Valacyclovir for Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario martz, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey guys I've been "Researching" and I came across a Meniere's forum and some people in there have had an excellent outcome using valacyclovir to treat their MD symptoms.

I'm gonna copy paste what one of the users stated

"I have been taking Valtrex (valacyclovir) since last Feb. I found relief from vertigo within weeks, but i had no idea that i would find so much more relief after 6-7 months.

List of symptoms that have been eliminated:

No vertigo
      No dizziness
      Not even off balance anymore
      Complete restoration of hearing
      No hyperacusis
      No tinnitus

No fullness
      No weather affects me anymore

In short, i have NO symptoms anymore. Total recovery.

I can now do the following activities:

Skydiving (can you imagine??)
      ATVs
      Running, swimming, karate, cycling
      I am even allowed to fly my airplane again (can you imagine??)
      I can eat what i want. No dietary restrictions other than common sense."​

I don't think this is snake oil, since there isn't any type of profit in this.
      ALSO, the user is a regular member there since a year ago.
      and there are other users in there having the same type of results.

http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=1832.0

:)

2. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      I had a personal correspondance with someone here who takes valtrex for a known chronic infection, and surprisingly it has done great things for the Menieres symptoms they experience.

That being said, I would not take valtrex unless you have good evidence of a viral infection, and before you at least get a second opinion about the hydrops diagnosis. It can cause a lot of side effects. But of course, this is coming from someone who has a strong distrust of any kind of prescription meds because of how sick I have been made with them.

So with that said I would see if there is a chance you have a chronic infection FIRST and proceed to make sure that you really do have hydrops. I am getting tested for herpes symplex virus soon, and if found positive I will likely go on valtrex, but that is the only reason I would ever put that in my body.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016

Hiii Coyote!!
      im not planning on taking valtrex unless i have awful symptoms that i really hope i wont have.
      just wanted to share while i was researching since at least more than 10 suffers posted that their symptoms went away for as long as they been taking it, just wanted to share because i know there are many people with menieres or illness that are very similar.

of course i cant stand behind these claims because i dont even know them (the people who took valtrex)
      but people who are desperate maybe can give it a try??
      also i read somewhere that long term use of valtrex doesnt have severe secondary effects.
      BUT AGAIN.... im just informing and leaving links.

:D i hope it does works, and someone finds it helpful

• Like Like x 1
    4. Coyotesheaven
      Depressed

Coyotesheaven Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multiple
      @Mario martz

Ah, I see. Then it is good that you are sharing these ideaas. This is one of those drugs that goes often goes missed when it comes to Meniere's treatments.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Yes, actually i found this too...
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25940200

"Significant hearing and balance control in patients with MD can be achieved with orally administered antiviral drugs"

and this...
      "It has now been almost nine months since I originally posted my Meniere’s Disease story below. How have the past nine months gone for me, you might ask? Unbelievably well, thank you! I have not had a single vertigo episode or even a hint of vertigo in the entire nine months. I am approaching two years of vertigo relief since starting the Acyclovir treatment."

http://www.mymenieres.org/

and of course what i found in the menieres forum *posted above*
      it cant be snake oil, the same OP in the thread have been frecuent users in that blog for years.
      so if this "treatment" could help someone from here too, that would be amazing :)

as i said i dont know the science behind this.
      and people should think about the possible secondary effects.

6. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Hey Gotyoubynuts!
      mmmm no im not sure D:
      my doctor thinks its likely???
      according my audiogram my hearing is fine in both of my ears.
      but the lower frecuencys are lower againts the higher ones.
      sooo the doctor thinks it could be "menieres"
      but i dont have the classic symptoms.
      so who knows...

8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here is another positive outcome:

"Placebo or not, I don't care at this point. Started 800mg acyclovir 3x/day today. Shortly after the third pill, aural fullness and hyperacusis are already almost entirely gone; tinnitus is receding and hearing is clearly improving. I was super doubtful, but now I'm reeling at the possibility this might actually work. Other folks who have tried this... is this normal?"

Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 23.59.02.png

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i have read that a lot people have had success..
      and after a year they are symptom free!!!!
      not even tinnitus, that leads me to believe that maybe tinnitus can be reversible
      and maybe comes from the inflamation of a nerve...
      idk....
      its fascinating

• Like Like x 1
    10. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 2
    11. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I took something similar called famciclovir (3x 500mg tablets) last week and it made my T spike quite badly plus H, almost instantly. Serious aural fullness. I researched if it was ototoxic before hand, but nothing came up. It's only just starting to settle down but I'm concerned my baseline is now higher.

I get a cold sore like maybe every couple of years (apparently something like 80% of the population have HSV1 or 2 or both, but only 30% are symptomatic). Anyway topical acyclovir is effective, but a couple of years ago I bought some famciclovir after a pharmacist suggested it, and remembering I had it and this was the first reoccurrence since then, decided to try it before it expires. I had read about success stories with menieres and antivirals, and having had menieres-like vertigo a few months ago, seemed worth a try. Such regret. Also been getting more momentary vertigo spells than usual since taking it.

The spike may have been coming anyway from other activities last week – cycling in the park, a drive in the mountains, a meal at a louder restaurant than I would normally eat at, or that last week was just extremely stressful at work. But taking this stuff made it worse immediately! Never again!!

12. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      This would suggest meniere's is possibly caused by a virus, if not hsv in particular. That's interesting.