Very Loud Pressure Toilets... How Loud Are We Talking in Decibels?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rust, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (2008 initially) 2015 as I know it today
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initially stress, but noise exposure made it worse
      Hi all,

Today I was in a public train station toilet cubicle, and the sucking/pressure toilet made the most monumentally loud sucking thud-like sound. It startled me.

It was much, much louder than any pressure toilets I've heard before, and it made me wince and caused some slight pain in both ears.

Have any of you experienced this before, and how loud would you say it was? I would peg it at about 110db, but who knows, it's so hard to tell.

My tinnitus sounds worse either way.

Thanks, as always
      R

2. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Yes, many of us have noticed how loud they can be. Worse?...by a large margin? Hand dryers are off the chain loud.

Will only add there is limited data on toilet dB because generally conceded its such a shitty job to measure it.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Some of the more modern hand driers are quieter (out of fear of lawsuit perhaps), but I definitely agree that some of them are very loud! As for toilets, I cannot say I have encountered loud flushing ones.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This toilet was much louder than the hand dryers. It was more of an intense bang-like sound, rather than the medium loud drone of a hand dryer.

I wonder if anyone has experienced a loud one like me, or if I am just an unlucky one! I certainly my have never heard loud ones like this anywhere.

I sure hope it doesn't cause permenant trouble

5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Many with tinnitus no longer use toilets and have taken to the bush to avert loud toilets.
      YMMV and good luck.

• Funny Funny x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, and I followed your good advice. This afternoon I shunned a shopping mall public toilet, instead chosing to urinate in front of a popular ladies clothing outlet. The security guard questioned me, but when I told him "It's okay, I have tinnitus", he replied "I'm sorry, please carry on sir".

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      You should have told him : "I have Toilet T and I feel like shit"

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Being an Australian, I am of course unfamiliar with toilets. A hole quickly dug with the powerful hind legs works at least as well, and filling it in afterward is a fairly quiet process.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      If you think about it Paul, modern man has only been around on earth for 200,000 years and modern high power flush toilets that the OP asked about only the last 30 years or so...maybe less. No question with man living longer and subjecting himself to high dB devices...call it an invention with unintended consequences...this has spawned a higher population of tinnitus because high sound levels are inconsistent with man's evolution aka ability to genetically cope with this new normal.

As to a hole quickly dug you mentioned, this was modeled to modern man by no other than the kangaroo indigenous to your great country actually pre-dating modern modern man when early man hunted and gathered for over 6 million years as early man observed kangaroos known for their powerful hind legs. No word if early man jumped off of cliffs trying to fly like large birds they observed but according to Darwin, no doubt they did. Digging a hole is a tried and true method still used all over the world and perhaps once again will be the dominant method now that the word is out on how loud noise can damage hearing.
      Cheers.

10. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      In America, there is a huge uproar about transgender people using particular sex restrooms...leaving room for the inevitable fraud of course which makes people uncomfortable. Of course being politically correct and sympathetic to those with disabilities like our hearing deficit, I have been lobbying Congress for tinnitus restrooms throughout the land which have the obligatory pre dug hole versus a modern toilet which can evoke ear pain and long term consequences.
      No word on whether this will be accepted. So far the response has been, "just get used to it".

11. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      I dread public toilets. Oftentimes I would just cover my ears when the water flushes. And when people outside are using those damn dryers that sound like planes taking off. I'm serious. Who cares how many decibels it is exactly. I just know they are too loud.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yes, another way to drain the swamp, but with the gift of silence.

• Funny Funny x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rust
      Fine

Rust Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes you're right, the dryers are very loud!

Usually, I have had no trouble with flush noises. This flush though was a different kettle of fish, an almost explosion-like momentary suction sound. Enough to hurt both ears and make them worse.

Still not better, but I'm going to give it two weeks! I really hope it improves!

14. Stephen1144

Stephen1144 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      gun noise
      Neighbor's leaf blowers bother me. Neighbors who constantly use these dam things, even when there's hardly any leaves out there, should be ashamed of themselves for bothering their neighbors.

They really should regulate these noise machines and by law, silencing devices must be on from the manufacturer.