Valsalva Manoeuvre Whilst Descending — Wise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Oct 1, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      is doing the above manoeuvre wise when descending if the ears can't equalise? I just thought that if the blocked ear is causing pain and pressure, wouldn't doing this cause the ear drum to burst?

Thanks.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I wouldn't do it ,I have had it done to see if helped my Menieres by a ENT consultant but would not do it myself....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @geg1992

I would not do it either... Actually I think my T might has to do with it as well since I was flying a lot when I developed T and I used to do it frequently and quite strongly too...

Nowadays I still fly a lot but I try with a gum, or yawning, swallowing saliva or keeping the mouth wide open while descent (this last thing looks a bit weird to others but I don't care :)

Lastly and only if I still have some problems, which recently happens to my right ear, then and only then I do the valsava but super soft and super slowly and only until I feel it works on my right ear.. But I try not to really...

Best of luck !! Take care !!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Don't do it. IIRC, I believe that @Telis ended up with much worse tinnitus after doing the maneuver.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      @geg1992 I only do it very, very gently -- and not while descending (I assume you mean in an airplane). Like @Lorenzo74, I do the mouth open trick -- along with using EarPlanes ear plugs. So far, no problems.