What Do Y'all Do for Fun?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DDD, Sep 19, 2016.

1. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      One of the (many!) problems and constamt anxiety i have with T is that I feel isolated and very limited about what I can do for fun ... I have reactive t and (mild to moderate) hyperacusis.

I'm just turned 18 and I wanna know what fun things I can do with my friends/family that doesn't require making my T worse.

Any ideas or suggestions?? I know that hiking sounds cool.. That's something I would like to try. Never done that before..
      I live in eastern nc by the coast close to VA if that helps..

2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to love hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing. I don't do shit for fun anymore, but I don't see how T and H alone would prevent me from doing those again.

Try going on a hike, just take lots of water and stick to the trails. I have no suggestions for your area.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i still go out with friends to quiet places, restaurants etc.
      Netflix, comic reading, and i guess hiking, rock climbing and bike are safe too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i don't really have fun. i don't enjoy my hobbies anymore and i live in social isolation.

5. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      You do what you've always liked to do with a degree of caution. That's what I do and it's been the best thing for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Try going to the beach and going fishing

7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Sometimes I do that too. Can I ask what medications or supplements you have had in the past are?

8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Dude. You gotta try Dungeons and Dragons. If you have imaginative friends, this quiet hobby will have you occupied for HOURS at a time. When you're immersed in that world, the real world almost fades away. It's super fun.

Also, playing CS:GO makes me weirdly accept my tinnitus temporarily... Like, I forget about it completely. The ringing makes me feel like a real Terrorist.

9. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection?
      Oh man, I run, read, bake, garden, play with my dog, hang out with friends and family, hiking is amazing! You should totally try it! I imagine the east coast has some beautiful hiking trails. Football is back! I watch my chargers lose and drink beer lol I do strength training workouts with my fiancé, which is highly entertaining. Get back out there! There is plenty to do that won't make your tinnitus worse :). I actually became a better baker and runner after I got tinnitus just to force myself back into a life of normalcy! :p

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I was going to say hit the gym, try to build your body and get laid, especially at your age ...but the profile says female
      Nevertheless - still applies to some extent

Won't make your T worse and relationships can be a lot of work which is perfect to take your mind off T

11. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Before I got tinnitus one of my hobbies was seeking out new music, and going to concerts. I listened mostly to hard rock and metal, which is one reason why I have hearing loss and tinnitus. My ability to listen to music the way I once did all changed after getting tinnitus so I had to seek out a new hobbies. Now, I have taken up photography. I bought a DSLR camera and learned how to use a couple of editing programs and I love it! I also joined a local photography meetup group and have met a few new friends. My new hobby relies on my eyes, not my ears. Having a camera has also motivated me to get outside and see places that I never would have gone to before.

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Lone walks as far away from humans as I can, with a book, and my camera. I really like the wind in the leaves.

_MG_3053.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    13. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Any outdoor activities, join a health club, do yoga, tai chi, keep busy and try to do most of the things you did befor T but anything loud where ear protection. Exercise gets rid of stress and works best for me.

14. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Screenshot_2016-09-20-16-21-18.png thinking of going hear......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      card games, hiking, dining out and somewhat limited motorcycling.

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I have been hiking, backpacking (although not this as much now, as I am older and carrying a bunch of stuff is harder), camping, sailing and paddling since I was child. Still do it now. Being outdoors always makes me feel calmer and happier. I co-founded and manage a women's outdoor group as a hobby.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I play guitar. Just not plugged in anymore. Still awesome

18. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Play video games...street fighter an madden is my escape lol...dont even notice the T when im focused. I do luv watching football as well

• Like Like x 1
    19. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      As well as going to Laughter yoga as above post I will be going here on Wednesday Screenshot_2016-09-22-23-39-48.png