Dr. Vik Veer (ENT) — Another TRT Messiah

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Jazzer, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh..

Caption for above:

I am a scientist and this is how I cured my tinnitus!!

:cautious: I better log off. I am in a crummy mood...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      @Jazzer @annV @Bam @david c @JohnAdams @Ed209 @Starthrower

Just wanted to let you guys know that I tweeted the link to the last Tinnitus Talk Podcast with David Stockdale to Mr. Veer.

I have to say, it feels very good to now have resources such as podcasts and videos to use at times like this. Big thank you to @Markku, @Hazel, @Steve, @glynis, @Jack Straw, @Karen, @Samir and everyone who contributes their time, and/or talents to Tinnitus Talk!

@Jazzer, if you think sharing your story with Mr. Veer would help just google Vik Veer and you'll get his information and Twitter ID as well.

Spread awareness!

TC

• Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Good job TC!

You also brought to my attention I am the only one without a name in purple :( What’s with that @Markku?!?! LOL JK!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      “If you think that sharing your story with Vik Veer would help ?”

Help in what way?

“It took about six weeks for the noise in my head to go completely...”

“Now that I am completely cured......?”

Now I really have no idea what condition Vik Veer considers he was suffering from - but I can tell you this much,
      - “It was not chronic severe Tinnitus.”

I imagine this guy to be a perfectly pleasant chap and all that, why would I think otherwise?
      But going on the evidence gleaned from his article, I see nothing there to appeal to me,”
      or anything likely to secure any type of change in my own situation.

• Like Like x 1
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jazzer

I see your point, but I was thinking more in terms of changing Mr. Veer's thinking. But, I really feel strongly that your story is too good to be wasted on those who would not appreciate it. You put too much of your heart and soul into making that video and it's your life and story. Since we don't know Mr. Veer well enough to know what, if any, the impact would be on him, I am fully on board with your decision.

Best, TC

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well - when we did the video I really wanted it to be 100% honest to my experience.
      I absolutely was determined to tell the truth as a sufferer.
      I saw loads of other videos by practitioners claiming this and that, but nothing that I considered even relevant to me.

I notice on YouTube Mike Barker has criticised it as being 90% negative.

Mike Barker says “thousands of people have recovered completely from tinnitus using Julian Cowan Hill’s methods.
      What is the point of a negative video?”

His statement is clearly nonsensical rubbish, and somebody should stand up and say so.

I would love to correct his ludicrous comment on YouTube, but feel, as the video poster, unable to defend my honest stance.

If you yourself, or anybody else would like to support my video in the review column, that would be great.

What do you think TC ?

7. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jazzer

Who is Mike Barker? I realize he's the one that left the rubbish comment but I'm sorry to say I don't recognize the name beyond that. Should I?

Plus if he's claiming these miraculous and complete recoveries using Julian Cowan Hill's methods, where is the evidence? If it was so effective people would be shouting from the roof tops and we'd all be lining up for treatment. Do you know anything about his methods?

I'm glad you brought this up. I accessed your story from here on Tinnitus Talk. It never occurred to me to head over to YouTube and post a review/comment. But I'd be happy to do it.

And I would encourage anyone else that hasn't posted a review of your story on YouTube to please do so. It's important that we all stand together.

TC

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No I know nothing about him, but he is talking ignorant tripe, and I don’t like to see his insulting comments standing up there uncontested.
      Would we all go on suffering if he was right.

Yes I read JC Hill’s book, and it read like a wishy-washy airy-fairy promise of habituation, which needed Craniosactal Therapy to achieve success.
      (That would make a nice pot of money for some therapist - eh?)
      It also entailed checking your own progress against a very complex table of 7 steps of improvement.
      Level 1 - Stuck
      Level 2 - Struggling
      Level 3 - Resigned
      Level 4 - Motivated
      Level 5 - Letting Go
      Level 6 - Empowered
      Level 7 - Liberated.

My honest opinion is - it is all nonsense.
      Romanticised notions - posing as science.
      I have read a good dozen books on Tinnitus and derived ‘something’ from most of them - no cure of course - but this book was easily the ‘daftest’ of them all.
      Mind you, avuncularity goes a long way with some people.
      I am 100% pragmatic.
      If there is a claim that something works, I will test it out, find out for myself, and let you know.

