Vented Versus Non-Vented Earplugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mystery Reader, May 18, 2018.

1. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Hi,
      I've seen references to both "vented" and "non-vented" earplugs, but not sure what the real difference is between them.

I'm looking for something I can just keep in my pocket and pop in, should there be a situation where there isn't time to roll up the foam plugs.

I've looked at Pro Plugs, Alpine, and 3-M flanged on Amazon, and have noticed vented/non-vented on some of them, but not sure which is the best option for quick use, or if I'm going to be in a restaurant or place where there is apt to be a lot of noise.

I'm trying not to overprotect, but do have some noise sensitivity from time to time and want to be prepared. (Also looking into Peltor muffs for extreme emergency, or an ear muff that is MRI-compliant, should I ever need one. Best to be ready, I guess.)

Any input (including what plugs you folks use, vented/non-vented, decibel reduction, etc., and your experiences as to what you consider best for restaurants, loud gatherings, or quick-to-pop-in if a line of motorcycles suddenly appears out of nowhere! etc.) is appreciated!

The regular pharmacy foam plugs I occasionally use now have a noise reduction rating of 32 decibels.

Thanks!

Mystery Reader

2. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I use these Etymotic earplugs when I'm in a noisy environment and I need to hear nearby conversation - https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Ear...s=etymotic+earplugs&psc=1&smid=A2R5UKCLECW4MJ - though I have not done any comparison shopping for this type of earplug. I had to cut off the smallest flange because they otherwise went too far into my apparently large ear canal to get a good seal. Two flanges work just fine. I'd be interested in the experiences of others, as well.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If you're pressed by time, nothing's faster than sticking your fingers in your ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GregCA
      Oh, believe me -- I've done that more times than I can count in the past six months :) I'm really curious about the differences between vented and non-vented, though, and just having something handy in case I'm out with friends and it gets loud, or if I'm out walking and decide for one reason or another that I need to use some protection other than the foam plugs. By the way, I've read many of your posts here since I joined the forum and you have been a big help to me in many ways. Thank you!

Mystery Reader

• Like Like x 1
    5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Custom ear plugs with adjustable filters. ACS/Etymotic/etc.

I don't like the idea of foam or silicone plugs that completely shut off the ear completely.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @yonkapin
      Thanks very much for your input! I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this.

Mystery Reader

7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Etymotic manufactures some of their earplugs in a Large size, as well as standard.

I have the ER20XS, standard. It's 15 decibals of noise reduction, that that's usually enough for most situations such as the subway, noisy streets, etc. I carry around a pair of foam 32 db ones, as well for emergencies.

• Like Like x 1
    8. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The vented ones usually seem to offer little less protection and a bit more natural sound profile due to the venting channel. However, the most important thing is to choose ones that fit well and insert them properly, so that the flanges won't bend too much and create a channel for the sound to leak through.

9. John Smythe

John Smythe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus: