Ugh I Guess

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Shawty, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Shawty
      Insomnious

Shawty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably an ear infection or damage to the eardrums.
      So I'm brand new to tinnitus. I am already looking at ways to help it but I'm also already feeling pretty discouraged. I wont let it get to me as much as possible but I have some pretty bad anxiety disorder so idk.

2. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      i hate to sound like a broken record but here is my advice since you are fairly recent:

1) see an ENT as soon as possible
      2) after seeing your ENT if the tinnitus is not gone by two weeks and if its acoustic trauma, infection or colesterol related (those are the cases that has worked for at least three people), try to get yout doctor to prescribe trobalt or retigabine as soon as possible. Read the retigabine thread.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shawty
      Insomnious

Shawty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @papu Thanks so much, that really helps. I think I'll try some of those things, but I've heard medication doesn't help most people. But again, thanks for helping, and I'll definitely try all my options. :)

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to TT, @Shawty. Here we understand your struggle with T as many were where you are now. So you are never alone here. I will try to offer a few suggestions:

Masking to help with anxiety:
      When T is new and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic, it is advisable to get masking ASAP so you won’t be so anxious and fearful. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. Here is a TT thread with an audio player for many good masking sounds. It also comes with nice tips for new sufferers . There are also links to ATA & BTA with loads of more info. The more you understand tinnitus and how it works, the less fearful and stressful you are and which is good for T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

(the icons on the left side give you instructions step by step)

Supplements, diet and Natural alternative products for sleep:
      Members here often recommend some good supplements, such as NAC, Magnesium, Zinc, B12, D3, etc., and reduce intake of salt, sugar, MSG, caffeine, alcohol etc. You may also want to help yourself to get more sleep. Sleep deprivation is one sure way to fire up T. Get some bed time masking such as a sound machine or a sound pillow etc., so you can fall asleep better.

Instead of sleep meds from the doctor, you can try natural alternatives such as Camomile tea, Hops, Valerian tablets, Melatonin etc. Check out this site on using natural herbs for sleep problem:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia/

Prednisone and corticosteroids:
      Since your tinnitus is so new and may be related to acoustic trauma, you may want to get your doctor/ENT to prescribe a course of prednisone or other corticosteroids. Members here often recommend new T patients to get this treatment as soon as possible. Here is a discussion thread on this treatment:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...dexamethasone-others-oral-and-injections.348/

Read Success Stories:
      Try to read as many success stories as you can. They can help lift your spirit and reduce your anxiety. They also contain insights and wisdom from those who have gotten better. I was in a mess a few years back afflicted with ultra high pitch dog whistle T and severe hyperacusis which turned all normal sounds unbearably loud and piercingly hurtful. I also had relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I never thought I could recover and have a good life again. But here I am living a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. I list some pointers which have helped me greatly. If you wish to read it, here is the link:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/from-darkness-to-light-how-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

You may want also to read the most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple effective strategy by IWLM:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

There are a lot of things you can learn from TT to help you get better. Don't panic and don't despair. You will be just fine. Just believe it. Take good care & God bless.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shawty
      Insomnious

Shawty Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @billie48 Thank you so much for the help. I was really anxious the first day and panicked a lot because I didn't know what I was, then I found this forum looking up what was 'wrong' with me. Thank you so much for the help, again. :3