Weather Worsens Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rachel1018, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Rachel1018

Rachel1018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had major surgery in December 2015 to resolve my pulsatile tinnitus and migraines.

It worked for the most part, but the past week or so I have been hearing loud pulsations throughout the days.

The last couple of days I have also had a constant headache. The weather here in Wisconsin has changed from 80s to low 70s/upper 60s. I'm hoping my pulsatile tinnitus and headache will go away soon and that it's just weather related.

Does anyone else experience this? Can it be related to weather change?

2. Scared111

Scared111 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What kind of surgery did you have to resolve the pusaltile tinnitus? What was the cause? if it's blood vessel related, I don't understand how weather could influence it.

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, and have noticed that changes in barometric pressure do seem to influence it. I don't know why!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rachel1018

Rachel1018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a middle fossa craniotomy because the millions of scans/images I had done all showed that I was missing a bone structure between my left ear and brain. They also found a hole in the outer layer of my brain during surgery causing a CSF leak so they patched that too (they said it was the source of my migraines). Since surgery I haven't heard the tinnitus hardly at all, but it back in full force all of a sudden accompanied by headaches

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Kady

Kady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Rachel1018 what type of doctor diagnosed this? Neurologist or ENT? Through one of my many scans they did say I have a “thin” mastoid bone. All other scans/tests have come back normal. Thanks! I also notice when the weather changes/it’s about to rain or is raining my pulsatile tinnitus is worse!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. mchellie

mchellie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I notice that my PT is worse when the barometric pressure is bad (like I had severe symptoms this week when the remnants of hurricane Nate came through; I live in Mississippi) & today I have only had 1 mild episode along with the constant tinnitus symptoms (yesterday the weather was extremely humid here and today it is cool & very little humidity).

7. Nicole C

Nicole C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ear Infection
      I, too, have noticed that when the barometric pressure changes, my PT changes as well. I can always tell when it's going to rain or storm. I get severe facial pressure, headache, and my PT goes insane.

8. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      I find that cold fronts, warm fronts, and humidity trigger a migraine followed by extremely loud PT. My migraines can last for a month. I have a rescue medicine and have seen a neurologist. My hearing aides are supposed to help mask the PT but there is little difference. I have moderate hearing loss. (Need CC on the TV).

9. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have noticed that my PT and T are both worse when there are changes in barometric pressure. I don't get headaches, but my tinnitus and pulsating are always worse at those times.

I've tried using hearing aids (30-day free trial), but they seemed to amplify my pulsating, so I did not purchase any aids.