Valsalva Manoeuvre Whilst Descending — Wise?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Oct 1, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      is doing the above manoeuvre wise when descending if the ears can't equalise? I just thought that if the blocked ear is causing pain and pressure, wouldn't doing this cause the ear drum to burst?

Thanks.

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I wouldn't do it ,I have had it done to see if helped my Menieres by a ENT consultant but would not do it myself....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey @geg1992

I would not do it either... Actually I think my T might has to do with it as well since I was flying a lot when I developed T and I used to do it frequently and quite strongly too...

Nowadays I still fly a lot but I try with a gum, or yawning, swallowing saliva or keeping the mouth wide open while descent (this last thing looks a bit weird to others but I don't care :)

Lastly and only if I still have some problems, which recently happens to my right ear, then and only then I do the valsava but super soft and super slowly and only until I feel it works on my right ear.. But I try not to really...

Best of luck !! Take care !!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Don't do it. IIRC, I believe that @Telis ended up with much worse tinnitus after doing the maneuver.

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      @geg1992 I only do it very, very gently -- and not while descending (I assume you mean in an airplane). Like @Lorenzo74, I do the mouth open trick -- along with using EarPlanes ear plugs. So far, no problems.