Trouble Sleeping Because of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Revvy., Oct 24, 2018.

1. Revvy.

Revvy. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Combination of stress and loud machinery.
      Hi,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted some help from you guys out there.

Developed tinnitus in May 2018 and initially it was just a low hum in my left ear...

It's now developed into a constant high pitched ringing which seems to mostly come from the centre of my head..

Not sure why it changed but seem to think it was due to the severe lack of sleep I've been getting ever since the onset.

My GP initially prescribed benzos which did seem to help but after reading so much negative information I asked if I could be prescribed something less addictive and toxic.

I am now taking 40-50mg of Amitriptyline.

This med I find is sporadic at best and wondered if anybody out there has any information on alternatives that are non-addictive with minimal side effects and yet strong enough to knock out a 191 cm, 230 lbs, 105 kg guy who desperately needs his pre-tinnitus sleep pattern to return... Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. David Dubros

David Dubros Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I just bought a pair of Bose Sleep Buds and they work for me.

My tinnitus is a constant high pitch and the buds are set below the loudness of the tinnitus so as to distract but not aggravate it.

There are many types of masking available but these work for me.

Best of luck
      Peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Stress and lack of sleep might make it more audible. Make sure to do some relaxation exercises before bed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is a very high dose. I found that three quarters of a 10 mg Amitriplyline pill was the right dose for me. Having said that, I weigh 62 kg...

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I take 25mg of Nortriptyline and sleep ok most nights.
      It's all about finding what's best for you.
      love glynis

6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Revvy,

Amitriptyline is known to cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I've found mHBOT to be the best thing I've ever done to improve my sleep, and I'd been searching for solutions for many, many years. In some areas, home mHBOT chambers can be leased for about $500-$600 / month. -- All the Best...

7. Niel S.
      Badass

Niel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    8. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well I've been feeling exhausted all the time, with really wild and crazy dreams, on just one 10mg pill of Amitriptyline.

So I tried half a pill and I still got too bothered by side-effects.

Tonight, I'm going to crush a 10mg pill and start with two granules...

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. John Mahan

John Mahan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wonder about sleep and tinnitus, this interaction. I never had trouble sleeping until I contracted tinnitus four years ago. I always slept well.

So I wonder about cause and effect. I presume it is the change in my brain that gives me tinnitus that also affects my sleeping. I too have wild dreams. I dream vividly and they are eclectic....every possible scenario under the sun...many almost nightmare like...stuck with difficult solutions I wrestle with as I sleep which many times I will wake from. I can go to bed with mild T and wake up in the middle of the night with loud T which is disarming as used to this cycle as I am.

The great Glynis, a woman I always listen to very closely on this forum because she is so smart...as reflected above in this thread in 2018, she was taking 25mg of Nortriptyline. If anybody understands the slippery slope of meds and effect to tinnitus its Glynis. So I may speak to my doctor about trying this.

I try not to take any meds. I have a pretty balanced life and get a lot of exercise. I have no trouble falling asleep, just staying asleep only to be awakened by wild dreams and screaming tinnitus many nights which generally diminishes when awake as different brain waves are in play in the conscious state.

Clonazepam works nicely for me and I sleep much better and it knocks my tinnitus down and I feel even more calm into the next day. But it is a benzo, and I don't want to get on a steady diet because of addiction and many unflattering stories here.

If anybody has any experience with Nortriptyline, please post. Glynis is the ultimate survivor of tinnitus and if she still needs a med to sleep, then I may as well into the future. I try to take the natural route aka no meds but now with my 'tinnitus brain' precious sleep to regenerate doesn't come as naturally.

10. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I took 10-25mg of Amitriptyline for years for globus sensation due to GERD. Eventually I could not cry because my eyes wouldn’t produce tears. Somewhat like an emotional blunting from antidepressants, but I still felt the emotion. I now have dry eye syndrome.

11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It's a powerful drug with a huge list of side effects. I feel I have to swallow more often when I'm on it, so my sinuses are producing more mucus not less. (Sorry not a nice subject!) I haven't noticed about my eyes but I get dry eyes anyway from working with computers.

Did the Amitriptyline have any impact on your tinnitus, or hyperacusis if you had it at the time? Did you find an alternative drug to that one?

12. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I didn’t have it at the time. I just recently developed tinnitus in June.

however my psychiatrist want me to take it again to work towards replacing clonazepam. Since I see benzos as infinitely more dangerous I agreed. One dose 10mg and I immediately had a change in sound to a violent hiss (not a good one like a reduction or fading type) and a spike.

All serotonergic drugs I’ve taken since tinnitus onset have done this to me though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    13. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I use Zopiclone (which I guess is the English name), and it's working for me. I've had it for 20 years and I don't take a full dose when I do take it, which is only one and then.

14. wwtsai
      Assassinator

wwtsai Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild (2016) Bothersome (8/20)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNHL
      Hey guys,

I've had mild tinnitus in my left ear since 2016 until early this month when it spiked randomly. The first week I didn't really think about it and in turn wasn't really affected. I have a tendency to freak out about medical stuff so I fervently began researching spikes and whether they're temporary. I read that tinnitus and sleep apnea may have a correlation so I decided to give my CPAP a shot. I've already got anxiety with my CPAP as I can't really sleep with something on my face.

Of course, I couldn't sleep at all that night. I ended up taking a 3mg Melatonin pill every few hours until I fell asleep around 5am. The next night was the same thing except I ended up taking two Benadryl around 3am. The next two days or so I kept taking Melatonin throughout the night. This was last week and since then, I've had difficulty falling asleep nor can I even nap or yawn like I used to do. I do end up getting about 5-7 hours of sleep but I wake up every two hours and even though I dream, I don't feel like I'm getting quality, deep sleep. Initially, I thought it was just my circadian rhythm out of whack but am worried it could be more of an anxiety issue. There are days where my tinnitus doesn't really bother me at night but I still can't fall asleep.

I'm just wondering if someone's had a similar issue when they experienced a spike or could chime in with any words of wisdom. I will be meeting with my GP next week and will discuss this with them as well. Thanks.