What Can We Learn from Animals?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Codaz, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Codaz

Codaz Member

What strikes me is that there is so little research on the hearing of animals. I know that test drugs on animals is preventable and in the future maybe not needed anymore. But what happens when animals get it? We know rats get it, but how about other animals? What about monkeys, since they have a similar brain to us. What is known about animal ears and auditory nerves? There are so many questions yet so little answers.

I'm not wishing any person or creature in the world T, to be clear. But we must understand before we can solve. Do ears of animals heal, do the brains of animals heal the T?

2. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Humans are the stupid animals that go around blasting their ears with music, taking toxic medication, and such.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

This is not what this post is about...

4. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Codaz I know and I didn't mean to offend. I was just being frustrated the other day. I was just pointing out that I am sure animals don't suffer from tinnitus like humans, because they aren't exposure to the traumas that humans inflict on their ears.

However, I think we should be studying different animals ears and hearing to see how theirs differs from ours. It might lead to a cure for humans by gaining more knowledge and understanding the ear/brain relationship. Perhaps, they are doing studies we don't know about, because isn't that they way they confirmed birds and fish are able to regenerate their hearing. Certainly, it is an interesting topic.

5. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      If I remember correctly I read other mammals can have tinnitus too.
      I suppose they will not think about it. For them it is a fact of life.
      It is not always noise induced. Sometimes something goes wrong and a monkey can have tinnitus too I suppose.
      I think there already are a lot of answers. But the hearing system (hearing/brains/processing in the brain) is so complex that much more insight is needed.
      Fortunately for birds their ears heal.
      So I also wonder if there is a bird on this planet with tinnitus:).

6. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Why is hearing system is so much misery still? It is a big freaking shame of science.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      We are.

• Like Like x 1
    9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      different animal models of tinnitus use different behavioral correlates; lots have been done with rats, but also rabbits, monkeys, etc. The work that's been done at the university of Michigan over the past few years involved inducing unilateral tinnitus in rabbits...

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

Birds ears heal? Is that confirmed?

11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes

12. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      When I was a child, we had a dog that went completely deaf. Now I sometimes wonder if the poor baby had tinnitus too.
      I had to tape our dogs metal tags together when my T and H started three years ago because the clanking sound drove me crazy every time they moved. That made me consider that the clanking sound might hurt their ears also, so I don't put the metal tags on their collars any longer.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I wonder, if there can be noticed any change of animal's (e.g. dog's) behavior, when we know that it have hearing damaged most probably followed by tinnitus?

14. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Inducing tinnitus in any sentient being is wrong.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Codaz

Codaz Member

Don't know, maybe they use the same hearing tests used on babies?

16. Kar4
      Not worthy

Kar4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Well, dogs can hear much better than people. And you can notice, that they don't care much to avoid loud noises. (although when distracted by sudden noise, they can go really mad...)
      and dog's bark can be very loud - imagine two dogs standing in front each other and barking.
      I think it must be quite common, that they partially lost hearing - or have damaged certain ammount of cells of inner ear?
      Maybe dogs are through myriads years of evolution adapted to it and their brain is able to complete filter tinnitus. Or even not generate it??