Triple Whammy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Willowman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Hi Everyone.
      I am happy to have found you. I have been searching your forums, lots of stories and lots of info. Excellent, overwhelming and hopeful!

I have always had sensitive hearing but then tinnitus appeared around 20 years ago (musician) but felt it was mild..and grew accustomed to it...until 2013 when I suffered noise damage during a recording session. Since then, I can't be around loud noise..tv..or whatever without pain. Then in October 2015, after a flight, my right ear did not pop...and since then there has been pressure and pain intermittently in right ear.

ENT detected no structural damage..but audio trats indicate noise damage pattern, and some negative pressure in right ear, which makes removing custom fit musicians plugs a nightmare. They work great for attenuation..but just retraumatize ear wgen removing. Sucks.

Tinnitus is worsening. Audionotch seems to indicate that my T Frequency is around 12188Hz...and sounds more like a sawtooth wave. I have not used the program yet though. Wanted to research more first..hear what you people think.

Sleep with hoodies on, cold or noise drive me crazy now. Drafts. Whatever.

Starting a Mindfulness/CBT program this week..hopefully that will calm me down a bit. Anxiety from noise and pain..not fun.

ENT only recommended Celebrex for pain. I cannot fly for work anymore either. So that changes things.

Anything any of you can suggest for the combo of ETD, Tinnitue and Hyperacusis combo? Supps, meds, treatments..or what order I should be approaching this stuff? Pain makes for lousy focus and clarity of thinking alot of my time.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks again!

Willowman

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      I'm sorry to hear about what's happened. I'm a musician and also a producer too, or was. I had planned to become an audio engineer or any kind of career with sound but that had to end since I damaged my ability to process sounds.

If you're a musician and had noise damage then you're in the same boat as me but hopefully not as bad. Noise strips the myelin sheath off of the nerve fibers that make up the auditory nerve which allows us to process the frequencies we hear that are picked up by the inner and outer hair cells of the cochlea. The myelin sheath can grow back in a very slow manner, but these nerves become more and more vulnerable to severe damage when introduced to loud sound waves. Constant loud noise, which happens at a concert or at a jam session, will cause excitotoxicity which in the end causes the delicate nerve fibers to lose connection with the hair cell it was associated with. Therefore, you not only cause "Tinnitus" to begin or also known as the ringing sound you hear, you also lose the ability you had before to clearly pick out and process the frequency that the nerve fiber was associated with as it was connected to certain hair cells (inner or outer).

As for supplements, I would personally recommend: B-12, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, Ashwaghanda, L-Theanine, Lions Mane, and Acetyl-L-Carnitine if you want to feel like you're at your top focus/cognition and also feel good so you don't have to worry about your symptoms.

Here are some links describing Tinnitus, Hyperacusis, Hidden Hearing Loss, and the dangers of noise to our hearing abilities.

1) http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/

2) http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/tinnitus-and-hidden-hearing-loss

3) http://www.hearingreview.com/2014/0...anism-nerve-fiber-loss-discussed-asa-meeting/

4) http://www.jneurosci.org/content/29/45/14077.full.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      Thank you Nick. I appreciate the suggestions. I look3d up all the herbs and neutraceuticals. Excellent suggestions. Astaxanthin, have you found it's anti-inflammatory...analgesic properties effective?

I take Celebrex..but it doesn't seem to do much..especially on the ETD ear. My biggest prob besides pain...is when my nerves get frazzled ...and I just get agitated or overloaded.

Thanks again

Dave

4. Rintintin
      Frantic

Rintintin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music and head injury
      I am so sorry to hear about your struggles. I also got mine through noise, I was listening to Loco Locass really loudly when I had PTSD. It was stupid, and sometimes it is harder when it is self-inflicted unlike people who can blame the doctors or whoever else. I am scared to take the plane, as well, though mine is not yet so bad. Just don't want it to become bad. I just wonder what the rest of my life is going to be like. Good luck and sorry your T is so bad.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      @Rintintin
      Thank you.
      Yes..it is hard when self-inflicted. Ibwas young and played music far too loud. Even in studio..I pushed it too far. I think the sound and pain bothered me far longer than I realized. At first I thought it was dental, then muscle..stress all that stuff. Now I see Nd feel it much clearer. Sometimes when I focus on T too much...I get a little freaked out...but I hopeful and willing to work at balancing myself in any way I need to. Supplements...meditation...therapies etc. There are alot of knowledgeable people here with lots of experience. I am grateful for that.

Willowman

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Hey! I actually recommend that one to a lot of people, just helps you deal with stress better.
      Hope you're good man.
      Ricardo

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Yes, it's very beneficial for the brain including lowering stress levels. A herb recommended for those who have Alzheimers. Another supplement I've been trying out which is included in Chocolate and Wine is Resveratrol. I've been taking the supplement as of lately and it's also extremely helpful with taking away stress. Also very beneficial for the brain and has shown good results for Alzheimers.

I've come to realize that any sort of food and supplement that helps lower the issues of Alzheimers will help with issues of having cognitive problems. The brain can be operating at its highest possible level if you keep feeding it a very nutritionally well balanced diet, supplements that clean out any build up of amyloid plaque, and supplements that help with nerve support.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willowman

Willowman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music
      I found Acetyl-L Carnitine very warming for me. But the Ashwaghanda...magnesium, Astaxanthin are regulars now. I am working in the Lion's Mane.

I also take fish oils and a homeopathic remedy called Kali Phos for nervous exhaustion/mental fatigue. It is very helpful.

Thanks Nick...I noticed a mood boost very quickly with some of your suggestions.

In a pinch acupuncture/chinese prescriptions have helped me rebalance too. The supps are luke the building bricks for me.