What Could One Do to Promote Nerve Repair?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bill Bauer, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I just realized that I never looked into what one could do to promote nerve repair.

I searched this site, but thus far I haven't found anything practical that one could do. Are you aware of any supplements that are known to be good as far as nerve repair is concerned? Is there anything else that one might try?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      B12 and magnesium are the only things I can think of that can possibly be of some help. Would like to know others, as I have nervous system anomalies.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. foliefortuna
      Sweet tooth

foliefortuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Disorder
      The nervous system is notoriously difficult to heal and fix. That is why a lot of people with spinal cord and brain injuries are never the way they were before the injury. Injuries and diseases of the nervous system are really sad.

Add on: Science is slowly finding ways to heal the nerves though. I read that scientists regrew cochlear hair cells in mice.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Magnesium and B12 were the recommendations I received, too. As well as giving it time.

When we discuss recovery and only advocate protecting from loud noises, I feel we miss a key component. Our brain and nerves play a key role. Maybe even one of the most critical parts since tinnitus is thought to be a result of the brain trying to fill in the missing gaps.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At least in the case of T the nerve hasn't been physically broken. We might be dealing with some kind of an irritation...

• Like Like x 2
    6. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      One suppliment that I am aware of that promotes nerve repair would be the Lion's mane mushroom. It is also called Hericium erinaceus (Latin name) or Yamabushitake (Japanese name).

What I found online where the following:
      - Lion's mane seems to increase nerve repair, source:
      www.braintropic.com/nootropics/lions-mane-mushroom
      To quote:
      ''A study conducted by the Tohoku University in 2008 explored the effects of mushrooms on nerve growth and came to a startling conclusion. Specifically, they concluded that out that out of all the edible mushrooms available today, it is only Lion’s Mane that has a positive impact on nerve repair. What happens is that some particles of Lion’s Mane are digested and distributed through the body – allowing them to cross the blood-brain barrier. Once these particles manage to pass the line, they are capable of directly stimulating the production of enzymes that release the Nerve Growth Factor and repairing nerve myelin. This ability to enhance nerve regeneration could be helpful in managing current conditions such as Alzheimer’s, dementia, senility, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s Disease, and other neurological problems.''
      - Another source where it shows to increase NGF (Nerve Growth Factor):
      www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3924982/
      - Its also discused on this forum, link:
      www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lions-mane-mushroom.10208/
      The side-effects are very low if any, and multiple studies have proven it to be non-toxic at different dosages even over extended periods of time. As a sidenote, the mushroom increases mental focus and attention which I find fascinating. I just ordered 200grams of this powder to experience the effects.

Vitamin D3 also increases NGF 'significantly', source:
      www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5353091
      Just don't take to much of it like I did (I took way to much and got temporary side-effects).

DMSO seems to be a very heavy chemical substance, lots of side effects noted there, thats not for me.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for the information, John!

How much did you take?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It might be the case that loud noises perpetuate the irritated state those nerves are in...

9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I'd like to know first of all whether I have any nerve damage.
      :dunno:
      I'm sorry, but I'm still on the diagnostic side...

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I doubt treating nonexistent nerve damage could do any harm...

11. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No problem, Bill!
      I made a mistake on the dosage and used 60.000UI per day for a week. Had some temporary pain in the bones because of that.
      Its possible to order a blood test online to measure your vitamin d3 levels and then take the appropriate supplimentation to bring it in balance. I found one in Holland on this page:
      https://www.cerascreen.com/products...5_vyVaWxokWdLNY1w111ar8qqbrFp3mUaApopEALw_wcB

12. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I'm not sure what to make of this because my T is so different, pretty much daily. Sometimes 1 tone, sometimes multiple which can include any of the following: ultra high, high, medium, low frequencies and an ultra low pulsatile one, plus some gentle hiss. Right now it's not good - a louder messy mix of pretty much everything with significant H, yet a couple of days ago it was montone high frequency and almost inaudible with hardly any signs of H or reactivity. If it was missing hearing then it should not be so erratic.
      Maybe it is some kind of inflammation or irritation.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I was told that I had low vitamin D levels about 10 years ago. I have been taking 1000 - 2000 UI per day for 10 years now. I am glad that taking 60,000 UI hasn't resulted in any permanent problems.

Thank you for letting me know about the online test. I will look into it!

I bought a one-month supply of Lion's Man mushroom pills today. It hasn't caused my T to spike - that's already a good news.

• Like Like x 2
    14. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you can find it fresh somewhere, it seems there quite tasty baked with some garlic, source:
      http://www.ourochreway.com/lobster-of-the-woods-cooking-lions-mane-mushroom/

• Like Like x 1
    15. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Useful Useful x 1
    16. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      What if you possibly got nerve damage from carbon monoxide? Or meds?

17. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Is there a test to see nerve damage in the brain? Also, can it look at the back and neck? or the top of your head?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I will be interested in hearing about your experience with this. I prefer natural remedies to pharmaceuticals.

I love mushrooms and would prefer to have them fresh, but I've never heard of these or seen them in the grocery store. Perhaps a specialty market?

19. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Im trying 3 other mushrooms at the moment as well: www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/mushrooms.27414
      Lion's mane is really difficult to find. I ordered the powder online.... but it was canceled because it was out of stock.
      Now I bought the fresh one instead from the only site in Holland selling them....... but it has been delayed 2 times now and if all goes well I will have them next wednesday.
      I also prefer a natural remedy, if there is some natural thing you can eat loads of that helps I would do it. Even if its a temporary effect, I could just keep eating it anyway. I don't like pharmaceuticals either.

20. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'd eat dirt if it would fix my ear.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hahahaha then we are in agreement! I know eating raw cacao beans tastes like crunchy dirt, but you feel really good afterwards, I felt a bit floaty and really happy when doing that, it does not help with T thow.

• Like Like x 1
    22. John_415

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The talk on Lion's mane and other mushrooms continues on my thead on mushrooms Link.

For the sake of not double posting I will quote myself:

23. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Just bought 60 capsules on line also. Trying everything so far, CBD didn’t work for me . Hopefully I can find something I can stick with.

24. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      How is taking folic acid for nerve damage?

25. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Once on it you never get off it. I still haven't.

Cell repair, though folic acid is more about red cell production.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I had a surgery and a nerve damage in my back, quite scary, and it was a really bad time in my life, much worse than Tinnitus.

I can tell you I studied a lot about it, and science is really behind it, but it is not that easy. Stem Cells are a great area of expertise and it is important that they keep funding it.

Usually, people with nerve damage that can recuperate have a same pattern: They fastly accept their new reality (this makes the body feel relaxed and activate a healing state, i can trully tell you this is true because it was what helped me the most), good nutrition, low toxic intakes and the most important work on the nerves. For example someone with a hand nerve damage will have to make exercises every day to regain movement, by recovering the nerve or making the body learn new ways of moving the hand.

There are other practices that can work, acupuncture may work, some med's can work too and some extreme diets accordingly to the nerve site may work too.

Personally, what i can tell you is that the moment i quited searching for a cure and enjoying and accepting my new reality it was the moment i started to recover, it sounds strange but there are biochemical explanations for this. The body and the mind are not so tense and the body activates a homeostasis state.

For auditory nerve it is a bit different, but i think it is no different than a brain injury, because it happens in the brain. Ketogenic diets seem to work, a good perspective for the future, doing exercise and probably taking some medicines to geet all the good nutrients from the body into the ears and brain are a good strategy to work.

Frequency therapeutics have an amazing science behind and I trully believe they can make an impact on auditoru nerve repair system. There is also quick advances on technology, like the one from Susan Shore, and all bio-technology looks really promosing too for nerve issues.

Science is working fast and what we must do is demand to our goverments funding for it , and also combine that with alternative treatments with science back up that can help to heal the nerves!

• Informative Informative x 1
    27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Amv Excellent post. Psychophysiology may be a way to understand the neural mechanisms of perception. I think that it will take years for medical physiologicalpsychology scientists to understand the true nature of tinnitus. What encouragement that we may have for now is what we already know, but biochemical research will be ongoing.

28. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Red cells in the brain would folic acid work there?