What Do You All Think About "Cycling" Supplements or Medications That Reduce Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jan 11, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I have read a few people on here that had success with certain medications or supplements and then they stopped later. Interestingly, I have had the same results BUT I read one post and had some personal experience when I significantly dropped a dosage of medication for a while and then increased it, it lowered again. I read one post on how Neurontin lowered a person's T and then stopped working. He stopped taking the medication and then later took it again and it lowered.

I have no idea what is going on but my theory is that for some medications the brain makes adaptations over time and the drug loses its effectiveness. Then once the drug or supplement is quit, the brain makes adaptations again possibly allowing the drug to work again at close to its original effectiveness. I certainly could be wrong here or maybe only partially right so don't take this as fact.

My thought is that certain medications or supplements (only taken for tinnitus) could be taken to lower T and then if tolerance is obtained could be tapered slowly off with a doctor's guide. Then sometime in the future be tried again to see if they work. However, I don't know if this is a great idea for benzodiazapines. Withdrawal can be absolutely horrid and I have no idea if reinstating them would be a great idea. Perhaps, if necessary, they could be used here and there on occasion in small amounts and it might work but you would have to check with a doctor about that.

My friend who does not have tinnitus also believes in cycling supplements like Valerian Root and Passion Flower because she says that they lose their effectiveness if taken a long period of time. She says by cycling them, they can work.

What do you all think? Any experiences with this kind of situation?

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It happened to me to take valerian root and notice results, but only for a little while, after which it lost its effect. This phenomenon made me wonder too.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      If you stopped it for a while try it again and see if it helps. If it doesn't I would say don't take it. Check out the comment by Marxman on this web page:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/gabapentin-neurontin.3162/page-4