Twitching Ear Drum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 24, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Has anyone experienced their ear drum twitching? Its like the sound being made when someone taps a microphone. I get this thumping randomly. I would assume it has something to do with the muscles controlling the ear drum?

I never had this before tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      Hey telis, I get this sometimes when I'm very anxious or stressed. Sounds like a fluttering no? Don't be alarm by it try to relax.

3. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      Also I don't have tinnitus I have vascular tinnitus something to do with my blood so I can feel it rush thru in my right ear... So I don't think it has to do with you having tinnitus. I hope u feel better...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with you, Laura. This condition isn't serious --- just annoying!

I don't have this condition myself, but I've read about it. It's called "tensor tympani syndrome", and has to do with involuntary muscle spasms in the ear.

Here's a link to some information about this condition: http://hearinglosshelp.com/weblog/do-i-have-tonic-tensor-tympani-syndrome-ttts.php

According to this article, the condition may eventually go away on its own. Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. theekarwash
      Nerdy

theekarwash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and/or Ear Infeciton
      I used to have this happen to me all the time, not since my T started though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      40 years of it.
      I put cotton in the fluttery ear. That usually stops it and a day later I take it out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks all...hope it goes away. Kind if a disturbing sensation. At least I get breaks from it unlike my T.

Sometimes I wonder if it's my ear straining to hear as it is my bad ear.

8. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Hey @Telis I know exactly what your talking about, there are threads about on here as well. It does sound like TTTS as Karen stated above. Mine gets painful at times, and it get agitated by touching my ear, a lot of TTTS has to do with anxiety about sounds, the muscles in the ear tense up in order to protect the ear and for some reason for us it occurs more then natural. When it comes to this stress is a big agitator, somehow even the muscles behind my eyes contract when i hear certain sounds, weird stuff.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Oh crazy man, new surprises to this shit condition every day.

A get a lot of ear pain as well

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. I know! isn't it fun? :eek::banghead:(n)

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @cullenbohannon @Telis @I who love music

Last night, while lying in bed, out of no where came this fluttering sound in my right ear. It wasn't a high sound; it was low. And it wasn't rhythmical; it was erratic. Scary, really. But I decided not to get freaked since getting upset only worsens these conditions. Instead, I put on some relaxing sounds and listened for about twenty minutes. Then the noise just went away.

I'm not looking forward to tonight! But maybe this was just a one off. I had a lot of caffeine yesterday and was suffering from particularly bad insomnia when it hit.

@Karen @Laura89 Thanks for the advice and information! :D

I also found this from an ENT's website. Hopefully, ENT's know more about ear fluttering than they do about tinnitus!

In addition, I found this reference from another ENT site:

A rare type of objective tinnitus is called muscular tinnitus. One hears a rhythmic twitching noise or fluttering noise in the ear. This can be caused by an irregular contraction of one of the two ear muscles in the middle ear that are attached to the hearing bones. This is very similar to the twitching of the eyelids that some people experience upon occasion. Muscular tinnitus can be related to caffeine intake, lack of sleep, and stress. It can also occur independent of any apparent cause. Also, the muscles in the throat that open and close the Eustachian tube from the nose to the ear can have a similar spasm and cause muscular tinnitus. This form of tinnitus usually resolves with time. If it does not resolve in a short time, low doses of anti-seizure medications can usually stop the contractions. If these prove ineffective, the muscles in the middle ear can be cut to stop their contractions by a minor surgical procedure.​

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      Good stuff jazz. I had to completely cut out caffeine as it makes mine go crazy so hopefully it was just that for you.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Mine has stopped for the time being (days now). It is really an unsettling feeling but always stops. I have however had it go on and off sporadically for days at a time.

I wonder if you can stretch the ear muscles through movements of the neck. When I have had muscle spasms in the past I stretch, seems to help. Also lack of hydration seems to contribute to muscle twitching for me. Maybe this is the case with the ear muscle as well.

14. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Mine twitch when I eat sugary stuff or coffee / cola. Also, very high sounds make them twitch. 40 years of T and I just figured this out last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I get "the twitch" every once in a while. Like Morse code - dot.....dot....dot..., and it does feel like a physical sensation. It goes away after a short while. Don't know what brings it on.

I don't know if its from my hearing damage or if I had it before. Truth be told, I paid very little attention to any transient hearing issues before I had permanent T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I get that too...the dott...dott...dot thing. It's like a clicking. I think it's part of my tinnitus, just another subjective sound.

But this is more like a thump...if there was a microphone in my ear it would definitely be audible.

t

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @Laura89 what is vascular tinnitus??

18. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      It has to do with your arteries or veins, there's some sort of turbulent blood flow happening and u hear whoosh whoosh whoosh goes with your heartbeat. I suspect a condition called intracranial hypertension :(

19. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Laura89 ok it sounds like Pulsatile Tinnitus then....

20. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      @ampumpkin yes it is, totally sucks. Hopefully soon here I can get the proper tests and have treatment...

21. ampumpkin
      Amused

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      so a morse code is considered Pulsatile Tinnitus then??!

• Creative Creative x 1
    22. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      In addition, I found this reference from another ENT site:

A rare type of objective tinnitus is called muscular tinnitus. One hears a rhythmic twitching noise or fluttering noise in the ear. This can be caused by an irregular contraction of one of the two ear muscles in the middle ear that are attached to the hearing bones. This is very similar to the twitching of the eyelids that some people experience upon occasion. Muscular tinnitus can be related to caffeine intake, lack of sleep, and stress. It can also occur independent of any apparent cause. Also, the muscles in the throat that open and close the Eustachian tube from the nose to the ear can have a similar spasm and cause muscular tinnitus. This form of tinnitus usually resolves with time. If it does not resolve in a short time, low doses of anti-seizure medications can usually stop the contractions. If these prove ineffective, the muscles in the middle ear can be cut to stop their contractions by a minor surgical procedure.​
      [/QUOTE]

THIS IS ME AS WELL!!!

23. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have been taking vit d advised by my doctor after some blood tests, it has been 3 days now, no ear twitch at all.

Maybe just a coincidence, who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Laura89
      Tired

Laura89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 14, 2014
      hey Telis, im in Calgary too :D!!!

• Like Like x 1
    25. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      my ears 'twitch', every day all day, sometimes randomly mostly after every speech (every sentence finished by either me or someone else). It's mostly when there is no bagground noise, in mornings it twitches/'pops' like crazy, after many sounds, decreases with stress but is generally there on an extreme scale. Also with each yawn I can 'grab' onto the muscle and make the same effect. Note it isn't just tmj pops, my jaw pops out of joint every time I open my mouth fully, crackles too, but the noise/pop has nothing to do with that

26. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      @Tenna have you gotten used to it? How do you cope?

27. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It's most of a shock in the start really, taking focus from tinnitus to the twitches. Automatically as you realise it isn't some bug moving around in your ear you'll start habituating slowly to the twitch, in most cases it's very mild, random and goes away. Mine has been here since January and started at h start, I only think it escalated because I have a lot of problems than t to deal with, so you shouldnt worry too much, it's essential focusing on coping with your h (if you have that) as it's usually a product of that, and focus on not overprotecting :)

28. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

I've had this happen a lot in the past and didn't really think much about it. Mine was very intermittent though and would come and go for a few days then be gone. Is yours all the time?

It's nice to know it has a name, I think someone here said it's TTTS? But yeah, mine seemed to be set off by certain sounds. Like when my mom would talk to me lol. Weird I know but as soon as I removed the offending sound it would settle down faster.

29. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      tensor tympani syndome. Oh yes, the mother trigger :p
      Mine differs in degree but it's there every day, it's hard to judge I think, as I've stopped noticing it sometimes

30. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had weird twitching ear sensations for weeks, annoying as hell! I tried magnesium and the twitching/muscle spasms stopped, maybe worth a try?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1