TTTS (Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome) & ASD (Acoustic Shock Disorder)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Greg Sacramento, May 25, 2017.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Many of us with noise related tinnitus and/or hyperacusis that get second time exposure have TTTS - tonic tensor tympani syndrome.

The connection with ASD - acoustic shock disorder. I'm researching this now.

There is treatment, although the hearing can't be restored.

- TTTS and ASD.

Has/or not the following:

TMJ, headaches, ear pain, neck pain, hyperacusis, hearing loss, echoes sounds by carefully moving their hands close to their ears and then away, or users of headphones.

Any comments welcome.

2. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Hello! I have had tinnitus for over a month now most likely due to loud noise at a concert. Since then, I have had Eustachian tube dysfunction. I am currently on prednisone to open up my tubes, but it is not working. I experience mild tinnitus, hyperacusis (I hear sounds louder and I'm always scared it's going to damage my ears), a little bit of pain, headaches, mild nausea once and a while, and an ongoing blocked/full feeling in my ears. Doing the valsalva or opening my jaw doesn't help relieve this blocked feeling. Is it possible I have ttts? Also, what are the treatments for it? Thank you so much and my prayers are with you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      With mild tinnitus, feel lucky that your noise exposure didn't give you loud tinnitus. At this point maybe your T will become even less. Getting the ETD under control may help. Your hyperacusis probably will disappear. I would relax as much as possible, and give the prednisone some time to work. Be careful with prednisone like any drug.

It is very important to protect yourself from more loud noise. Ear protection around loud noise. It's not a bad idea to have some prednisone (not expired) on hand.

There's many sites on tonic tensor tympani syndrome - TTTS and ASD - acoustic shock disorder. I don't think that you have enough other stuff going on to have TTTS - and this makes your situation so simple. Again feel lucky ( a warning sign) that your T is mild. Show caution and amount of time at a concert.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ASD - Acoustic Sound Disorder professional sites say not to have hearing tests if you have noise-induced tinnitus. Tones to the ear used by audiologists and ENT's for testing ears could cause more harm to those who have noise-induced tinnitus. Also for tinnitus sufferers not to use headphones or ear placed devices that deliver voice from others, music or tones. We can't win.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone ever used Zen tones - an ear device or any ear device that that plays fractional tones or any type of tones or something similar? I did when I first got T and I think that ready set me back. I think that the hearing tests allow did more damage.

6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Can’t win.
      Late last year an aggressive ENT performed microsuction on me whilst I had ASD (before I knew what it was) and was in a confused state. Then I decided to see an audiologist. They gave me a sound tolerance test which I was found to have low tolerance that luckily didn’t hurt me. After maybe 6weeks of their very basic version of TRT they gave me another sound tolerance test and then on the same day a balloon burst in my car. The ASD/TTTS came back. Since then it’s been progressively more often and worsening bouts of TTTS from certain moderate sounds. I seem to recover after some time but then it happens again and resets any progress. Looks like I lucked out by not knowing in advance what was wrong and being betrayed by those who are meant to help. Pretty sure these plus other acoustic events have given me this intermittent ultra low bass pulsatile T. If only I had know these tests were harmful.

My usual T is mostly still not too bad but can quite intrusive when up and varies ridiculously in tones and now often very reactive.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gman I had provided several professional links that state those with an onset of T and H shouldn't be exposed to sound tolerance tests until their ears have settled down. I also have a problem with overexposure use of hearing protection when someone has H. This can lower auditory threshold acceptance.

From other professional sites -wearing headphones with cervical tinnitus can be dangerous. The weight of the headphones and any turning or bending of neck with neck issues can really mess things up more. I often only use professional sign-in neuro sites for my research. Have you had a X ray of your cervical spine? A carotid artery ultrasound?

8. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im sorry, I only just found this old thread. I keep trusting doctors and other experts.
      I am always mindful to not to overprotect and expose to good sounds, but progress doesn’t seem to last. I feel that occasionally wearing qc35s (never playing music and usually on low NC or off) are the last of my worries, but hear what you’re saying. But the cervical issues aren’t conclusively the reason for my T.

I had an MRI early last year. Once again another bit of bad luck as it gave me extreme vertigo. No recent X-rays or ultrasounds.

