Weed-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Santhosh, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss,weed,In-ear headphones,Loud music
      I had a really bad trip (Tinnitus+Derealization+Panic Attacks+Anxiety) by smoking weed before two months.

Since then I've started getting flashbacks which induced tinnitus occasionally but it would eventually fade away after a day.

But from last week I've started developing this constant never fading high pitch tone which sounds very similar to an aircraft engine. I've consulted my ENT, done my pure tone audiometry which she prescribed and the results are indicating that I am suffering from mild sensorineural hearing loss (PTA: 28.30). I've barely smoked weed in my life (maybe 7 or 8 times at maximum) and I've never done any drugs other than weed. As of now I am suffering from anxiety, depression and panic attacks due to tinnitus.

Has weed really damaged my sensory organ & brain responses?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Any drug or medication that works on the brain can cause or spike tinnitus.
      Tinnitus is caused by a lot of things and for some people is tempory and some people not so lucky.
      I would keep off the weed and see if your tinnitus fades over the next few weeks...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Hello Santhosh,

Marijuana is known as a drug that heightens your sensory systems and with several studies indicating that the ringing you hear is coming from your auditory system and much more, then it makes "sense", no pun intended, that you are able distinguish the sound much more. Your auditory system was heightened or in other words, the nerves and neurons that make up the neurotransmissions that take place with our hearing, were affected.

In my own words, I believe tinnitus is in relation to a "hidden hearing loss". Basically, noises from everyday life, headphones, concerts, etc. cause damaging changes to our ability to process noises while other sounds are going on. Practitioners in the hearing field call this "presbycusis" and it usually is associated with the elderly and usually they are told they have damaged hair cells that are causing them to not be able to process sound as well in noisy environments. They are then prescribed hearing aids and after forking over a large amount of money, the hearing aids some-what solve their issue. My grandpa for an example, still has issues processing what's being said to him in a noisy environment even with his hearing aids in. There is a hidden issue that's not being looked at.

An article from Johns Hopkins Medicine, posted about a year ago, explaining that we lose so called "in-going nerves" of the auditory nerve and that they are overtime, replaced by "out-going nerves" that don't allow us to "hear" as well. But my point in how this relates to you Santhosh, is that you most likely have hidden damaged areas of your in-going auditory nerves. The neurons that make up the auditory nerve and allow you to feel emotions from sounds and hear those frequencies in a much more clearer and louder manner. Important nuerotransmitting neuronal disconnections between the brain and the inner ear. These connections that have been lost were and are SO important to your brain that you still "hear" ringing from these locations where the neurons should be. That's why a lot of people on this site complain about their "Tinnitus" "spiking" when they become more stressed out from work, family, friends, etc.

In the end, introducing marijuana to your brain caused your senses to be heightened, the sensory inputs of your auditory system that were not connected to your inner ear (like in your past years) caused these areas of the brain to be used more intensely. Therefore, your ringing was much more audible in your brain.

Let me know what you think.

Johns Hopkins Medicine link - A Likely New Contributor to age-related Hearing Loss: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...y_new_contributor_to_age_related_hearing_loss

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hey Santosh,

I have derealization too. You are very early in with tinnitus so it might vanish or reduce a lot. Not sure if the weed caused it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Nick this is really mind awakening.

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am also thinking the same after reading Nick's comment on hearing loss and tinnitus and I guess I would find out the real cause of my tinnitus in upcoming days. All the best for your recovery!

7. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      I live in a state that has recognized the benefits of medical marijuana and have legalized it for that purpose... I partake daily for severe arthritis in my shoulder... It does spike my tinnitus but considering my regular "high pitch" tinnitus, it's a small step up but temporary...

• Like Like x 1
    8. LaneH5

LaneH5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Weed
      I experienced this same thing. About 5 months ago. Got too stoned one night. Freaked out. Ringing in ears. Thought I was going crazy. Woke up the next day just fine. Was fine for a month or 2. And then boom. One night it all hit me again. But this time I wasn’t high. Now I have ringing in ears and panic / anxiety. It’s been with me for the last 5 months now. Just want to feel better.

Did it ever get better for you?