Using Earplugs — How Do You Avoid Building Up Wax? Or Avoid Developing Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      How do you guys avoid building up wax? Or avoid developing hyperacusis?

I have used ear plugs a few months ago nearly every day because of my hyperacusis and noisy work place. My work isn't continuously loud, but there are sudden bursts of noise because of mechanics working relatively close to me. I've measured the dB levels from where I'm standing and they don't seem to exceed 85 dB, which makes ear plug use complicated. Most of the time it's quiet at work, which means I'm overprotecting my ears for most of the time apart from the five random outbursts per hour.

Wearing ear plugs all day has therefore increased my hyperacusis, and I've also noticed that I build up an excessive amount of wax when I do that.

This scares me because I would really like to avoid procedures such as syringing or micro suction.

Yet at the same time, I would like to give my ears a break every now and again from having to walk away or plugging my ears with my fingers when these noises appear.

So I was just wondering what you guys do to avoid over protecting, and avoid an excessive development of wax.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I barely use them unless I’m going to be in w loud environment like a bar for something which is rare these days.

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      A trick I learned recently was, when you do not need a lot of protection, cut about 25-30% off a pair of foam earplugs. This is also good for windy days.