What Does a Creaking Sensation in the Ears Mean?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Apr 20, 2019.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I wanted a separate thread because the only other member here who had a similar sound and experience has not posted in a while.

Is there any theory for a creaking sensation in the ear - my right ear?

It happened recently, around Wednesday late afternoon and I noticed it was gone Friday morning.

It returned late Friday afternoon. I thought it was gone so I was so devastated when it returned. I find it more horrible than my ringing tinnitus.

Is part of tinnitus or something else? My jaw and throat were sore at times. The other poster mentioned something about a muscle. Could it be a muscle spasm or tube problem?

I desperately need it to go away. Incidentally, I got a spike around the same time as it became noticeable again. I think the spike is unrelated though because when it first showed up, my t was lower than usual. It had been lower the entire past week.

I am more depressed than ever and people urge me to see doctors and get pills. I just want this creaking to go away so I can deal with the ringing.

Theories for the creaking include the tinnitus which doesn' t make a lot of sense to me, etd: not sure if that is it, the muscle/tube problem: but, why? and an ear infection - that would cause a creaking sensation in my ear?!?

It seems like something physical is happening, there is supposedly muscles and fluid in our ears?

I wish someone with more knowledge could figure it out because it would really help me if I knew it could/would stop.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Could you describe what you mean by "creaking"? Do you experience it constantly, or is there a trigger for it?

3. HPMony

HPMony Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have some sort of clicking in my ears as well, although I dont know what triggers it, where it comes from and how I could stop it. Its definitely not from the Eustachian tube, it feels more like a muscle spasm in the ear, coming maybe from a muscle behind my ear, connected to my neck. I can hear it very well in my left ear, and notice it slightly in my right since about half a year in my right ear. No doctor could help me with it so far, but Im going back to an ENT end of May. Im hoping it is a reason for my tinnitus, as it is an objective sound and by finding out its reason I'll be able to make the tinnitus go away.

I read that vitamin D deficiency can cause muscle spasms, so I took a long sunbath this weekend. Ofc, if you have chronic deficiency that would not be sufficient. So far havent heard the clicking since, but I couldnt find out so far why it comes and goes...

If you could describe your creaking in other words, I think that'd help us give you better advice.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's hard to describe. I am paranoid now. This will sound silly but I am afraid it will show up if I think or post about it

I think it is a muscle spasm, too. I am afraid it might involve nerves, too.

I don't know if anything triggers it. It has happened when just sitting down and lying down. So far, I haven't felt it when going for walks.

It has both an audible sound of creaking ("eeek, eeek") like a door or walking on a wooden floor but obviously not as loud as those external sounds but I hear it. But, there is also a physical sensation which may be a muscle spasm. Your guess is good as mine.

It is most uncomfortable and when the t is bad, everything is worse. There is often a plugged up feeling or some ear pain, too, but not every time. I can only speculate but I wonder if the jaw, throat and ear nerves and whatever muscles are there, are related in this in some way. I don't know but it is awful just the same. :(

5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Cracking ears can associate to anything that causes tinnitus or any related physical problem. Most often there's fluid travel where some fluid may also be trapped - under jaw or ETD. Any cracking can be made more announced with ear wax.

If it happens when sitting down and laying down, sinus problems moves to the top of the list, but this is not to say that the sinus is cause as it can be secondary to TMD, ETD, throat, oral or another process. Fluid travel to other facial areas can happen and any ear wax can make it seem louder.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bostongeorge

Bostongeorge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @PeteJ

did the creaking/spasms ever stop or has the intensity gradually declined? I’ve been experiencing the same exact symptom for 7 months now. It feels like a physical symptom in my ear vs an audible symptom eg classic tinnitus. I can feel a creaking/pulsing sensation near where the tensor muscle lives. Please let me know.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, it improved. I have another problem or concern in which I just posted.
      But, I do have the occasional creaking, almost crackling sensation but it goes away. When it was really bad, when I posted here about it, it was very scary and worrisome because it happened often back then. I don't remember how long it lasted for but it did improve. I hope yours does, too.