Using Headset for Video Games?

Discussion in 'Support' started by vaseto99, Feb 15, 2018.

1. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      Hello guys I got my tinnitus some months ago.

I am not sure what caused it but I remember some time ago I was playing CS:GO with really loud volumes.

After I got tinnitus I am trying to protect my ears.

Anyways I wonder if using headsets for video games at low volume (20-50) is safe? I usually play shooters lately but I don't want to continue damaging my ears...

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I use headphones regularly and keep the volume low. No negative impact on my T so far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If your tinnitus is intrusive i'd avoid headsets and ear buds. Even low volumes via headsets/ear buds have made my low secondary tone much louder and uncomfortable. I'd advise for you to not use them, it's all up to you....

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You risk making your tinnitus worse by using headphones or headsets even at low volume.....

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      When I first joined this forum, I continued using headphones despite the fact that earphones gave me tinnitus. After reading the pros & cons of continued headphone use, I have since stopped using them not wanting to risk making my tinnitus worse. For me it's just not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      Yesterday I used my headset at low volume for almost the entire day for gaming... The night I had a bad spike and couldn't sleep. Do you think it I screwed my ears even more or maybe it will be a temporary spike? I thought with low volume maybe I won't ruin my ears more... I will avoid using headphones from now on but I hope the spike isn't permanent :(

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @vaseto99

Many people that have tinnitus think using headphones/headsets/earbuds at low volume will not cause any harm and they will be safe. It is true some people with tinnitus and use these devices at low volume are not affected. However, there is a risk of making the tinnitus permanently worse particularly if the tinnitus was originally caused by exposure to loud noise. Even some doctors tell patients with tinnitus, it's okay to use headphones/headsets/earbuds as long as the volume is kept low.

I and other people that have "noise induced" tinnitus believe differently because we live with this condition. I hope your tinnitus reduces and the spike that you have is temporary. For your own peace of mind and health, I advise you to never use headphones/headsets/earbuds/sleephones. Those that wish to use these devices and tell you that it's safe then let them go ahead. Tinnitus can be very unforgiving when it becomes severe and can make for an unpleasant experience.

I wish you all the best
      Michael

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
      • Like Like x 3
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      A spike doesn't always mean ,that we damaged our ears. I suggest that you do not use headphones/ear buds. They can irritate the ears even at low volumes. What is done is done, don't dwell on it.

Most spikes settle down from a few hours to a few days (most of the time)....

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. kenJP

kenJP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 10 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma/Headphone use/Bad temper
      Late to the party. Anyone tried using musician earplugs underneath over the ear headphones? That could be a safe compromise. Thoughts?

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't see the point: just turn down the volume.

11. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Use a mic.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The best compromise is to never use headphones if you have noise induced tinnitus. The misery if your tinnitus increases and will not return to its previous manageable level is just not worth it. I have corresponded with many people that have habituated to their tinnitus. Returned to using headphones and now regret it when their tinnitus has increased and causing them a lot of distress. Pardon my expression, but only a fool would take this sort of gamble if they knew how devastating tinnitus can be!

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1