Very Low Pitched Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Paulie87, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi Guys,

I have had some high pitched tinnitus for years which I habituated too.

Recently on the day of the birth of my first child I went to bed and woke up the next day with my head humming a very low bass noise. Like 75 HZ - 100 HZ low.

My hearing has changed although still shows as ok, and I have a bit of a woozy feeling. I have ear tubes and there is nothing obviously wrong with my middle ear, so after years of seeing me with on and off issues like this, my Otologist has diagnosed me with atypical menieres. This particular low frequency idling/bass/rumbling is so awful and so difficult to mask. There are very little natural maskers in the environment with bass in them, which means this noise hums right along TV, when outside at night etc. It's maddening.

Worst is when I lay down on my back in bed, it pretty much takes over my head instead of being predominately in the left ear.

I need to be there for my son and wife, but have felt so down and out. Does anything have any experience with this and whether it can get better or whether I will eventually get used to it? This last week and a half since it started I've been a recluse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I've got the same and I can fully relate to your experience.
      Low frequency is very disturbing.
      I've had it for nearly 6 years.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Paulie87

Paulie87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How do you deal with it?

4. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I really have nothing smart or encouraging to say. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.
      Still early days for you so there's a chance it may go away.

5. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I've had this one on and off. The last couple of nights I got rid of it by sleeping as upright as possible on my side.