Do you have PMs turned off? I wanted to ask you something but not on the forum.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Gman I can't find a connection to your T, other than some thought to the thoracic junction. I thought about Chiari, but I kind of doubing that along with cranio cervival, even a possible relation to kyphosis. It could be something related to auditory signal influence or something related to PT.

10. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I guess the true origin doesn’t matter anymore. I could tick almost any box for possible reasons, from stress, dental, neck, trauma, etc. etc. to now noise damage from seeking professional help and acoustic events. There are nervous system things I’m not going to write on the forum, that include at least the vagus nerve.

11. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Greg. Do you have any links to stuff I can read about this? I am very afraid to see an ENT because I fear they will subject me to tests that will worsen my condition. I want to learn as much as I can from medical sources so I don't get pressured into doing something that will harm me.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    13. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Greg. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    14. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can’t agree more with this @Greg Sacramento. I may not be in my current situation if I had have known to avoid these tests. I guess seeking audiological assistance doesn’t mean they know this information and won’t mess you up even more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      From reading your posts and with researching online, I think I may have developed Acoustic Shock /TTTS from a few days ago.

My symptoms include inner ear vibration/popping to sounds in both ears (doesn't matter volume or frequency-there's no pattern), tension and pain behind my left ear and neck, some tension pain in my head from sound, some inner ear pain to sounds...this came from a hearing test I was not expecting that emitted loud sounds for a short time. I have been careful (not overprotective) with my ears since my original onset of noise induced ear noise in 03/2016 so I think this has caused said reaction. I don't have these symptoms in silence.

@Greg Sacramento and @Gman are these symptoms similar to yours and have they improved since you posted on this thread? It is still early days for me with these symptoms but would really like some insight from some fellow TT members.
      Thank you.

16. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      TTTS and ASD

That's what's happening to me...
      Loud noise exposure from some stupid band stabbing my ear and made it clogged, months after I still feel the fullness.... A pain is of the burning type and the intrusive tinnitus....

I don't know what to do for the fullness...
      I don't know what to do for the burning pain....
      I don't know what to do for tinnitus....

Hyperacusis has improved, my voice doesn't hurt anymore.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jenny_S I read the thread that you started yesterday with interest and compassion. ASD and TTTS is as complicated as tinnitus itself. All highly regarded professionals believe that both often have relationship to the temporomandibular joint and the upper cervical spine with notation to the C1 and C2. When a neck vertebrae is out it will cause damage to the TMJ and this happens from nerves being pinched or stressed, thus TTTS. Functions of the ear has connections to our entire upper biology were emotions are also involved.

Management of ASD, TTTS and hyperacusis. All will take slow careful sound therapy. Soft pink music such as a stream with small waterfalls. Better yet, watch a relaxing video stream. Decentralized therapy and light gentle massage of nerve and muscular trigger points around the neck and shoulders will benefit TTTS. Gently stretching the neck is the best single therapy for physical tinnitus along with using techniques for correct posture.

I have posted several articles on this. Research of anything often needs to be done deep into the internet, but these two articles are easy to find:

Acoustic Shock Disorder (ASD) and Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS) Guide for Medical Practitioners by Dineen Westcott Moore

Do I have Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS).
      This article contains quotes and thoughts from other studies.

Both articles discuss the biology and it includes the TMJ and neck.

Appliances - hearing aides, professional very thin semi soft flexible mouth guards and CD sound therapy is needed by many. We are all getting older and our hearing will go downhill and it's termed presbycusis. Many can't afford appliances and more awareness with funding is needed for this. There's a nursing home in my county with 300 patients where almost all have tinnitus and few have appliances. @Markku and @Steve have posted updates in tinnitus research and one of the top research articles is about presbycusis.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    18. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I also have TTTS would like to know what's worked for people

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PDodge I had ASD, TTTS - hyperacusis several times. The therapy that I mention above, knocked the (sox) socks off my conditions.

• Genius Genius x 1
    20. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Awesome thank you! I skimmed the thread pretty quickly at work and must have over looked it

21. Jenny_S

Jenny_S Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hi @Greg Sacramento and thank you very much for your reply.

It is very interesting that you said our ears have connections to our emotions, that's why anxiety and other negative emotions can cause/increase t. I am trying my best to be keep calm.

