What Do Y'all Do for Fun?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DDD, Sep 19, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. DDD

DDD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noice induced/acoustic trauma
      One of the (many!) problems and constamt anxiety i have with T is that I feel isolated and very limited about what I can do for fun ... I have reactive t and (mild to moderate) hyperacusis.

I'm just turned 18 and I wanna know what fun things I can do with my friends/family that doesn't require making my T worse.

Any ideas or suggestions?? I know that hiking sounds cool.. That's something I would like to try. Never done that before..
      I live in eastern nc by the coast close to VA if that helps..

2. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used to love hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing. I don't do shit for fun anymore, but I don't see how T and H alone would prevent me from doing those again.

Try going on a hike, just take lots of water and stick to the trails. I have no suggestions for your area.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      i still go out with friends to quiet places, restaurants etc.
      Netflix, comic reading, and i guess hiking, rock climbing and bike are safe too :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October, 2012.
      i don't really have fun. i don't enjoy my hobbies anymore and i live in social isolation.

5. Michael B

Michael B Member

You do what you've always liked to do with a degree of caution. That's what I do and it's been the best thing for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Try going to the beach and going fishing

7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Sometimes I do that too. Can I ask what medications or supplements you have had in the past are?

8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Dude. You gotta try Dungeons and Dragons. If you have imaginative friends, this quiet hobby will have you occupied for HOURS at a time. When you're immersed in that world, the real world almost fades away. It's super fun.

Also, playing CS:GO makes me weirdly accept my tinnitus temporarily... Like, I forget about it completely. The ringing makes me feel like a real Terrorist.

9. Honey_Bee
      Barefooter

Honey_Bee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Oh man, I run, read, bake, garden, play with my dog, hang out with friends and family, hiking is amazing! You should totally try it! I imagine the east coast has some beautiful hiking trails. Football is back! I watch my chargers lose and drink beer lol I do strength training workouts with my fiancé, which is highly entertaining. Get back out there! There is plenty to do that won't make your tinnitus worse :). I actually became a better baker and runner after I got tinnitus just to force myself back into a life of normalcy! :p

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      I was going to say hit the gym, try to build your body and get laid, especially at your age ...but the profile says female
      Nevertheless - still applies to some extent

Won't make your T worse and relationships can be a lot of work which is perfect to take your mind off T

11. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Before I got tinnitus one of my hobbies was seeking out new music, and going to concerts. I listened mostly to hard rock and metal, which is one reason why I have hearing loss and tinnitus. My ability to listen to music the way I once did all changed after getting tinnitus so I had to seek out a new hobbies. Now, I have taken up photography. I bought a DSLR camera and learned how to use a couple of editing programs and I love it! I also joined a local photography meetup group and have met a few new friends. My new hobby relies on my eyes, not my ears. Having a camera has also motivated me to get outside and see places that I never would have gone to before.

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Food poisoning.
      Lone walks as far away from humans as I can, with a book, and my camera. I really like the wind in the leaves.

_MG_3053.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    13. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Any outdoor activities, join a health club, do yoga, tai chi, keep busy and try to do most of the things you did befor T but anything loud where ear protection. Exercise gets rid of stress and works best for me.

14. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Screenshot_2016-09-20-16-21-18.png thinking of going hear......lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      card games, hiking, dining out and somewhat limited motorcycling.

16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I have been hiking, backpacking (although not this as much now, as I am older and carrying a bunch of stuff is harder), camping, sailing and paddling since I was child. Still do it now. Being outdoors always makes me feel calmer and happier. I co-founded and manage a women's outdoor group as a hobby.

• Like Like x 2
    17. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I play guitar. Just not plugged in anymore. Still awesome

18. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Play video games...street fighter an madden is my escape lol...dont even notice the T when im focused. I do luv watching football as well

• Like Like x 1
    19. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      As well as going to Laughter yoga as above post I will be going here on Wednesday Screenshot_2016-09-22-23-39-48.png