What Exactly Is Going on with My Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gl0w0ut, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For almost a week now, I have been noticing a strange phenomenon in my hearing. According to an audiogram from last August, my left ear has borderline normal/mild hearing loss while my right ear remains largely in tact.

Two weeks ago I feared I was experiencing SSHL, but a visit to an ENT and use of a tuning fork test appeared to show this was not the case. Still, I have recently been feeling more stuffed up in most of my sinuses. What's disturbing about it is that my ability to hear music has been dampened. Softer vocals that I normally hearing are very difficult to hear, and for some reason high intensity sounds like drums are louder and more apparent than everything else in the song.

My perception of everyday noise appears to be fine, but the muffled nature of my bad ear is freaking me out. Maybe its a sinus infection? The last time I had a sensation like this was last June when I has sinusitis. I have been noticing minor symptoms of a sinus infection, but otherwise seem healthy. This muffled hearing is causing me a fair deal of anxiety because I am afraid of losing more hearing at my young age, who is already 10-15 years ahead of where I should be in terms of my hearing (I top out at 14-15k hz).

I don't want to give up my headphones, I am uncomfortable in public without them, and I do not want to use a hearing aid. Maybe when I turn 60 (if I live to that age) but not before. No one at my age should wear hearing aids and I don't want the stigma associated with using one, especially since my bad still functions to the level I need it to. I have wondered if my amphetamine use (Adderall XR) has been part of the loss of sharpness in my hearing, but those who experience that are heavy users and addicts rather than ADHD patients who are medicating themselves.

Sorry for the long winded rant but things appear to be muffled and it is very concerning. I am worried I waited too long to see an ENT and SSHL did occur, but rebounded with hearing loss before it could be noticed. The difference between my ears is more noticeable now and bothers me as much as the tinnitus.

Tl;dr: I have muffled hearing and reduction in sharpness of my hearing. A sinus infection in a minor possibility but am unsure what to do.

2. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      My friend,

I have had some sort of Sinus infection since Dec 2017. My hearing also sounds muffled, but sometimes things sound sharp. For example bird song is crisp and sharp, but at the same time I think things are muffled. Doesnt make sense does it lol?

Trying to get a good diagnosis is hard. I am seeing a new ENT on the 21st of this month. Same as you my sinus infection Seems to have cleared but I am going to get an MRI to see whats going on in my head.

Sinus, hearing + Tinnitus is very hard. I have been struggling but trying to be positive.

All the very best to you.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gl0w0ut
      Inactive

Gl0w0ut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Currently I'm going to assume its a minor sinus infection and will treat the condition as such. Recent inspection of my ears indicated no fluid or infection in any part of the ear. My hope is that this will clear up. Certain songs have been harder to enjoy.

And yeah, I get what you mean, although for me certain softer tones drop off quicker than normal, while harder, more intense sounds are louder or easier to hear. I hope this isn't true hearing loss.

4. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      I will add I also have ear pain, almost like a pressure issue. So I dont know whats going on. As I say half the battle is getting a decent ENT to take notice.

All the best to you.

5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I really understand when the muffled ear sounds cause anxiety! It does seem like you have some sort of sinus/allergy going on GlowOut. Your bad ear was examined by your ENT. I know it is difficult not to think the worse but this is something that can be fixed. Are you able to take antihistimines? Claritan during the day? This will help dry up any fluid that was not detected and may be the muffled ear cause.

When I have this it does make me feel really off and more anxious.

You will be okay.

• Like Like x 1