Warm Olive Oil Caused Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MonstercatMusic, Nov 12, 2017.

1. MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      So in my first post here, I explained how my tinnitus came on during an ear infection in both ears. I now remember the first instant I heard T was as I put some warm olive oil in the infected right ear. I failed to state this in my original post. I put cold olive oil in my other ear as that also ended up with a much less intense ear infection. I only get T in my left ear if I tense up my jaw. However I have persistent T in the ear I put warm olive oil in, but that ear also happened to have the worst ear infection ive ever experienced. I'm now confused on whether the oil caused the T or the infection. I'm hoping it's the infection as the T has better chance of fading. If it's the oil, it could have gotten behind the ear drum, although I doubt that itself would cause damage since there was fluid there anyway.

AHHHH idk what to think.

I have purposely ignored it for the last 2 months and am only now taking some action having released it could be permanent. Probably didn't help that I continued to listen to music (usually ok volume but sometimes a tad loud) while the ear still had fluid in it (bass in right ear sounded distorted and it was a different pitch). Too bad the one horse town I live in has one mediocre ENT. Having a hearing test soon and another appointment with the GP.

Yesterday I got a beating noise in my left ear, like an eardrum spasm. Wasn't associated with my heart beat but it has since gone. I have also started getting sudden T in my left ear where it will go quiet and have loud ringing and then subside. The constant T goes away at the same time for a split second. Sometimes I get crunchy noises in my ears when moving my jaw, and sometimes I feel a pressure change. Its strange as there was a period of 2 months where my ears didn't do anything abnormal except the persistent T.

I don't really have a question here, just want to know what people make of the random talk I just splat on this thread :p
      Thank You kind community

2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How warm was the oil? Above body temp?

More likely to be the infection I reckon

Was it an outer or middle ear infection?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MonstercatMusic
      Caffeine

MonstercatMusic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Middle Ear Infection
      The oil was a littlebit over body temp, a tad too warm but not burning or anything. I had a middle ear infection. I still find it strange that T started as soon as the oil went in if it is the infection.

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The odds of this being related are 10000000:1. You had an ear infection, now you have tinnitus, done.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I think mediocrity and ENTs go hand in hand generally. It seems to be for people who want to be doctors but don’t really want to do anything, including being compassionate. Having said that, not all are bad.

Anyway your experience is slightly similar to mine. I put in ear wax solution in my ears and it felt like it went in past the ear drums, like when you get water in your ears when swimming. Anyway my T just instantly turned on. Not sure if it’s because I kind of freaked out by the solution going in so far or if it’s from a bad reaction to it.

But you had an ear infection, which does seem to be the most likely cause. Hope yours goes away.