Ways Tinnitus Has Improved My Life

Discussion in 'Support' started by volsung37, Apr 30, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Since I have had tinnitus I have never felt physically better. I walk 3 miles a day, eat healthily, juice and drink a bit less alcohol.
      It has also helped my addiction. Over the last 20 years or so I have lost literally hundreds of thousands of pounds gambling - poker, horses, stocks and shares you name it. I could have been mortgage free two years ago. Now I'll be paying a mortgage into my dotage.
      As I don't gamble much now at all I am much more financially secure and my partner is not a poker widow.
      Perhaps tinnitus has filled a bit of that void in my life as I no longer have the compulsion to gamble endlessly.
      I used to binge drink at weekends and lie in bed most of the weekend. Now my tinnitus won't let me lie on in that quiet room so much so I get up and do something. I'm lucky I live near a busy motorway (I never EVER thought I would write those words!) so if I'm out in the garden or in a local park my t is masked and I only hear a bit of hiss.
      Tinnitus put the fear of God into me (not literally as I'm an agnostic). I was sleeping my life away putting everything off until this or that happened. I was stuck.
      Don't get me wrong I still have bad days and the constant squeal of tinnitus during the night has led me to some very dark thoughts but if you excuse the pun tinnitus has woken me up.
      I still hope that one day my t will disappear but until then I'll explore each day one at a time.
      I would recommend any sufferer to read two books - Julian Cowan-Hills 'Tinnitus - from Tyrant to Friend' and 'Get out of your Mind and into your Life' by Steven C. Hayes. Both these guys have had tinnitus and indeed still have it to some extent but it no longer rules their lives.
      Would love to hear others positive experiences.

• Like Like x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      volsung37,
      I'm glad tiinnitus helped you get your life back on track and nice read a positive post.
      I will mention the books to the Tinnitus Support group members.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well...it has forced me to deal with some deep seeded issues that I put off for a while and in the past dealt with in not so healthy ways. Things like major anxiety. Now I am in therapy and am literally forced to deal with it as I know that is one of the major keys to getting through this tinnitus. In the past I could go to therapy for anxiety and past issues only to get distracted and deal with it until the next crisis came along. The T doesn't go away though.

4. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I haven't been brave enough to face my other problems with therapy as you have. But I will in the next few weeks. I really believe that this tinnitus can teach us something really important if we let it. Still it would be lovely to learn the lessons and not hear the bloody noise. But that may happen. Everything in this world is temporary. That is both our greatest pain and our greatest hope.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jamie m
      Loved

Jamie m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Ever since getting this, I don't freak out about the little things anymore, I value my family and friends more and I have been more connected with God. I cracked my iPhone the other day.... And I don't care one bit. The old Jamie would be freaking out... Eh who cares.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    6. Starthrower

Starthrower Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This topic compelled my interest to reply.
      I have been reading Tinnitus Talk but only just started getting involved here.

It has been SO long I forgot how tinnitus improved my life. One issue comes to mind. The people I have met over the past 14 years that I would never crossed paths with - who greatly influenced my choices in life going forward.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      My life before tinnitus. Rich, creative, productive, forfilling, fun, energetic, healthy, fun, (I forgot, I mentioned fun already.) carefree, peaceful, helpful, social, beautiful, faithful, enlightened, contemplative, mysterious, hopeful, wishful, youthful, whimsical, serious, businesslike, playful, fun, (sorry!) intense, busy, soleful, imaginative, boyish, manly, fun, (again?) forward looking, designing, sporty, fortunate, blessed, limitless, abundant, well planned, indestructible, perfection!

My life with tinnitus..............gone!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. InfiniteLoop
      Sunshine

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure. Very high frequency hearing loss (>8KHz)
      Learning how to face adversity in the hardest possible way.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      I stopped smoking bc I got T.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AndreaM