Two of My Younger Students Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ed209, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I was doing my lessons earlier, when I heard a droning noise to the right of me. Out of instinct I said to them, “do you hear that noise”, they listened and said “yea”. It turns out somebody was mowing their lawn at a weird hour. Anyway, from this, the 13 year old just came out with the fact that she hears a constant whining noise all day long and described it like “eeeeeeeeeee”, and said she hears it during school as well. I told her 1 in 10 people hear that and that she must protect her ears when around loud noise and to be careful when using earphones (not to play them loudly in her ears).

Her 10 year old sister said I hear that when I’m trying to go to sleep!! It goes “eeeeeeeeeee”. I couldn’t believe it.

Thought I’d share this story here.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I remember in will shatner's PSA he talks about how 30% (IIRC) of children today have some form of hearing loss. Since both siblings had it, maybe it is a genetic thing? or predisposition?

Either way it is sad to have to grow up never knowing silence. I hope they heed your warning about using hearing protection and they should be okay!

• Like Like x 3
    3. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Agree @Jack Straw Sad but probably easier in some ways. Kids adapt and you don’t miss what you never had. @marc 1974 london seems the most grounded person on here.

But @Ed209 maybe have a word with their parents and get them to block a website called Tinnitus talk

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually laughed out loud at this lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Why would we say that is? I am a 90s kid myself and the only thing I think is different is the headphone/earbud market to go along with portable devices such as smartphones.

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure, but I do suspect it has to do with portable music devices people use and the lack of education about hearing loss and tinnitus.