What Are My Legal Rights Having Tinnitus and Pain Hyperacusis in the UK?

Discussion in 'Support' started by FrontRoomFanatic, Apr 20, 2020.

1. FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      I wondered what my legal rights are broadly in the UK having tinnitus and (pain) hyperacusis?

I assume these conditions fall under the Equality Act 2010 as a result of them being hearing impairments? I am experiencing difficulty with conference calls and mobile calls at present and it’s making me think about how this could impact me in the future, should it progress further.

What happens if things do progress and my hyperacusis for example becomes unmanageable and I can no longer work? Would that be classed as a disability due to the severity, or would I have a fight on my hands to get recognition and financial support?

How many of you here are from the UK and no longer work due to the severity, and how do you manage to pay the bills?

I just want to find out to be able to prepare, as if it worsens it will be harder to figure out what I need to do at that time due to the impact the worsening will have on day to day ability. I feel it’s better to determine a loose plan just now rather than try to do so in a panic later. Thank you.

Edit: I should add that I have had a look online but can’t see anything specific, and I’m not sure where to go for definitive advice. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would also be appreciated.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. Cookies & Cream

Cookies & Cream Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      All I am going to say, is that it's good to act quick. I used to be in a similar situation, and I wish that I haven't had to endure so many Tinnitus spikes, in the past few years. I should have just changed my job or lifestyle, or something.. Too late now for me. I need to stay home, and wait for the cure. I know how it sounds, but that's just the way it is for me. Best of luck to you.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've been allowed to work at home two or three days a week, here in the UK. Of course we are all wfh every day now. Does ditchingthe headphones and relying on computer speakers help?

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      no, it's not legally considered disabling.

You can find yourself with tinnitus, hyperacusis, fibromyalgia, IBS, rhematory arthtitis, sexual dysfunction, auto immune disorders, neuropathy all combined along with mental disablities and legally you are basically no different then an able bodied athlete. As long as a health problem does not impair movement of limbs or nullify communication you are still good to go.

The legal system in the US and UK does not treat anyone "special" because of health problems. Disability is also usually black or white, there is no such thing as "partially disabled" either you are 100% or non. No inbetween.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Also pain hyperacusis is not even a real diagnosis yet. Translational research takes 17 years and it wasn't recognized until 3 years ago, so 14 more years until the research of Fuchs, Liberman and others makes it's way to the clinic as a recognizable diagnosis.

Good luck getting disability for a health problem that is not even a recognized diagnosis. Enjoy the "it's all in your head™. Especially if the tonal audiogram is 100%.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      But under the Equality Act 2010 it states that hearing impairments may be classified as being disabling and are a protected characteristic. And hyperacusis would fall under this category and is recognised by the NHS as a genuine auditory condition. I recognise that a person may have to fight their case depending on the impact on their day to day life, but this kind of highlights that it’s not black and white:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/s...owing-you-re-disabled-under-the-equality-act/

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      I don’t wear headphones any more due to risk of further damage. What happened in April of last year?

8. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      For me, I went to a concert and took my earplugs out half-way through, which I normally wear at concerts, because I didn't think it would be too loud.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      It's treatable with TRT, and as recommended it should be TRT with the specialized headphones NOT YOUR OWN. According to Michael Leigh TRT can cure hyperacusis.

I don't see why Governments should give people disability with a disease that is 100% curable (according to Michael Leigh).

10. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think this would be tricky because as someone mentioned, hyperacusis isn't widely recognized. To my understanding, those who are deaf are still expected to work? I'm sure there career services set in place to help deaf people find gainful employment

The problem here is that hyperacusis is the opposite of that being that you have issues with tolerating noise. This question has been posted multiple times on hyperacusis Facebook support groups, and the general consensus seems to be that you'd likely have to have Hyperacusis paired with a different disability in order to get anywhere, and often will have to involve a lawyer to get anywhere (strictly speaking for the US- but it's difficult for any sort of disability here!)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Do you mean sound therapy? The evidence for this for loudness hyperacusis seems unconvincing. And as it’s pain hyperacusis I have, from what I have seen it doesn’t seem to work for the pain variant at all. In fact all I see is people who have had their pain hyperacusis worsened by using the sound generators.

In terms of disability, I’m talking about people who have to wear ear defenders when they leave the house (and even at home) and have a debilitating level of hyperacusis. To the level where is is literally disabling them... meaning that they are less able than others to live their life than those without a limiting condition. With all due respect Michael Leigh isn’t advising governments on the efficacy of treatments. If it was curable why are so many people on this forum with the condition looking for support?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      FrontRoomFanatic
      Dreaming

FrontRoomFanatic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage (Music)
      Yeah I feel that it would be a bit of a battle to get recognition. However it would be a battle worth fighting for someone who is so significantly affected by it. I did think previously that a lawyer would be required in the event of significant worsening. Hope I don’t ever need to. Just good to get some research done for future reference should things deteriorate. Hopefully never need to act on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This shows the state is desperate to reform people who are outright miserable with their lives.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I agree that it would be worth it! I just know that my parents had a family friend who had some health issues (don't remember what but nothing like a limb missing or cancer or anything) + depression so they wanted disability and it took a couple years and a lawyer to actually get it. They don't make it easy that's for sure, and I'm sure having an "invisible" disability doesn't make things easier :( not sure how it is in your country though.

15. Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yeah. I mean I don't think all deaf people are miserable by default, it makes for a difficult life of course, but isn't really "chronic pain". Many lead fulfilling lives. I would rather be working and getting out of the house every day than sitting around at home if I was able to.

But I don't disagree with your statement in general.