Well I Have Seen an ENT and Here Is the Conclusion: I Have Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by zenxpowert, Jan 20, 2016.

1. zenxpowert
      Fine

zenxpowert Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/4/2016
      I went today see a ENT, and it has been confirmed that i have Hyperacusis, which turns out to be a hypersensitivity of the ears (both ears sadly) of everyday sounds, Thanksfuly! This is something that time deals with and it seems like the hyperacusis is the reason i developed a "Tinnitus" Of about 15 000 hz, so i guess i have to wait.

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      How does hyperacusis cause tinnitus?

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      An Audiologist could probably have told you that for half the price, or one of us for nothing.

4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      Don't make him feel too wonderful now;).

When I was new to understanding this stuff, hearing it from an ENT who had come highly recommended, and had been in practice for 25 years gave me a great deal of extra comfort. He told me about how many other cases he's dealt with like mine and somewhat different from mine and answered all my questions. I do freely admit that there wasn't much I heard there that I couldn't also hear here as well. But when a person is undergoing a crisis, like most newbies are, they aren't in the best state of mind to judge from the opinions and info on here which is good and relevant and which isn't; and a good ENT can distill all the best and most relevant info to tailor the person, again giving extra much-needed consolation(of course none of this applies if you visit an ENT that dismisses you and pushes you out the door).

@zenxpowert
      I don't know what-all he told you, but I hope he answered your questions, gave you some practical advice on the way forward, and a even a little consolation.
      Oh, yeah, and welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      My ENT said me, hyperacusis & T are linked in the brain. Emergency treatment is taking corticoid + AED (small dosage) and taking AED is useful contrary to drugs for the blood...That's a good thing if you have made an audiogram on high frequencies !

6. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Bingo.

• Agree Agree x 1