Went to My First ENT and So Far Not Impressed with His First Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sylvain, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Recal of events:

End of Feb I caught a cold/flu. One night coming back home from work my right ear suddenly closes up as I park my car. I easily lost 50% of my hearing. I didn't take it too well and freaked out a bit.

In the first 3 weeks of this happening I tried alot of different things:

- unclog my ear (various known methods)
      - steam
      - warm compress
      - ear drops for inflammation
      - olive oil ear drop
      - xlear nasal spray
      - ear wax cleaning kit
      - nasacort
      - hydrasense
      - antibiotics
      - Magnesium, B12 supplements
      - etc.

In early March the hearing gradually came back but I realized that something was still very wrong. While simply walking, jogging and going over small bumps on the road while driving my car my ear would click often. Sometimes in both ears but mostly in my right ear. If I purposely swallow my ears would pop/crack. If I pull the skin around my right ear in various directions I can actually manage to make my ear click. Its extremely frustrating as this clicking sound happens 90-95% of the time..

I also purchased the Eustachi Tube Exerciser but unsure if this actually makes things worse or not. I tried it a few times and my left and right ear would pop (to a certain extent) but I get a weird woosh/crackle/pop sound from my right ear and doesn't seem to have the same open/close popping sound you get with the left ear.

Fast forward 3 weeks later and nothing has improved.

I met my first ENT this week and his quick diagnosis is that he can't see anything wrong so far. He only used his otoscope to pear into both ears. I explained to him everything that happened and everything I tried.

I've been reading up alot on ear issues and I'm starting to wonder if I have any of the following issues:

- Tinnitus
      - ETD (eustachian tube dysfunction)
      - TTTS (Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome)
      - Middle ear myoclonus
      - Other inner ear muscle spasms
      - Damage to cochlea hair cells
      - Other?

When I mentioned this to my ENT he said I'm reading way too much on the web. Oh really?

He told me that the next step would be to do an audiogram. huh?

Correct me if i'm wrong but to me doing an audiogram seems worthless. Its not an hearing issue. Or does an audiogram actually detect other hidden issues listed above?

If not what is my next step or exam that I should do? or should I already give up with ENTs?

I scheduled an appointment with a different ENT in 2 weeks.

From the stories I read here seeing 3-4 ENTs doesn't really help and that they don't really know what to do.

So I assume the only thing I can do is to hope the issue disappears on its own and can take months or years or worse can be permanent? :(

Thanks
      Sylvain

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sylvain ,
      ENT should check your hearing and do a routine MRI if needed then they can advise you see an Audiologist whom can offer CBT or hearing aids or white noise generators if needed.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks glynis! I'll do the audiogram and then ask for an MRI. Small steps. Nothing will be resolved overnight.
      Sylvain

• Like Like x 1
    4. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      I'm very surprised your ENT didn't send you for an audiogram and tympanogram. The former can give valuable clues as to whether it is a middle ear problem or cochlear problem and the latter is the gold standard for checking any middle ear/Eustachian tube dysfunction.

As for ENTs not knowing what to do; with respect, this is a bit of a sweeping and stereotypical statement. There are some very good ENTs out there who wouldn't hesitate in sending you for proper investigation - perhaps you need to find a new ENT for a second opionion

It is possible you have fluid in the middle ear but with the limited information to hand, it is impossible to say. I assume the issue isn't as simple as occluding wax....?

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi dingaling,

The first appointment took 5 mins. They couldn't do any tests on the same day (disappointed) so my ENT scheduled me for an audiogram in 3 weeks and he told me they will check the pressure of the eardrums as well so is this the tympanogram you are referring to? if not I will ask him next time.

I also scheduled an appointment with another ENT to get a 2nd opinion in 2 weeks. I already have good info to take back from you and glynis. I appreciate it. I guess you're right that its too early to form a stereotypical opinion. I just want these tests done and not just look in an ear and get a "looks fine to me" answer.

Thanks
      Sylvain

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Glad to read you will get the audiogram. It is a normal test for our issues and usually the first question any other doctor will ask. Keep a file and copy of all tests in your possession in a folder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks Starthrower. I wish the ENT would of explained this to me.

8. dingaling
      Asleep

dingaling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably loud music
      Yes, this is what the tympanogram does. Good luck with your tests and do feel free to post your results should your symptoms not go away.

• Like Like x 1
    9. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      The audiogram and tympanogram tests are pretty thorough and can give you lots of valuable information. My first ENT sent me to them after he met with me and my second ENT did it first because I told them specifically why I was coming in. There is no standard there or makes anyone a bad ENT. As long as you get one done is what matters.

A good doctor will compare the results of the audiogram and tympanogram and tell you if you have hearing loss at all not to mention the generic health of your middle ear. The tests can also be predictors of tumors and lesions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Yeah, mine felt full and crackled when I would swallow and clicked like that too. I used the Eustachi and would swallow water when using it. Also fresh batteries. It slowly starting to "open up" and it is fine now. I think you will be fine but it is probably swelling in there and it takes a long time ( couple months) to clear.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks dayma this is good info. I wish my ENT would of told me this.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks jjflyman! Glad to see you also used Eustachi. How many times per day do you need to use it? and did you take anything else (meds, OTC, sprays, etc.) to help clear up your issue or just Eustachi?

I do it with the water swallow as well. But i only tried it maybe 10 times in the last 4 weeks. The sound it makes in the ear and tubes makes me worry its causing more harm than good which is why I haven't used it much.

Glad to hear your doing well! like many others here patience is needed.

Thanks
      Sylvain

13. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I think I used it about 3 times a day or so. It did not hurt my ears at all. I did not take anything else (meds), but the Eusatchi was the best $60 I ever spent. It started helping right away, and within a few days of using it my ears felt clearer .I tapered down to once a day after a while, then as needed. It still took many months before the were totally clear.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks for the info. I'll start using it 3 times a day and see how it goes. I heard alot of good comments on the Eustachi.

15. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Don’t worry about a dismissive ENT. They mostly seem to be like that, which is very odd. I wish I was paid a lot of money to say “don’t know looks fine” without actually really looking.

Yours sounds middle ear related, if you are getting clicking and temporary conductive hearing loss (as opposed to sensorineural). Means cochlear damage is unlikely in my opinion.

ETD, TTTS, could be the cause. Something to do with the tubes or middle ear muscles and/or bones.
      If there’s no ringing or sounds then it’s not tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi everyone. Here's my April 23rd update:
      • (new) constant ringing in ears started about 9 days ago :(
      • Still using OTC Nasacort nasal spray on a daily basis with the Eustachi Tube Exerciser
      • Still have difficulty opening up my right ear tube (I can open it if I blow hard enough but seems to close up). I can hear cracking and popping while blowing. I assume its still inflammed or has fluid. Now been 2 months
      • Ear clicking continues while walking, jumping or jogging (like a bicycle wheel clicking on a piece of cardboard)
      • Seeing a 2nd ENT this week

17. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sylvain If you end up getting an MRI make sure they give you double protection - quality rated earplugs and over the ear muffs.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks for the info Gman. Is this something the MRI technicians are supposed to do/know ? what happens if they don't (I assume this is dangerous?)

19. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, you know now. Just make sure you wear the double protection. MRIs are ridiculously loud.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks for the tip. Did you bring your own ear protection or they had their own?

21. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They should have them. But up to you if you want to use your own foam ear plugs with 32db NRR. They might expect you to use their muffs over the top - not sure. Cant have any with metal in them.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sylvain

Sylvain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Hi, here's my update so far..

In the last 6 weeks I've been to 2 ENT doctors, did multiple audiograms/eardrum pressure tests, cameras up the nose, ear checks, etc.

Audiograms, eardrums, etc are all coming back normal. ENT doc is saying I have ETD. My right ear is still randomly clicking/cracking all day/everyday since my cold in February.

For now he just put me on avamys nasal spray and hydrasense for the next several months........geez

Doesn't look good. Either I'm stuck with this or magically down the road it will stop. After 4 months I haven't seen the slightest improvement.