Weed-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Santhosh, Jun 5, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss,weed,In-ear headphones,Loud music
      I had my real bad trip(Tinnitus+Derealization+Panic attack+Anxiety) by smoking weed before two months, Since then i've started getting flashbacks which induced tinnitus occasionally but it will eventually fade away after a day, But from last week i've started developing this constant never fading high pitch tone which sounds very similar to an aircraft engine. I've consulted my ENT, Done my pure tone audiometry as she prescribed and the result are indicating that i am suffering from Mild sensorineural hearing loss(PTA : 28.30). I've barely smoked weed in my life (may be 7 or 8 times at maximum) and i've never done any drugs other than weed. As of now i am suffering from anxiety,depression and panic attacks due to tinnitus.

Is weed really damaged my sensory organ&brain responses?

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Any drug or medication that works on the brain can cause or spike tinnitus.
      Tinnitus is caused by a lot of things and for some people is tempory and some people not so lucky.
      I would keep off the weed and see if your tinnitus fades over the next few weeks...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Hello Santhosh,

Marijuana is known as a drug that heightens your sensory systems and with several studies indicating that the ringing you hear is coming from your auditory system and much more, then it makes "sense", no pun intended, that you are able distinguish the sound much more. Your auditory system was heightened or in other words, the nerves and neurons that make up the neurotransmissions that take place with our hearing, were affected.

In my own words, I believe tinnitus is in relation to a "hidden hearing loss". Basically, noises from everyday life, headphones, concerts, etc. cause damaging changes to our ability to process noises while other sounds are going on. Practitioners in the hearing field call this "presbycusis" and it usually is associated with the elderly and usually they are told they have damaged hair cells that are causing them to not be able to process sound as well in noisy environments. They are then prescribed hearing aids and after forking over a large amount of money, the hearing aids some-what solve their issue. My grandpa for an example, still has issues processing what's being said to him in a noisy environment even with his hearing aids in. There is a hidden issue that's not being looked at.

An article from Johns Hopkins Medicine, posted about a year ago, explaining that we lose so called "in-going nerves" of the auditory nerve and that they are overtime, replaced by "out-going nerves" that don't allow us to "hear" as well. But my point in how this relates to you Santhosh, is that you most likely have hidden damaged areas of your in-going auditory nerves. The neurons that make up the auditory nerve and allow you to feel emotions from sounds and hear those frequencies in a much more clearer and louder manner. Important nuerotransmitting neuronal disconnections between the brain and the inner ear. These connections that have been lost were and are SO important to your brain that you still "hear" ringing from these locations where the neurons should be. That's why a lot of people on this site complain about their "Tinnitus" "spiking" when they become more stressed out from work, family, friends, etc.

In the end, introducing marijuana to your brain caused your senses to be heightened, the sensory inputs of your auditory system that were not connected to your inner ear (like in your past years) caused these areas of the brain to be used more intensely. Therefore, your ringing was much more audible in your brain.

Let me know what you think.

Johns Hopkins Medicine link - A Likely New Contributor to age-related Hearing Loss: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...y_new_contributor_to_age_related_hearing_loss

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hey santosh,

I have derealization too. You are very early in with T so It might vanish or reduce a lot. Not sure if the weed caused it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you Nick this is really mind awakening.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am also thinking the same after reading Nick's comment on hearing loss and tinnitus and I guess I would find out the real cause of my T in upcoming days. All the best for your recovery!

7. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      I live in a state that has recognized the benefits of medical marijuana and have legalized it for that purpose...I partake daily for severe arthritis in my shoulder...it does spike my T but considering my regular "high pitch" T, it's a small step up but temporary...

• Like Like x 1
    8. Larry (Fish Man)

Larry (Fish Man) Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Running bass boats guiding/ In my welding shop
      At age 72 or close tinnitus showed up about five years ago and has made itself at home. I understand all that has been said here about it and that different things and med's run it up but what I have not figured out is on my day off I might relax and catch a quick nap wake up and tinnitus level has gone back from about 4-5 on 10 scale to 10 for what seems like no reason. It does not panic me any more but I wish it would stay down. If it gets way bad Xanax .25mg or .05 if real bad will allow me to sleep and at times the tinnitus is down for days after that. I wear hearing aids due to some hearing loss and have read all kind of info on tinnitus but have not been able to make it stay gone. I know for a fact that different type drugs for sinus or colds will run it up so not much can be done if those are needed just hope one day they can find a way to at least keep it down. If as stated you get busy doing things you do not allow it to over shadow your day but then come rest time and there it is again. One fact that I tell my self is that it will not kill me and then just go on best I can. Hope all of you the best in dealing with tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Gregcool2208

Gregcool2208 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs
      Hi there..my anxiety/depresion/panic attacks/phobias also came on after smoking week 30 years ago.i smoked it for about 6 months then one day,bang.i was in a world of mental health and it lasted for about 5 years solid.and developed severe tinnitus which iv had ever since.nearly 30 years now..it sucks...hope you get some help for it all.greg

• Like Like x 1
    10. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

All i can say is the ones advocating that tinnitus and marijuana is somehow connected only have anectotal evidence. I mean you probably drank coffee before your tinnitus- therefore it is the blame? I have long history with cannabis, 10+ years. And my tinnitus faded, now years later also hyperacusis(thanks to LLLT). I am not contributing it to cannabis rather than the time and lifestyle (healthy+ supplements) ..and protecting my self. Cannabis i'm using for my depression daily. Maybe you are not aware but if they had any connection you would not believe how many sufferers there would be, if you could imagine the magnitude of amount of cannabis users out there. One tip: only vaporize!

• Like Like x 1
    11. TinnitusJeff

TinnitusJeff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Started November 2015 - out of no where.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss is what doc says
      To the author - see rainman's comment. My comment would be very similar to his.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I think medical marijuana is more synthesized in order to get approval from FDA? correct me if i am wrong! In my country Marijuana in any form is considered as an illegal drug.

13. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I agree with some of your points, But still drinking coffee doesn't induce any psychosis as weed does! It might have cleared your depression but in my case its different and I am still researching to find out some real source which directly relates tinnitus and weed.

14. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Hi greg, I am getting better in shape recently. But still couldn't get ridoff my T. Do you really think that weed is the sole reason which induced your tinnitus?

15. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      No this a state law and the FDA is not involved...the marijuana is grown by state approved growers and is the finest available anywhere

16. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

you are wrong, i guess you have no real idea about how cannabis is produced, yet you make some anectotal misconceptions. Funny stuff.

17. Oli
      Alone

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sonor Trauma
      In my opinion weed cant induce tinnitus directly but it can trigger anxiety problem just from one session if you have a prevalence!
      Then anxiety/stress can do damage to your auditory system and give you tinnitus as a result

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. Santhosh
      Cool

Santhosh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No i did't make any misconceptions here, I am just clarifying my doubts,

If that sounds funny, you can ignore it!

• Like Like x 1
    19. Aaron F.

Aaron F. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      It seems like this thread is talking about THC-dominant weed but what about CBD-dominant weed? Have any of you taken that and if so how has it affected your T?

20. Iwan K

Iwan K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15 March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety ?
      Have you experienced Visual Snow ? It often accompanies Tinnitus and Anxiety disoders