TRT Sound Generators Are $$$ — Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mexigrl64, Jun 16, 2015.

1. mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Wow - I have to admit to being a little surprised at the price tag of almost $3000.00. I guess with hearing aids the 30 day return is fine but with TRT therapy I've been told it takes many months so once you buy them you pretty much own them. Insurance won't cover any of it from what I've been told.

Before this becomes an anti-TRT therapy thread my audiologist is excellent and I trust her. She works for a University and isn't trying to just sell me something. She's very cautious and honest about not know if this will work. The devices are ReSound Linx2 if anyone has used them I'd appreciate their thoughts.

It would be great to hear from those who used devices along with the TRT therapy and their success with it. I have M.S. and am partially disabled so this is a lot of money to me. I have been trying do achieve the same thing with Bose earphones but I can't work with them on, or go out etc. It would seem from what I've read and been told that you need to wear the devices as much as possible.

Also, I have H along with my T (have had H for over 14 years now and deal with it well) - my audiologist is a little bit concerned that the devices could aggravate my H. She doesn't see many people with both so just wants to protect me as much as possible. Anyone with H&T it would be great to hear what, if anything, works for you.

Thanks all in advance for your advice and experiences. This is a big decision and I could really use your input.

2. "She doesn't see many people with both"

That is particularly odd considering MOST people with H have T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Yeah, the overwhelming majority of people with H also have T.

4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The ReSound Linx2 has an amplification component and a broadband sound component. Unless you actually require a hearing aid for amplification, you may be paying for amplification technology that you do not need. Wearable devices that just produce broadband sound should be nowhere near as expensive.

Another possibility is that your clinician may be bundling the cost of your TRT counseling in with the cost of the devices. $3000 would be a very fair figure indeed if it included both the devices and a year's worth of TRT counseling.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      The other choice was the Oticon unit @drnagler does that make more sense? Are there alternate units I can ask her about?

Thanks

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I agree! wtf? lol

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Perhaps I worded that wrong. She sees people with both but my H is pretty pronounced even though I'm very able to live with it. Her concern is that the TRT sound generator will set off the H. Does that make sense?

Thanks

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Actually she does not make any sense because TRT (sound therapy)is actually more successful in treating H than T. Thats a fact. Is your audiologist Mexican?

9. How about $6000 ?? a friend of mine was recently charged that. I told her it was robbery.

10. I am not sure that I do. So your H is very bad but you're able to cope with it. Ok. but TRT is apparently very successful in treating H (like Dan says) ...my question would now be...

Can you describe your H??

If anything TRT can potentially worsen your tinnitus.. given certain circumstances.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Hi - I guess that my audiologist had a patient with H and the noise generators made it worse for her. She is most concerned with "doing no harm" (right, something most doctor's used to care about). As I leave the country for 3 months (I'll be in Mexico) in 2 weeks she is concerned that if I take them and there isn't anyone to work with there I could have issues. She did agree to let that be my decision and I'm trying to decide.

I can't seem to find much on the board from people that have had successful TRT therapies, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm just very habituated to my H now, carry earplugs for when it's necessary and use lots of white noise. Perhaps the same thing will happen to my T if I just wait it out?

Thanks

12. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well, I don't charge anywhere near that much.

But on the other hand, if your friend is a 10 and TRT gets her down to a 2 or 3, then she'd probably say that the $6000 was a good investment.

13. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Well given certain circumstances even a glass of orange juice can worsen your tinnitus. Say, if you drink it during a rock concert while standing directly in front of the speakers without wearing ear protection!.

My point is that it is terribly misleading to state that TRT can potentially worsen tinnitus. TRT done wrong can potentially worsen tinnitus, but there is no way that TRT done properly can do it.

14. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      The brand of unit is less of an issue than whether or not you need hearing aids. If you did not have tinnitus, would you need hearing aids for amplification? If the answer is no, then paying extra for technology that offers both amplification and broadband sound makes no sense to me, when all you need is broadband sound.

15. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. The place you need to look is ...

... but that site does not exist. So you turn to a tinnitus support board that is predominately populated by folks who have not done particularly well with their tinnitus (or they wouldn't be on a tinnitus support board to begin with!) ... and you cannot seem to find much on that board from people who have done well with TRT. Makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, I did find this TRT post from @RCP1. Perhaps it will shed some light.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Dr. Nagler I'm disappointed by your response. Not everyone lives in an area where TRT therapy is either available, close, or even heard of. I would think in a community of this size there are people that have done TRT therapy, which is why I came to this board. The response feels very condescending to me, and it's uncomfortable. People come here to try to seek help and advice from others. I don't know where else you think I should be looking, but this is the most widely recognized site.
      I am thankful that we have you to share your expertise with us, however I do feel that your response was unnecessary. I sent you some specific questions in the doctors for him, but have not heard a response of those yet. Please don't bother to respond if all you want to do is put me down for looking for experience and help. Thank you

17. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Then please ignore it.

It was an honest, accurate, and prompt response. But if the wording somehow offended you, that was certainly not my intent. I apologize.

Right. I just checked, and it looks like you asked your question a few hours ago. Is there some urgency? I ask because as it stands now, I'm about 25 questions behind on the Doctors' Corner.

I've already answered a number of questions for you regarding devices, cost, etc. in this thread. Isn't that enough for now?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mexigrl64
      Frustrated

mexigrl64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/30/2000
      Is more than enough. I have a decision to make by tomorrow and I realize that short notice. Thank you for your advice in this thread.

19. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I just now answered your question over there on the Doctors' Corner. Hopefully that will help with your decision.

You are welcome.

20. *sigh*

exactly....like I said..given certain circumstances.

21. Her T is barely audible. This TRT is for her H.

Oh well.

22. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Right. TRT done wrong can (very rarely) make things worse. If "done wrong" is the certain circumstance you are talking about, then I agree with you. But driving a car done wrong can make things worse too. So can fixing a hernia. I don't understand your point. Are you really criticizing TRT on the basis that if it is done incorrectly, you will have a suboptimal result?

23. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I don't understand your point. If your friend has severe hyperacusis that results in her markedly restricting her activities because of her profound sound sensitivity ... and then if after four months of TRT, her LDLs have returned to normal and she is able to fully enjoy all the wonders that life has to offer, you don't think that's worth $6000? I mean I sure wouldn't charge $6K for TRT, but if that's the going rate where your friend is and if she gets the result she is looking for, then to my way of thinking $6K would be a terrific investment!

• Like Like x 1