What’s More Protective? Ear Muffs or Ear Plugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I bought a pair of Walker’s ultra slim ear muffs and tested them out on moderate noise and they definitely work but I was thoroughly surprised at the difference between the ear muffs and the ear plugs.

I can actually hear people speak clearly in these while I can very hardly understand any conversation at all with foam ear plugs.

Are ear muffs when fitted properly similar to ear plugs with the same decibel rating or is one superior?

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      The main advantage of ear plugs is the level of protection they provide. Because they fit directly into the ear canal, ear plugs offer greater protection than ear muffs.

3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      plugs under muffs lol.

Yes I think plugs are awesome. Make sure though to plug your own ears when you are out and about, I always use my finger to press in on my ear when a truck drives by. Yes I know it's silly looking, but i don't really care. =P

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. HollowZer0
      Vegged out

HollowZer0 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure from power tool
      The way I see it is:

•Plugs pros = discreet, more decibel reduction, more comfortable(imo)

•Plugs cons = must be properly inserted to give the designed amount of dB reduction, hard to use with dirty fingers, can irritate ear canal(depending on person)

•Muffs pros = pretty much impossible to wear them incorrectly, super easy on/off, great for use with dirty hands(ie. in the woodshop), more comfortable for some

•Muffs cons = big and visible, slightly lower dB reduction

I think that’s all?!
      I use one or the other, depending on the situation. Social events and playing instruments with friends will be with plugs, whereas using the power drill in the shed, I’ll go for the muffs.
      Whenever I pick up the angle grinder that triggered my T a year ago, I use both plugs and muffs :D

5. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      My ear muffs defiantly block out more than every ear plug I have tried. And there are huge differences between good ear muffs and bad ear muffs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1