WARNING This Post Is NOT for People Looking for Support

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dubbyaman, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      This was an interesting watch. This poor guy had an unknown condition far worse than tinnitus. Don't know about hyperacusis though. Severe hyperacusis that is.

I have a mental illness, let me die - BBC Stories

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Dubbyaman

I feel very sorry for the young man concerned but disagree wholeheartedly with your statement: his condition is far worse than tinnitus. Tinnitus can be a seriously debilitating condition when it is severe. Unless you have experienced this then with respect, you are not in a position to "judge" what another person is going through because this is what you are doing.

Believe me, I have been there and know the depths tinnitus can take a person to. I was medically retired from my job because of it. Please think before you make comments about a condition that you don't know everything about. I have had tinnitus for 21 years, you have had it considerably less. When tinnitus is severe for a particular person and this level of intensity is sustained, it is comparable to any other acute medical condition, simply because of what it can do to that person's state of mind. Under these circumstances people have committed suicide.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Why is this an interesting watch and what is the reason for posting this?

Just curious...

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I believe it is an attempt to make some people think, their tinnitus or the problems that they are going through are not as severe as the young man in this video. If this was @Dubbyaman intention, whilst he might have been trying to do something good, it could be perceived by some to be insensitive and lacking the understanding of what some people go through with tinnitus. I think it would have been better, to write a post about his experiences with tinnitus and how he copes with it. Hopefully people would take inspiration and perhaps try some of is ideas and suggestions that could make their life easier.

Michael

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @Michael Leigh Hi Michael. I was not judging this man at all. I was just posting this to share with others. In fact I was doing the opposite. I am sympathetic to this man and understand his choice. Do I agree with it? No but it is sad when suicide seems like the only way out.

I have tinnitus very badly in my left ear. It is 3 years this month. Nothing masks it. I hear it over everything. In that 3 years time, I have become very debilitated by it so yes I actually agree with what you said on how it can be as bad as other medical conditions. Poor choice of words on my part.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Dubbyaman I think you misunderstood me. I know you were not judging the gentleman in question so lets leave it at that. Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with the tinnitus. Try and see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for treatment and management of tinnitus.

Best of luck
      Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @Michael Leigh Like you probably know since you've been in the trenches with this for 2 decades, nothing helps it except altering the way you react (in my case anyways) What does your noise sound like? How loud? Mine is different everyday from high pitch sirens, cicadas, chirping. Its around 50 to 60 db in loudness.

8. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I watched this a short while ago and I felt sorry that he was forced to die alone, with no family members around him, or any people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. P T Daly

P T Daly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Always had it. Got much worse recently.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown.
      It is inconceivable how the society doesn't allow you to decide your own death in peaceful terms.

• Agree Agree x 5
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Dubbyaman

My tinnitus fluctuates in intensity from: silent mild, moderate and severe. It no longer reaches extreme severe levels that would last for days. I take clonazepman when it severe and had to take it yesterday, as the tinnitus was quite intense. The last time I took clonazepam was over 4 weeks ago so it's something that I'm pleased about. It has now reduced to a very low level. The tinnitus is a high pitched hissing and it's bilateral and in the middle of my head. It has improved since it got worse in 2008.

I noticed that you have noise induced tinnitus. If yours is getting worse or you haven't noticed any improvement, consider seeing a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist. Do you use headphones for listening to music or playing video games? If you do this could be contributing to your tinnitus not improving and sometimes headphones can make tinnitus worse, for some people with "noise induced" tinnitus. It is something to think about.

All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 2
    11. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Actually these kind of stories of other people's suffering helps me a great deal in coping with tinnitus. I have also read up on stories from people who have cluster headaches which is called the "suicide headache" because it is so incredibly painful and it really puts perspective on your own condition....It helps me when I hit rock bottom so read of others who suffer even worse, then I think to myself "I am kind of lucky/I am not THAT bad" It makes me feel grateful for my life and what I am capable of despite of tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Then again, I don't have severe tinnitus, and I have no doubt that severe tinnitus is mentally painful in a whole other way then my somewhat mild tinnitus. But I do have a long history of general anxiety and depression.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I understand, My mom's friend has a son that has cluster headaches, he is often in so much pain that he is rubbing his hands together until it starts bleeding just to distract from the headaches.. Makes me realise that some people have it much worse and it helps me a great deal to cope better. Even though it's ofcourse awful for that person.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes exactly. I do feel a little bad for making myself feel better by other people's suffering, but it just puts things into perspective. T can be really horrific but there are many conditions out there that are even worse and that makes me grateful

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think perspective and empathy are important. Even if our suffering is great, there is value in realizing that others suffer too.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    15. Lynne78

Lynne78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or ETD issues
      I live in the Neterlands. And there is a beter law here. If you are mentaly ill and suffering and there is no chance of getting beter. You can ask for euthanasia. But there are strickt rules.
      A few months ago. A woman of 46 with T and H and 2 children got euthanasia for this reason.

16. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Dying peacefully does need to be an option, we are selfishly brought into this world and selflessly forced to live it, no matter how much pain we feel.

Never say someone suffering is far worse than anothers. Yours may not be. He looks positively happy compared to myself.

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I agree 100%.

You can't judge a person's suffering by how they appear, not always.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. danieluk
      Scared

danieluk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know that only too well.

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You just said "He looks positively happy compared to myself.".

• Like Like x 1
    20. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      WOW! I am speechless. Life is so cruel.....

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise