Volunteering

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Georgia, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys wanted to ask a question, I have started the duke of Edinburgh and I need to do some volunteer work I've already started volunteering some where but an idea just struck me, maybe I could volunteer for a tinnitus helpline It would be something I would enjoy and really learn from plus I know a lot about dealing with tinnitus but I'm not sure if I'd be allowed because I'm only 15 and I'm not trained or anything.
      Does anyone here know anything about whether I would be allowed to do it or not?
      Thank you!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Georgia,

The only tinnitus helplines that I know of are sponsored by the American Tinnitus Association in the US, and the British Tinnitus Association in the UK. Here is a link to the BTA helpline:
      http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/contact-us

My suggestion would be to contact them, to see if they would allow you to volunteer.

I think it's a wonderful idea, and I hope you are able to volunteer for the BTA.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow, you're only 15 and you've been dealing with this since 2008? So you were like 8 when that happened? On the one hand I'm sorry to hear that, on the other hand, it seems like people who "get used to" this condition when they're pre-adolescent have a sort of advantage, just because your brain develops around the sound.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey guys sorry for late reply! I had a chance to call the BTA and they said they only accept volunteers at 16 and over but asked to put my name and stuff down for case study stories or Tinnitus interventions, I'll be 16 In about 7months so hopefully after my exams are finished in June and after my Dofe I will be able to start volunteering at the help lines, I just want to to do some thing you know, I like work experience but this would be more personal for me to be able to be there for people that don't really get understood, know how they feel and I don't want anyone with this to be alone, asking why did life do this, lots of other people just don't get it. it kind of frustrates me that they have to 'train' volunteers like when they talk to people like us we are mentally ill, the best people to talk to tinnitus sufferers are tinnitus survivors, I just remember talking to doctors and audiologists about it they don't get it, they can't see why it ruins lives, because they've never dealt with it to them its just something thats technically not dangerous so they don't have to worry about it.

thanks for your help XD