Vietnam War Caused This Crap?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ole gray, Jan 30, 2018.

1. ole gray
      Fine

ole gray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      This forum looks like a good source for sharing info about tinnitus so joined up. I think my noise problems started during my stint in the Army however I have had on going problems for many years. I'm now 67 years old and it looks like I'll be dealing with the ringing until I kick the bucket.

Things I have noticed is the ringing goes up drastically after a few shots of Jim Bean. Beer does not seem to cause the same effect although I have not focused on that, yet. I'm going to refrain from drinking anything during the month of February to see if alcohol does intensify my symptoms.

I've read where alcohol helps some people and hurts others so maybe it's a body chemistry thing. I'm looking forward to getting educated from you experts.

By the way are there any over the counter stuff that actually helps?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Beer lowers my tinnitus, if I get drunk I don't really hear it at all. I don't do whiskey or other hard stuff except a Moscow mule once in a while. As for supplements I myself haven't had any impact from them. But others have with magnesium mostly.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      Thanks Jake and I'll give the magnesium supplements a try.

4. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      You gotta take supplements for at least 2 months to fully get in your system .

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to have T only in one ear. After I drank some alcohol, T had temporarily switched ears...

6. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      @ole gray you didn't tell us what caused your T were you exposed to gun noise in Nam. Or acoustic trama. Or infection

7. foliefortuna
      Sweet tooth

foliefortuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Disorder
      The real question is, how the hell have you been able to deal with tinnitus since 1975???

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      Actually I was in Nam in 1970 and the gun noise & explosions cause immediate ringing in my ears. We used ear plugs in basic training however did not in the war. You had to use all your senses to detect and or avoid the enemy and plugging up your ears was not an option. The ringing seemed to become more noticable a few years after which was in the 1975 time frame although that's at best a guess. I went to an ENT civilian doc when the ringing would get more noticeable and all he did was tell me I had some hearing loss. I should have had the ringing documented on my departure physical from the Army when I flew back from Nam and processed out at Ft Lewis in Washington state. Now I'm having a hell of a time getting compensated through the VA because of lack of evidence. You're in a war zone and you need evidence your frigging ears were damaged? Trust me when I tell you veterans are overlooked and put off when it comes to post war compensation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      I went to one civilian ENT doc who confirmed I had hearing loss. Years later I went to the VA and have gone through three different hearing tests which also confirmed my hearing problem however they have not done anything to help me. They said it's not severe enough for hearing aids so I continue to get the run around. I deal with it by doing my best to ignore it although you know how that goes. Actually when I play golf I don't notice it as much so I love being outdoors doing something that helps me forget it, at least for four hours. I also enjoy my gym and go four days per week and it helps to focus on my exercise which tunes out the ring for a couple hours. For me having something to distract you from the annoying ringing is key. Find a hobby or something to occupy your mind.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      What brand do you all recommend? I'm sure some or better than others so is there a certain one that works better?

11. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Some say supplements help others not but it's inexpensive and easy enough to try. You might consider these a place to start. My first ENT thought they could help, they didn't help me but some say they do, inexpensive and available on Amazon. There are dozens of other supplements you could try but these are a major component of most of the commercially marketed supplements tailored specifically for tinnitus but at a fraction of the cost. 91fjICsn8PL._SY679_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    12. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      @ole gray tell me about va I developed diabetes after my time in that other world. You're not alone the government won't acknowledge the damage done by gunfire nor most of anything else we came home with. Bioflavanoids is snake oil it won't help have a read under success stories at my post Apple cider vinegar works.
      Welcome home brother
      .bill

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      Apple Cider Vinegar works for Tinnitus? You drink it or rub it around your ears? o_O

14. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I have often wonders combat vet's and Tinnitus. I watch films of combat and think how many of these guys get T. I know the military takes ear protection much more serious now, my son did 8 years in the Army with tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and ear protection was taken serious. I'm sorry you had to get T from Vietnam, thank you for your service.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Bioflavonoids helped me, and I recommend them as being worthy of at least trying. Everyone is different.

Get the chelated version. I use Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium. It's a reputable brand.

Read the reviews on Amazon regarding both the bioflavonoids and magnesium. Also go to examine.com for in-depth info on the particular benefits of any supplement you are considering using. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
    16. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      You drink it

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam

Thanks for the info and I'll definitely check out the examine.com

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      Thank you ! Yea it's amazing how many people actually are dealing with tinnitus. The more I research it and see I'm not alone, it gives me hope that one day a cure will be found. It's not a life threatening issue however it sure will agitate the hell out of ya. Especially when you're trying to get a good night's rest. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      I've had it since 1970 and still kicking high. It's annoying as hell however I choose not to let it consume me. With that said, I would like some relief as mine spikes and you're right about it driving a person to wits end. We have to find things that distract us from our discomfort. For me it's golf and my gym. At night it's focusing on a tv program and the worst time for me is when I'm trying to sleep and get woke up. Once you hear that damn ringing you're done for the night. Mine is 24/7 and it goes from a 5 to a 7+ when it spikes.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      I have an appointment for my yearly physical coming up soon. I asked my doc to add magnesium to my pre physical lab tests. I want to see if I'm deficient and if so, I'll ask advice on how much and what type would be best to elevate it proper levels. I'm also requested something to help with sleep so we will see how this goes.

22. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Has anyone told you about Melatonin, some say it helps tinnitus but it is also a good supplement to help you sleep. Look into it. The prescription sleep medications are loaded with problems. In addition if you search around you will find a lot of people say Costco makes an OTC sleeping pill that works pretty good. One thing to know, most of the sleep stuff helps you get to sleep but isn't so good at keeping you asleep.

• Creative Creative x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ole gray
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vietnam
      Thanks for the heads up and yea I do take Melatonin on occasion and it does make me drowsy. It helps me get to sleep however it doesn't take me down for the count. I'm hoping for something to quiet my mind enough for the duration. When I first came home from Nam, they put me on some anti anxiety medicine for a while. I'm not a medicine fixes all cure fan and didn't want to stay on it for longer than necessary. I saw too many of my buddies get messed up on drugs.

24. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And that's the dilemma with this, for me and many others the benzodiazepines drugs can take the edge off and help you sleep. The bad news is there aren't many who think long term use is a good idea. I've used them in the past but have a healthy respect for the ease in which they can get out of control and no longer take them.

• Agree Agree x 1