Having said that, if you watch his videos he comes across as a nice gentle guy, avuncular in attitude, with a nice friendly face and demeanour, with a Father Christmas beard.
      However, if you achieve any degree of help from his pseudo would-be scientific methods, I’ll eat my hat.
      (That’ad be a shame - I’m fond of that hat.)

319A9FEE-353A-43CF-9534-1FDE1F891F7F.jpeg

Thank you for your help in this regard Tuxedo,
      I haven’t forgotten that it was your encouragement that helped me to persevere with this project at a time when I was flagging badly.
      I am very grateful to you for that.
      Best wishes TC

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Hey @Jazzer is giving us that smile again. :rolleyes:

You will never have to eat your hat....

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi @TuxedoCat
      - did you feel that writing some sort of supporting comment on YouTube was relevant to our video TC?
      What do you really think?

Dave x
      Jazzer

11. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, @Jazzer. I spent some time this morning looking at some of Julian Cowan Hill's videos. Did you know he's even made a video in response to Prof Rauschecker's TED Talk? He says Rauschecker should not say there is no cure for tinnitus because that just sends everyone into a hyper-excited state. And what is needed is to calm, settle and soothe the nervous system and tinnitus will cured. I think this is just another version of TRT and what Cowan Hill calls cure, we would call habituation.

Anyway, I'm thinking about what to post. I don't want to start a long dragged out argument with them because this is not about Julian Cowan Hill or Mike Barker or Sean H, it's about you and your story and how you are managing with tinnitus. I would be happy however if re-inforcements showed up, because I don't know how many Mike Barkers there are.

Plus just who is being negative here? Criticism is not exactly positive, it's disapproval. And, rather than finding the good in your story, they are looking for ways to be negative.

TC

• Like Like x 1
    12. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jazzer @Agrajag364 @annV @Bam @david c @Ed209 @Jack Straw @JohnAdams @Starthrower

If you can spare the time, could you please go to YouTube and leave a comment on Dave's Story?

I left a general comment and also one in reply to a Mr. Micheal Barker who seems to be a follower of Julian Cowan Hill and who found Dave's video to be a negative story.

I don't know a lot about Julian Cowan Hill's methods but did see he posted a video response to Prof Rauschecker's TED Talk a while back saying that Rauschecker should not say there's no cure for tinnitus. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to manipulate the world to suit one's narrow views. My impression is that his methods are some form of TRT leading to habituation.

Thanks much,
      TC

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Dear Tuxedo - Thank you so much for coming out and standing beside me on this.
      As you know better than anybody, I struggled with being able to go ahead with it, but as I couldn’t see any videos up there by sufferers who felt able to tell the truth, I was determined to do it.
      In the event, I felt that we reached a balance between severity of this condition, and a way forward, using meditation and other psychological support.

For the past week I have felt quite alone up there, with criticism coming at me, and plenty of nonsensical claims regarding ‘thousands of sufferers being cured by Julian Cowan Hill’s methods.’
      (Obviously fiction.)
      I was most particularly criticised for my negativity.
      I told the truth.
      Telling the truth is never negative.
      If we are ever to come up with a true cure for this thing we have to start with reality.

However, if any other members feel inclined to support me I will be very grateful.

Bless your heart Tuxedo,

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Bam

Bam Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I went on YouTube and couldn’t even find the comments section..... I’m a bit clueless sometimes.

15. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      Julian Cowan Hill.....Sadly he’s untouchable. If you criticise him you’re angry and resentful and that’s why you can’t ‘release’ and let go of your tinnitus. And people buy his shit even though there are calm and very relaxed people who have had ringing ears for 40 years.

None of his crap stacks up. And yet he’s fucking cleverly created a victim shaming defence where your negativity is the reason for your tinnitus. And attacking or even refuting his claims only reinforces his mantra. He’s a dangerous man for severe sufferers and only further isolates and disengages us from support. I would go so far as to say this man has contributed to multiple tinnitus suicides in respect of people feeling absolutely desperate that they cannot adhere to his preaching and ‘let go’ of their tinnitus.

Of course he would blame me for my negativity.......I of course would say fuck you Julian because I’m......well.....I’m Bam.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      We need a @Bam on YouTube to counter fuckers like Julian Cowan Hill.

