What Are You Looking for in a Psychotherapist When Dealing with Tinnitus Related Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kriszti, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you participate in psychotherapy of any kind, could you help me out how to find the best option for dealing with tinnitus related issues to keep anxiety and depression at bay?

I'm aware that many of the members unfortunately don't have the best experience, but if you do, please share.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      This is only my opinion, but I think you have to be very aware of the fact that psychotherapy won't actually affect your tinnitus but may supply you with / become a means of coping with the worst of the attending ills of your tinnitus.

Since you are allowed to try out a certain number of therapists (here in Germany, I think - and please correct me if I'm wrong, it is up to 5 probationary appointments with up to 5 different therapists) before you are asked to decide on the one you would like to see long term, I'd recommend you to not settle for the first therapist to offer a vacancy.

I know it is tempting because sometimes it takes weeks if not months until a spot comes available, but if you settle for a therapist for whatever reason, it is only bound to backfire eventually.

You need to be comfortable with the person - and not just comfortable letting them have a peek at your pretend-happy side but comfortable showing them the real you and for things to get ugly. Since the therapist won't be able to offer you a cure or real relief, you need to be sure they actually have the patience for this because not being able to help will get to them, too. And you need to make it clear that the sessions sometimes may just be a means to unload you frustration with life and the world in general for you, or else, especially if you pick a behavioural therapist, you'll end up with lots of frustrating advice / tasks to try out as a homework, which is only going to emphasise your tinnitus-related limitations.

I guess, you should think very hard on what you would like to get out of therapy before you go looking for a therapist and once you have your list of expectations, you should communicate them to the person of your choosing so you can work towards the same goal.

Not sure if this is the kind of tip you were asking for, but I hope it might be a little helpful anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Soon I will be going to cognitive behavioral therapy and afterwards I can share my experience. My neurologist suggested this option but I had to wait almost half a year for my first visit to psychiatrist. I'll see how it goes...

• Like Like x 1