What Do You Hear? Can You Describe Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by uae96, Sep 12, 2015.

1. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Can you describe you're tinnitus ?
      What sounds ? Do you hear it everywhere ? I'm just curious

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      About 10 different tones- 3 at each frequemcy low med high.
      I can hear most of them everywhere I go. Indoors in a quietter setting I hear it at about 60-80db loud....

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      :D
      Damn bro , sounds horrible I think u should try TRT:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I hear many sounds, similar to old hissing steam radiators, ringing bells and a higher pitch noise like a dental drill. My hearing aid masker, is set to 65 db's and my T is way louder than that. Driving in my car, at 50 mph, with all the windows open, cannot mask my T.
      It's maddening noise!

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Horrible :/ and still they do so little about it

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Mine is a pearcing high pitch hiss in both ears and can be pulsating too...lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 4
    7. I have an intermittent hissing and steady tone in my right ear and a steady tone and low rumble in my left ear. If I could be rid of one of the sounds it would be the intermittent hissing in my right ear. The hissing is not steady it's more of a electrical wire hiss and I sometimes just catch a wisp here and there. The hissing also reacts to air-conditioner type noises so it's never steady and even in louder environments I can usually catch a hint of it. Very annoying.

8. Why don't you contribute to the discussion yourself ?

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I hear a steady mid freq tone in my right ear and a strong hiss in both ears sometimes a fan like sound in my left in the morning but it tends to go away during the day , and I hear mine over most places except malls , restaurants and noisy rooms I have s moderate case of hyperacusis to

10. Barbara777

Barbara777 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      I hear a high pitch whistle, a sound like a sizzle as if frying something on the stove, and a screeching sound. The noises all react to sound, so at home they quiet down a bit, but once outside with road noise, people talking, restaurants, anywhere with continuous loud noise my t will go way up in volume until it is louder than the noise around me.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Artypawz

Artypawz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      15/08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sharp object in the ear and reoeated ear Infections
      About 5 different sounds. A constant low hiss which seems to be at the back of my head and somtimes sounds like it shifts from ear to ear now and again. A sound like a pc humming. A sound like a low ratteling which is similer to listening into a sea shell. A low buzzing like a bug is flying round- this one isn't that noticeable unless I listen for it.
      And my most hated and tormenting one is a high pitched ring that is intermittent but has gotten louder and more tormenting, it always goes off at certian sounds, but can go quiet at night. It spiked and started screeming at me when there were no sounds tonight. Night mare!

12. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Mine is a high-pitched hissing tone, with a ringing tone underneath. Also, I have a pulsating tone that sounds like a drumbeat. All these sounds are constant, and all in my right ear only. Left ear is normal.

13. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      When you say low rumble is it more like a drone/car engine left on:( sort of sound?

14. Kinda sorta, just a low bass rumble. It was worse when I had a cold but it's there. Honestly I don't mind it that much. The hiss sucks the worst.

15. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      My low rumble is horrible but hissing is definetly worse especially when it decides to react with sounds around!
      Hell!!!!!

16. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      It's like an old TV set,you know what you hear when you listen closely to the back of it.
      Outside it's very hard to notice,even downstairs it's not very noticeable only upstairs where i'm
      now it's much more amplified ( minus now me being influenced by meds ).

17. Yea i used to mistake the hiss for the sound of lamps, light fixtures, and electronics. Nope. That would be my head. My ringing is not noticeable unless I listen for it, plug my ears or am in a quiet room. But I can hear all of it if I give it my attention.

18. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Is your hiss still reactive?

19. Sometimes more than other times. It is a matter of focus but if I'm near an air conditioner/fan sound it is noticeably worse and harder to ignore. Sucks for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Brian Reade
      Cheerful

Brian Reade Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after chiropractic neck adjustment
      Mine is like what Dutchy decriibed. An extremely high pitch, much much higher than the highest note of a piano. Thankfully not loud at all.

21. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Left ear
      Hiss and and high voltage electricity overhead wires buzz steady at a reasonably high frequency.
      Right ear
      Whining buzz at a lower frequency than left ear that does flutuate. On the odd occasion it has stopped there is a hiss/rumble behind it but not loud.

Right ear is more annoying than left.

Loudness description: Drowned out by car engine, shower, room air conditioner.

22. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This doesn't work for hyperacusis tho :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Usually mine sounds like I'm inside a refrigerator, but I can hear the vacuum cleaner too. High pitched alarms are not heard over the siren in my head. It's mostly my left earm which also has some hearing loss to go with the eustacion tube that doesn't drain that ear. I would guess I'm at 60-90 decibels. I don't know... I had some quieter (40-50) moments this week. I enjoyed that! Mostly it's loud.

I am getting better at ignoring it again since the recent increase two months ago. But I can hear it on stage, with my musicians in-ear monitors, with sound blocking plugs. The stage can get up to 130 decibels. I sit right in front of the drums and next to the sub woofers in the wall. The drummer was especially enthusiastic this morning, but I never noticed. These monitors seem to be helping a lot!

The ringing seems to be louder on Sundays after church and after work on days I work. It's usually quieter in the morning. The ringing also seems to get louder while I'm on this forum thinking about it...

25. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Mine sounds like my ear escaping air. Like really.

26. Sarah Russett

Sarah Russett Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015 - April 2017 (now T-free)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I think nothing or only sometimes I bit of hissing in my left ear. IN my right ear an intermittent ringing tone, rather high-pitched. Mild I guess. Easily maskable. But ruined my life nonetheless. Last week I thought I might have heard silence, with just a bit of head sound, but maskable by anything I think. Nothing even when I plugged my ears in a completely silent room. Hasn't been that quiet for that long the whole time I think, but now it is back to normal maybe.

27. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      We have exact the same T but mine is in my left. Sometimes I thought it is gone but nope. It is here. Intermittent high pitched easily maskable but ruined my life. I wish I know the cause of it. It is like ddd dd ddd d d dd ddd.

28. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hissing/slight Ring in my ears with an electrical current going through my brain:(

29. Hil

Hil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Hissing which has changed pitch a bit, a low hum like a truck idling outside (sometimes is louder & sounds like idling motorcycle), morse code beeping which has morphed into a morse code metallic jangling sound, several solid, high pitched sounds, feedback-like sound (like when microphone gets too close to something).

30. MelodicTinnitus

MelodicTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have a very weird form of T. This are the sounds of my T:
      - A tone that can be heard as a plain tone but also as a ringing. It's mostly at note B, probably on the 4th octave.
      - A strange annoying stagnating higher tone, probably somewhere between note Cis and D at the 5th or 6th octave. Sounds a bit like morse code played very fast.
      - Last but not least, a sound that has always been very threatening to me: A weird radior hiss-like sound playing a sort of simple arabic melodies. With a sound like a radiator boiling, bubbling and steaming, it resembles simple but very scary arabic melodies, playing the notes C-F-Fis-F or Cis-Fid-G-Fis in random patterns, orders and rhythms, probably at octave 3 or 4.

The stagnating tone between Cis and D is the least threatening sound to me. I only remember the stagnating sound
      being played since somewhere in 2013.
      I can remember the ringing at B and the arabic melodies-radiator hiss being heard from at least since I was 4 (I'm 18 now), but the history probably goes further back, from at least since I was 2 or just turned 3. The arabic melodies-radiator hiss is of course the most threatening sound to me.