Trigeminal Nerve Block

Discussion in 'Support' started by Coyotesheaven, Oct 18, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      This is being considered for me due to my migraine-like symptoms. I appear to have an overactive nervous system (no surprise). What is really nice about it is that it has only a few, rare side effects, so this might be an option for me.

Has anyone had this procedure done and have noted any results from it?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Not sure what form of nerve block you are referring to. But through your research, you may have come across what is called trigeminal neuralgia. Here is a definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia

I know many believe that tinnitus is the single most overwhelming thing a person could possibly cope with and clearly for those with a severe case, there is a strong argument. Many here are beyond brave.

Trigeminal Neuralgia however is coined the suicide disease because so many have taken their life over it. It maybe another order of magnitude of unthinkable pain so close to the brain. I have a mild form of it as it turns out due to a tooth extraction that damaged my inferior alveolar nerve on my right hand side. I theorize this has affected my vagus nerve and is a possible contributor to my tinnitus.

Bottom line, is there is some seriously bad shit that can happen to people. I have enjoyed pretty amazing health throughout my life and I suppose I was due…including great hearing.

But the storm came for me a little over 2 years ago and in the last 6 months tinnitus has paid a visit as well. Oddly the neuropathic pain I experience in my mouth and jaw has prepared me for coping with tinnitus. I didn’t think anything could be much worse and I would say my tinnitus isn’t FWIW.

So Coyotesheaven, I know you have struggled mightily and are in a desperate search for answers. I hope you find your answers through the best neurologists and gain some treatment and peace.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Dysautonomia/Vascular
      @stophiss

Thank you for these words.

I do not suspect trigeminal neuralgia alone but an over activity of my nervous system in general. Something wrong with the vagus is definitely a possibility in my case, because so many ear problems come from muscle movements near or in the head and neck. Because my symptoms are migraine-like that is another reason why I am considering this injection.

My main ailment is not tinnitus, but progressive hearing loss in both ears, and the fact that I get tiny sudden hearing losses every day, with and without tinnitus.
      It's a serious, and frankly life threatening problem for me because I have latent sensory integration problems, and without good ears to guide my other senses, my ability to use vision, proprioreception, smell, and touch usefully becomes near hopeless. I can't form a unified picture of the world through vision alone; everything just feels to be floating in space and shrouded in darkness and I don't really have a good sense of where I am. I don't even want to go through all of the other horrific sensory distortions the hearing damage has caused. Hearing loss affects my ability to experience emotions and pleasure in serious ways too that my other senses cannot compensate for
      It's a purgatory sentence in a way; I could end up half dead in my mind and very absent from my surroundings, but physically alive to everyone else.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Reading your journey Coyotesheaven...because your path is so unique, I believe you need to be with the best and brightest neurologists available. Have you considered contacting the Mayo Clinic to try and get to the bottom of your condition if you feel many of your senses are in a state of peril?
      I am sure everybody here joins me and hopes you recover from this...and hope you get answers soon.
      :huganimation: