How Has Trazodone Worked for You? Has It Helped Your Sleep? Does It Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tennrltr, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      Has anyone used Trazodone? Any reaction to taking it?

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Steve721

Steve721 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      I have been taking Trazodone nightly as a sleeping pill since early June, when my tinnitus spiked. The doctor prescribed 100mg tablets; I started out taking half of a pill (50mg) and then started taking the full 100mg. My tinnitus has since settled down, and I'm now also using hearing aids that greatly reduce my tinnitus. So I'm now tapering off of it.

The Trazodone has worked very well for me. The only side effect is that for the first week or so, I was really groggy during the day. I read online that this side effect would go away after the first week, and that was my experience.

I first tried Ambien, and it put me to sleep but I'd wake up in the middle of the night. With Trazodone, I almost always sleep through the night. In addition, unlike Ambien, Trazodone is not a controlled substance, so you don't have to go through the routine of presenting your driver's license and signing something when you pick it up from the pharmacy.

Hope this helps.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tennrltr
      Depressed

Tennrltr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall in 2014
      Thanks, that sounds positive. God Bless :thankyousign:

4. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just took the 50mg pill for the first time. I felt a bit tired the first day and had stomach upset. I slept a full 7 hours (did not sleep at all the previous night).

I am going to go for CBT insomnia and want to taper off Trazodone. Any success stories on tapering off sleep aids and getting a regular sleep schedule? I'm not sure how I can sleep well until I get comfortable with tinnitus though... music/sounds not working as it just seems like another noise and I am used to sleeping in silence.

• Like Like x 1
    5. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I took it when I got this spike. I didn't have any problems with it. I still carry it around if I am having trouble sleeping, but I haven't had to take it for the last few months. I probably should have tapered coming off of it, but I quit Trazodone and Amitriptyline cold turkey. The later drug was probably worse due to the weight gain side effect and this is why I quit Amitriptyline.

6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Do you still take Trazodone once in a while? It has never spiked your tinnitus?

7. DRobi

DRobi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Presbycusis
      I've been taking a low dose of Trazodone (25mg) every night for about 5 weeks to help with sleep. It has worked well for me, makes me drowsy in about 20 minutes. My psych wanted me to wean off Ambien, and use Trazodone instead.

The transition has gone well in terms of sleep, but I did notice a pretty significant spike in my tinnitus.

However, that could have been due to me dropping the Ambien. I am also tapering off Valium. I attribute the tinnitus spike to benzo/Z drug withdrawal more than the Trazodone, which seems pretty benign to me.

8. jmasterj
      No Mood

jmasterj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic?
      I don't take anything anymore, but I didn't have any issues with Trazodone. I just try to live with this all the best I can.

9. FloralDawn

FloralDawn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic. Lexapro (cause). Sertraline & loratadine(worsened)
      I took 50 mg of Trazodone two nights ago. After taking it, within the hour (if I'm remembering right) I had a hard time breathing through my nose and mouth. My sinuses seemed to constrict/narrow. I think my rate of breathing lowered. I was able to breathe better 1-3 hours later. I also had some difficulty breathing sometime in the morning after getting out of bed.

It made me sleepy, and maybe helped a bit with my depression and anxiety. I'm not sure if it made my tinnitus worse, but it didn't seem to help lower it.