Vibration Upsetting Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ClubRacer, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ClubRacer

ClubRacer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One night in a club
      I'm wondering if vibration can upset tinnitus?

I work in construction and since the night club incident I’ve been very careful around loud noises but I’m also into my cars and have loud exhaust.

I race certain ones on track and with solid mounts the inside of the car would be full of vibration.

I wear my musician ear buds and it’s not loud in my ear but my whole body is vibrating.

I’m just wondering can this upset my tinnitus?

I’ve had a bad spike out of the blue about 3 weeks ago now and still hasn’t really settled down and I’ve no cause for hoping it settles down to a not noticeable state again....

Been to doctors and hospital and my hearing, reflex’s etc are all great so nothingness has changed there.

2. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @ClubRacer.
      Sound is basically created by vibrations. If the engine and tyres make the car to vibrate heavily, the vibrations can create some additional sound pressure in low frequencies, along with the normal noise from the engine and tyres.

We hear low frequencies generally softer than high frequencies, and the A-weighted decibel scale (dB(A)) is commonly used because of this. Recommendations for noise exposure limits are usually in dB(A). However, there are other scales as well like C-weighting (dB(C)) which represents more the true amount of sound pressure, and can be useful if there's lot of low frequency noise.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ClubRacer

ClubRacer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One night in a club
      Thank you for your advice, I’m not sure what has caused this spike in my left ear i have quite a lot of pressure in my head more so around ears and front of head but as said I’m very careful around loud noises I think maybe the vibration is what has done it tho it wouldn’t explain how in the last 3 years it hasn’t and my hearing is still very good.
      The ringing is quite loud but the pressure in the head is what doesn’t help matters I’m hoping it passes and I can enjoy my cars as I’ve alwas done. From what my doctor has said he’s very confident it will return back to a none annoying state. If nothing has changed and no additional loud noises has been herd I hope this is the case or can tinnitus just get louder and stay that way for good?

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @ClubRacer, that would be my assessment as well. Whether or not that's the case however, I would urge you to keep in mind your ears are going through a very delicate healing process at the moment, and it would probably be very wise to err on the side of caution. -- Best to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ClubRacer

ClubRacer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One night in a club
      Yeah I’ve been as careful as possible with my job, usually a spike would be for a few days or week or 2 this is 6 weeks or so, so I’m thinking maybe the vibration of some of the work I was doing on site has annoyed it. Strange tbh I hope they go back to a normal level again that isnt really noticeable as my hearing etc is no different and I’ve been checked at doctors serveral times. Just hype sometimes for no reason as we all get but the pressure in my head is quite bad around front of head and ear feel tender. I had a sinus infection but after a month on the tablets you’d imagine it would have settled. Here hoping to getting sorted