Unexplained Tinnitus Fixed by Seeing a Chiropractor

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by softmoth, Nov 30, 2016.

1. softmoth

softmoth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      So I just signed up for this forum last night because I was at my wits end with this ringing and didn't know what to do, and today my first post gets to be about what made my tinnitus go away!

In mid-October during a yoga class, I stood up and went inexplicably deaf in my right ear. I sat back down on my mat for a while and the hearing returned to my ear, but with a very loud static sound. I'm a fit and healthy 21 year old yoga teacher, so I wasn't doing anything physically unusual on it's onset. Eventually the sound went away, but 2 days later the high pitched ring/hiss noises started, consistently in both ears.

I went to the doctor and was told I had an ear infection, given ear drops, and sent away. It did nothing. I went back a week later, was told I never had an ear infection but a sinus infection, given nasal spray, and sent away. 4 days after that I went back, was told I did in fact have an ear infection and was given antibiotics and referred to an ENT doctor. I had gotten an outer ear infection in mid-September from getting caught in the rain, so I wondered if maybe that had something to do with it, but at my ENT appointment I did multiple hearing tests and those plus an examination found absolutely nothing wrong. My hearing was above average for my age and I did not have an ear infection or any evidence of a recent one.

At this point I had been going crazy. I was wearing ear plugs on the bus or walking through the city because I was so afraid of making it worse. I have OCD so I kept fixating on it and having intense anxiety. I am a tense person anyway, and all this added anxiety was wreaking havoc on my body. Back and neck problems run in my family and I remembered my mom religiously seeing a chiropractor when I was a child, so I figured now was as good a time as any.

I booked an appointment for the same day at a well respected clinic nearby, and mentioned the tinnitus as the cause of my stress to the chiropractor. She said that many people come in to have tinnitus treated, and that it was definitely possible to "cure" the alignment issues causing it.

I've been seeing her for 2 weeks now, twice a week, and though I noticed a small improvement after my first few sessions, I was afraid that I would be stuck with this ringing for life. I also had been taking Advil for menstrual cramps earlier this week, and she said Advil can aggravate the pre-existing T. I stopped taking it, this was 2 days ago. Last night I couldn't even think because I was so anxious about the T, and so I joined this website and started researching an expensive German ginkgo biloba extract that some people have had luck with.

Today was a little better, I was noticing the T much less as usual, though it was still there. I went to my appointment as usual and after she did an adjustment on my cervical spine/neck, it occurred to me that there was no ringing. I could not hear my T.

It's been roughly an hour, and I can only hear the T if I plug my ears and listen for it. It has come back a little since the adjustment, but it's a huge improvement. I'm crossing my fingers that the next couple of appointments take care of it once and for all.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think what you are saying is fantastic. I will say that you are still so new with T that it could have just gone away naturally.