Volume or Perception?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TinniTom, Jul 28, 2016.

1. TinniTom
      No Mood

TinniTom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very loud disco night
      Hi!

What do you think: Is Tinnitus getting louder from time to time or is it just our perception why it feels louder sometimes.

Although I have it for about 20 years I'm not sure about that.

TinniTom

• Like Like x 1
    2. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      As someone with intermittent tinnitus, I can say its definitely both.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      My opinion is tinnitus volume always is about perception. There is no sound generator inside your head, turning the volume up and down. And audiologists talk about how loud patients "perceive" their tinnitus. It's your brain and neurological system reacting the same way it does regarding phantom limb pain, when pain sensations are generated even when no limb exists.

Not that it really matters. When your tinnitus is loud -- whether its loud because you are perceiving it that way or its due to actual volume -- its damn debilitating.
      And again, this is my opinion. This has been discussed before and certainly not everyone agrees with me.

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      It's certainly a contentious issue. Always brings out a few opinions.

I can attest to both sides of the argument. I will not notice it whilst I'm concentrating deeply on something and when I do I know that it sounds louder because of the perception.

Equally I can get louder tinnitus that grows (or you could say spikes) because of something - like this week I had a long drive, early start and little sleep. It went right up in volume and it takes a day or two to settle back down again.

As tinnitus is a very personal experience it's often difficult to say anything for sure, things are often different for different people. Actually, as I sit typing mine just changed in pitch and volume, for about 10 seconds before it settled back to the previous level again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mine goes away completely for whole days sometimes. this can't be perception; as it's still new to me rather than enjoy those days I fear its return and constantly check for it.

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      That is the worst thing you can do (I guess you know this though). You shouldn't check for it ever. All you achieve by doing this is to train your brain to look for it. I'm convinced that if I didn't do that myself in the early days I wouldn't be where I am now.

You really need to avoid negative association wherever possible. Train yourself in the opposite, ignoring it (great advice coming from a failure in that department :)).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'd say it's both. If it were entirely perception people wouldn't be able to completely mask their tinnitus to the point where they could not hear it even if they are looking for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's a compulsion really. To be fair, I've done a LOT better about just enjoying the days off lately. I do use ACRN even if I'm feeling good at work though - I can plug my ears to find the tone and "tune" it. I posted in the positivity thread about this today.

9. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My T doesn't fluctuate a lot but it does so every day, mornings slightly lower (but never low) and build through the day. Same thing day in day out. The more noise I encounter through out the day, the louder the T by the evening. It's not my imagination, it's too routine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I am not sure ;)

11. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      up :)

A very important question!
      Maybe a key-question for many sufferers.
      Maybe a key-question concerning habituation.