It's a shame Bam is too insecure to show his face and make videos for social networks :( :( :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bam

Did you find the comment section?

It never ceases to amaze me how screwed up tinnitus is. Everywhere you turn there's a convoluted path of bull shit and someone out to manipulate the situation to promote their own agenda.

Totally unbelievable.

Mother Nature must have had PMS the day she created tinnitus.

Tuxedo

• Like Like x 1
    18. Bam

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/stress
      I have waded in to the debate my friend. Don’t sweat it. Those of us with severe tinnitus understand. ‘Chilling out’ does not cure tinnitus.......And only a fuckwit would say it does.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sure, could you link to it again?

20. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Can you link me to the video?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bam - You are never less than ‘SPOT ON’ my friend.
      Victim shaming eh.
      He earns a fortune with his avuncular manner, gentle approach etc... as he dishes up his tripe that leaves sufferers in despair, as there is no way that they can match up to his ‘grid system’ success ladder.
      His book is full of ‘be loving and kind to yourself’ psychobabble.
      Have you read his very slim (highly priced) masterpiece.
      “Tinnitus - from Tyrant to Friend?”
      And what a nauseatingly clever sales pitch that title is?

I love your insights buddy, and your foul mouth!
      (Mind you - it probably doesn’t go down that well in the Brighton area!)

Best to you my mate
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Bam is very gifted verbally so I hope he does but he has to look after himself too and make the right choice for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Ann I have to say - you look a bit like my old Sunday school teacher - but there are some subtle differences in vocabulary.......((hahaha)xx

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      Thanks again BAM for articulating the details about Julian Cowan Hill that characterize him as an unscrupulous, opportunistic, shameless quack.
      I knew he was very suspicious when he said that this condition should be regarded as no different from the sensation of feeling your feet in your socks. Anyone who would make such a stupefying, inappropriate analogy between the unbearably painful sensation of tinnitus and the very pleasant sensation of feeling your socks calls into question whether he ever actually had this condition.

His automatic fallback alibi is that it must necessarily be your inability to internalize his instructions if you are prevented from achieving a successful outcome. Essentially, such a failure must inevitably be due to your character defects, shortcomings, stunted inability to release negativity and "the stuff inside you." This is insulting in the extreme; how dare he have the audacity to lay the sole responsibility for this failure as a guilt trip on anyone who reports no improvement.
      In fact, he initially presents an unconditionally empathic front, but is thrown into a snarling rage when even the slightest portion of his commentary is challenged.

He appears as an insufferably ludicrous know-it-all when he implies that he knows more about the functioning of the components of the brain than does an internationally renowned neuroscientist like Dr. Rauschecker.

In his latest video he raises the ante of delusional self-satisfied regard by stating that people have reported to him that their tinnitus has been reduced just by hearing the sound of his voice.
      You finally have to wonder about someone's mental state who would so timorously parrot forth the most amateurish, pseudoscientific nonsense in 148(!) videos. (And remember, during his very first video he was so clueless that there was a very loud sabre saw running next door when he was giving instructions about achieving total silence).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    26. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Done!

Although I was in the middle of cooking and kids running around and husband asking me for "wood glue" (really?) ...ugh....lol...(juggling as usual) I managed to post a little something.

@TuxedoCat , I am your fan! :)
      @Jazzer {{Big Hug}}}

Lots of love. :) (@glynis much love to you too!)

Once

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you so much Once,
      your support means so much to me,

Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The kitchen is always the center of activity and it makes me laugh how husbands always assume their wives know where everything is. One time I asked my husband why he should think that way, his reply was "because you're the mom and are supposed to know that." Add a new line to the job description for a Mom!

Thanks Once, we appreciate your support-
      TC

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My husband has no clue where anything is in this house!...lol Grrrrr

I mean, why would I know where HIS wood glue is...lol.

You are very welcome.
      I'm happy to help in whatever possible.

Once

• Hug Hug x 2
    30. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Yep. I have to hide the hammer. He thinks hitting it will fix it. Um...no. Case in point a leaky bathroom faucet. We had to replace all the fixtures because the part "hit" was no longer available.:banghead:

Glad you are here also @OnceUponaTime!!

• Funny Funny x 2