I will take your good advice on the pink noise. Luckily today it is raining (there's a typhoon close to Korea at the moment) so I have the windows open and can listen to the gentle sounds. I will also try the massages and stretches as this tension comes and goes.

I have downloaded the paper written by Wescott Moore from one of your previous posts and will look into your other recommendation on TTTS. The term 'presbycusis' is new to me but I will look into article in the other section. I am aware that hearing damage is accumulative so since my onset a few years ago, I have tried hard to care more for my ears but this recent incident has been a big setback.
      From myself and others, thank you for sharing your findings with others here on TT. It really helps.

It is really sad that tinnitus sufferers cannot get the help they need where you live. In England, we have a great national health service but our current government are cutting funds to try to privatise it. I hope that doesn't happen.

May I ask how your symptoms are these days and how you first got these symptoms?

• Like Like x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jenny_S Thank you for your friendly comments. It took me a longtime to establish a more complete healing plan. I have severe somatic physical tinnitus and now severe hearing loss. I also have cervical degenerative disease, but that's not playing a direct tinnitus role.

For me it's mostly my neck, TMJ and mouth nerve damage - dental whiplash and injury. Occipital and suboccipital nerves along with semispinalis capitis, deep vertical fibers, lateral pterygoid, facet joints and posterior digastric muscle under my chin. Semi influences from my sternocleidomastoids, trapezius and masseter. These areas often have association with physical tinnitus.

I also use a small soft pillow under my neck while sleeping and maybe anyone with tinnitus should do this. I never use high pillows under my head. I can lower my tinnitus even with severe hearing loss down to very mild for hours and sometimes for a day. My problem is bad posture, improper head rest position causing neck muscle spasms and not using repeated gentle stretching of neck that includes occipital nerves. I need to use steady pink sound treatment.

I use magnesium chelate off and on. I will use it for a week or two and then take a break so that my nerves and muscles are not weaken too much. Magnesium Chelate also helps my emotions, sleep, digestion or a spike. I use Alpha-Lipoic Acid for glucose support, metabolism, regenerative antioxidation, mouth nerve pain and burning sensations. I use ultra turmeric curcumin concentrated liquid. I'm always careful of what I place into my mouth without checking for self make-up and conditions that I have.

• Informative Informative x 2
    23. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Red: Mostly only in extreme cases can magnesium as mentioned above per myself can cause acute muscle weakness as briefly mentioned in this link as one of many. This article doesn't mention age or nerves as a factor, but I'm old and must be careful with over use of certain supplements as discussed in case histories and work experience. In my own personnel experience, magnesium used daily, continuously for several weeks has weaken my muscles too much with deep fiber and occipital nerve pressure. From this, I have set myself backwards when doing trigger point therapy on my neck after weeks of use of magnesium with calcium.

https://oureverydaylife.com/548638-can-too-much-magnesium-cause-the-skin-to-lose-elasticity.html

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    25. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      @Greg Sacramento
      For the ear fullness, I think it's something in the middle ear muscles, or the eardrum itself, as I feel a tightening sensation.

What should work for this? If there's something you know of.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @1000 Some basic treatment thoughts from research that might help. More medical type treatments should be given by a doctor.

A warm compress around ears, entire neck and face. When I wash all these areas gently with a warm wash cloth my ear fullness goes partly away for hours.

Sucking on a piece of non sugar candy or slowing gently eating small slices of watermelon.

Regenerative Antioxidants - Alpha -Lipoic Acid, Vitamin C, Magnesium Chelate.
      Research well before use for conditional side effects or discuss first with a doctor.
      Long term daily use for months isn't always advisable.

27. SeanD5054

SeanD5054 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma/shock? possible TMJ issues?
      Hello @Greg Sacramento.

I know this is an old post but I suffered from an acoustic shock about 4 months ago. Ive reached out to Myriam Westcott via email and she pretty much confirmed my diagnoses.

What types of treatments did you go through and about how long would you say it took you to recover from your symptoms?

I know you said pink noise as I do stream and rain sounds at low volume at night through my Bluetooth speaker.

Did your tinnitus ever improve when symptoms resided from ASD?

Thanks so much Greg, I hope you are doing well.