will likely habituate.

Love your avatar, by the way.

7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I never cared that much for children even before tinnitus. Now I simply want them nowhere near me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    8. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I'm sorry you experienced that. Not all children scream like that.

Even before tinnitus, my children knew not to scream. Sure they sometimes talk loud, cry or yell (but not near me), but they know it's not polite nor necessary to do a high pitch scream. Now that I think about it, I've never even heard my son scream. Not even when he broke his arm.

We were recently at a beach and four little girls near us kept screaming while they played. My kids covered their ears, rolled their eyes and asked to move away from "the annoying kids." So I guess even kids can find other kids screaming annoying!

• Like Like x 2
    9. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Children are children regarding screaming.
      I hear it a lot working with children and a lot during play times.
      Try to remain calm and put it down to a unexpected noise and I don't think it will cause any permanent damage.
      Love glynis

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Your story is very delightful to hear. I'm not sure if I deserve to say it, but I dare say they are mild, decent and lovely children that any parent might hope for and think you are very lucky.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      Thanks for your kind words. I guess there is no way but to eat and sleep well, and go what I always used to do now.