Upcoming Dental Work and MRI

Discussion in 'Support' started by Imshael, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely jaw and/or neck issues
      Hi guys! Just having the need to vent a little bit, because I'm getting really nervous.

In October I've got some dental work coming up, don't know exactly what it's going to be but my mouth is a mess, so I'm guessing it's not gonna be easy. The doctor that I went to see about my tinnitus thought that my jaw was the cause behind it, so I'm trying to stay positive that going to the dentist might actually help me out. However, I am getting really nervous that it might change my tinnitus for the worse. As it is now, it's really not to bad. Sure, there are better and worse days, but nothing to horrible. Then I've seen somewhere that removing wisdom teeth might affect it and make it worse, and dental work in general doesn't seem that great when it comes to tinnitus.

I also have an upcoming MRI (not related to tinnitus), and that is also making me nervous. I know these things are loud, and I don't know if the hospital is offering only earplugs or earmuffs, and I'd feel really silly asking them beforehand (ridiculous, I know).

So, I guess that I'm asking for positive stories or just some advice on how to stop worrying.

2. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      In fact, I think it's quite safe.

You may even get a decrease in the volume of your tinnitus as a result of injecting lidocaine.
      The noise of the boron-machine can not damage the ear in any way.

I recently went to the hairdresser's and she used a very loud trimmer around my ears, which also vibrated so that my jaws trembled. All this a centimeter from the ear.

I knew that she would use this trimmer because I was already at her last time.

But for some reason I went there again. I got a spike. I am distressed and depressed to the depths of my soul, and I hope that this is temporary.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @IvanRus, and thanks for the reply. Sorry to heat that you got a spike, I hope that it's only temporary and that you get better soon!

About the dentist, shouldn't that be louder than a trimmer?

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Imshael Just three thoughts since you have jaw and neck issues. The first is to place your thumb and hand under your chin/jaw if the dentist is applying pressure from inside your mouth. The second is to keep your head on the headrest. Third is to close mouth partly for a few seconds when the dentist doesn't have something your mouth. If you do this you won't get somatic tinnitus and you will be fine. I wouldn't be on this site now - if I had done what I mentioned. Don't let what I said make you nervous, just keep yourself safe by staying relaxed in the chair - head to the headrest and hand under chin.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the tip @Greg Sacramento , I'll try to think about this. Still, I worry about the possible sounds, but I guess there's not much to do about that.

6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Imshael I sure understand. The dentist thing isn't easy for me either. Mostly the anxiety of waiting...it is so important to take care of any dental problems. I have been through several different dental things and my tinnitus was not affected long term at all.

Never never feel silly asking for anything Imshael. Ask before hand for sure.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Glad to hear that you haven't had any problems! As you said, the waiting is horrible. I can just hope that I'll be fine and that my tinnitus won't be affected by it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Imshael another thought I forgot to mention is if you ever feel uncomfortable with the dentist or doctor or procedure do not be afraid to get up and walk out. I wish I had done that years ago. But, I felt sort of embarrassed or intimidated into complying?

Now I trust my gut instinct and am not afraid to leave if I feel something isn't right or my questions are not answered. This happened just a few months ago to my husband. The dentist insisted he needed an implant ASAP. Went into all the horrors and such if he did not. I took him by the arm and walked out of that office.

Second opinion and further x-rays proved we were right to walk out.

So do not be intimidated when you are going through dental stuff. Get a second opinion if you think something is off.

Hugs!!!

9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      My simple recommendation is to use earplugs +!! earmuffs at your MRI. And insert your earplugs properly.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Imshael
      Procrastinating

Imshael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for the advice @Starthrower. I do confess, walking out might be a bit hard for me as well (guess I'm a bit of a pushover). This isn't the usual dentist I go to either (I have had the same one since I was a child, but I'm living at the wrong side of the country so usually try to go when I'm home visiting), and I'm not sure if that would make it easier or harder to leave if it doesn't feel right. But I guess the only thing I can do is wait and see what happens.