Trouble Finding Quiet Job

Discussion in 'Support' started by Falconfox, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      So I've been looking for quieter work since all this started since I work in a semi-noisy warehouse and I've been having trouble. Just had an interview that I think I nailed today for an ecommerce small shipping business and it seemed like a quiet place when I was getting the tour, until I heard someone use some packing tape to seal a package which sounded to me very loud (was hard to hear the guy talking to me in the same room).

Now I know I'm gonna have to do a fair amount of shipping work so I'm not sure what I should do and it's causing me anxiety as it seems pretty hard to find an all quiet job with only warehouse experience. Do y'all think I'm just being overly sensitive to noises? I even tried to find noiseless packing tape that I thought I could use instead but no luck.

I should mention that I detest the idea of using earplugs regularly as I can't stand things in my ears and generally don't like the idea of being overprotective as I'm trying to get back to feeling like normal. I did think I could buy some noise reducing ear protection like construction workers use but I also wonder if this is a bit overkill.

What really gets me down is the thought that I might pass on a job which in all other ways seems good except that the packing tape is too loud, that's just ludicrous. For me it's not the noise so much as the stress that goes with the noise that's getting me down so much so I'd really like to have a work life where this isn't a problem, I feel like this would be a big step in the right direction for me.

All this long post (sorry) to say, Am I being crazy?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe worth doing a trial with the job and see how you get on .
      I know you said it could be a bit noisy but your ears might be ok and adapt.
      Just need to find out what the noise level is because your management need to provide hearing protection if above 80 -84 decibels....lots of love glynis

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Why not just protect your ears well and do / find a job you love? You could for example buy active noise protection ear buds like these: http://www.etymotic.com/eb15le.html

4. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I'm afraid we all have to compromise at a point if you want to work at all. Except for working from home probably any job will mean some noise as there are other people/phones calls , whatever else. I hate the sound of the large sticky tape too, but it's not a noise which cant cause any hearing loss unless made continuously for hours, maybe. I'd wear plugs when needed, even though of course I wish I didn't have to but reality is what it is.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gosia I think you're probably right. Perhaps now is the time to start learning coding so I can work from home one day. I start tomorrow and i'll bring some hearing protection just in case and see if I can't work something out there, perhaps I can find a way around it.

• Like Like x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Good luck falconfox with your new job...lots of love glynis

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      If offered, I don't think you should turn it down especially if it seems like a good opportunity. You biggest issue is fear of the noise rather than the noise itself. There are very few jobs (unless like Gosia said you work at home) that will be without some noise now and then. Occasional noise you don't have to fear, just constant noise.

Sound Wave had a good suggestion on some ear plugs that block out harmful sounds but not everything so they are not too restricting. You could always have some custom molded ones made specifically for your ears and they usually come with different filters so you can control how much noise you want to filter out. Expensive but well worth it for the protection you get.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First day went well, didn't even need the hearing protection I brought, it is quite a bit quieter than my old job so this should be good for my stess levels. My only complaint is that I occasionaly have to work in a room with a fan, it's not loud at all it's just that the T gets reactive around fans sometimes for some reason so I gotta deal with that but I'm not too concerned as it's just a fan. Overall a much better experience than I feared it to be, seems like I will rarely have to use the packing tape at all.

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Falconfox,
      Great to hear your first day went well and hope first of many .
      Great you went on ok without earplugs and get to make some lovely work friends...lots of love glynis